Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipping Goblin Gladiators  (Read 622 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Equipping Goblin Gladiators
« on: September 04, 2010, 12:11:44 pm »

So, i'm building a fort with the intention of invading Clowntopia with a frontline goblin army of 100+ gobblygooks.  I want to know..
If I strip them of their gear and release them in a room of superior =dwarven steel=, will they automatically pick it up and use it?  Or must I go without a goblin Christmas in order to give them a slaughtering fighting chance?

Also, do you know what non-atomsmasher traps work well against demons?  Would 100 goblins be enough to soften them up initially?

How many legendary killerdorfs in exceptional+ steel would you reccomend for the second wave?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:19:26 pm by janglur »

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping Goblin Gladiators
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »

I don't think they'll pick up random equipment to use. Best leave the goblinite where it is.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 01:23:20 pm »

How many legendary killerdorfs in exceptional+ steel would you reccomend for the second wave?
All of them. Except for seven chosen dwarves. Seal the seven off from the rest of the fortress prior to breaching the adamantine tube. Ensure they have all the supplies needed to start a new fortress from scratch. Then, you enlist and arm your entire population. Have them train for as long as you can stand it, and breach the tube.

The most fun part is trying desperately to reclaim the wreckage with your second starting seven when the clowns brutally slaughter your 150 dwarf army.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »

Depends on the demons. If they has dust breath and that you'll be in rough shape no matter what. If you get lucky and they are somehow just a bunch of flying humanoids you should be able to fight them pretty well with a large well trained force. Even so I bet you get a pile of dead dwarvesw pretty quick.

As for the armor you make "stout" armor in the width and height of dwarves. Goblins are about as tall but are "narrow." Used to be just same size numbers in the raws but that stuff is more complicated now. Nonetheless the armor you make will be the wrong size for them.

I don't think you can get them to just pick up and wear stuff anyway though. There's not a normal reason for them to want to do that so Toady probably never bothered programming it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:26:25 pm »

As for the armor you make "stout" armor in the width and height of dwarves. Goblins are about as tall but are "narrow." Used to be just same size numbers in the raws but that stuff is more complicated now. Nonetheless the armor you make will be the wrong size for them.

I think you have that backwards. In 40d goblin armor was "narrow," but 2010 got rid of the old size flags and now goblin armor is wearable. I assume that means dwarf armor would be wearable by goblins if they picked up equipment.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »

All of them. Except for seven chosen dwarves. Seal the seven off from the rest of the fortress prior to breaching the adamantine tube. Ensure they have all the supplies needed to start a new fortress from scratch. Then, you enlist and arm your entire population. Have them train for as long as you can stand it, and breach the tube.

The most fun part is trying desperately to reclaim the wreckage with your second starting seven when the clowns brutally slaughter your 150 dwarf army.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:53:56 pm »

This is merely a thought (completely untested). Is it the fact the it's =Dwarven "STEEL"= that would be the problem? To do with what civ type/restrictions that the goblins come from? I haven't seen any normal goblins in much more than iron, so maybe =Dwarven Iron= would do the trick.

If not, just leave them their shields, maybe a weapon (or not) and let the Fun begin.
It's a game. Have fun.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:59:21 am »

This is merely a thought (completely untested). Is it the fact the it's =Dwarven "STEEL"= that would be the problem? To do with what civ type/restrictions that the goblins come from? I haven't seen any normal goblins in much more than iron, so maybe =Dwarven Iron= would do the trick.

If not, just leave them their shields, maybe a weapon (or not) and let the Fun begin.

Nope, they can't pick iron up either.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".