Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Talk to Deities, maybe Armok?  (Read 4027 times)

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
Talk to Deities, maybe Armok?
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:16:42 am »

So in adventure mode you can end up worshiping some stock deities, but when you try to talk to them (in my experience) they never respond. Is this just a placeholder for later? Also, does Armok ever turn up in the pantheon of the gods in DF? I've never seen anyone worship Armok... he must be displeased.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Talk to Deities, maybe Armok?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:18:16 am »

If you pray enough to they will grant you superpowers. You do need to pray over 2000 000 times without saying anything mean to them.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:19:02 am »

I'd think that every time you spill blood you are worshiping Armok.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:10:55 pm »

I chuckled when I first discovered this feature. Without wanting to insult anyones belief system, how often do gods talk back to their followers in real life? ... Exactly!

And I've started to consider Armok more a Nyarlathotep style being, something that the feeble gods of The Enchanting Planes (or what have you) would cower from and they themselves worship if they ever met. Or something.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:41:50 am »

I chuckled when I first discovered this feature. Without wanting to insult anyones belief system, how often do gods talk back to their followers in real life? ... Exactly!

And I've started to consider Armok more a Nyarlathotep style being, something that the feeble gods of The Enchanting Planes (or what have you) would cower from and they themselves worship if they ever met. Or something.

Yeah. Thats not really offensive. It's true. Even when God does talk its not always with words.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:49:03 am »

Yeah. Thats not really offensive. It's true. Even when God does talk its not always with words.
When Armok talks, its with MAGMA
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:43:23 pm »

Or with falling goblins from the sky...
Oh wait, thats dwarves, nevermind...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:47 am »

I just noticed this when trying to talk to a merchant. It was after telling I'd join a priest's order, but I can't tell if you need to do something like that or just hear of the god (Esmin in this case).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:41 am »

If you pray enough to they will grant you superpowers. You do need to pray over 2000 000 times without saying anything mean to them.

total bull.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 01:12:23 am »

So in adventure mode you can end up worshiping some stock deities, but when you try to talk to them (in my experience) they never respond. Is this just a placeholder for later? Also, does Armok ever turn up in the pantheon of the gods in DF? I've never seen anyone worship Armok... he must be displeased.

Now for an actual answer to the guy's question.

• No, praying doesn't do anything. Presumably it might at some point in the future; who knows?
  • There isn't a stock list of gods in DF, they're generated procedurally/randomly for each civilization. As a result, there's no Armok in DF except for in the title, which is mostly just a throwback to the previous "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood" game.

There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 02:57:09 pm »

You can directly worship Armok!? HOW?!
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 03:03:33 pm »

Did you read the thread? You can't. There is no Armok.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 03:27:03 pm »

Did you read the thread? You can't. There is no Armok.

Oh. Too bad.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »

It might be possible, if "Armok" is a possible name for a god the name generator can spit out (I am genuinely unsure if this is possible), it does, and you happen to hear of him.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 03:49:15 pm »

It might be possible, if "Armok" is a possible name for a god the name generator can spit out (I am genuinely unsure if this is possible), it does, and you happen to hear of him.

Armok is from Slaves to Armok 1 when if you had both arms, it would say ARM_OK
Pages: [1] 2 3