Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Talk to Deities, maybe Armok?  (Read 4025 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Talk to Deities, maybe Armok?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 04:01:22 pm »

^I knew "slaves to armok", but not the "Arm: OK"

I sort of figured Armok wasn't a real possible name. Do deity name generation work the same way as regular names, or is it from a set list (even if everything else about the deity if random)?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 04:30:22 pm »

You can directly worship Armok!? HOW?!

Did you read the thread? You can't. There is no Armok.

Oh. Too bad.

You can't worship Armok in-game because the player IS ARMOK. You know, the unseen force that controls the construction of Dwarven Fortresses and demands blood sacrifices, creating a collective consciousness among the Dwarves? He just occasionally possesses some poor sap in a town somewhere and makes him go on a rampage, gouging out people's eyes for fun (i.e. Adventure Mode). The deities that you encounter in towns won't talk to you because, unlike the mortals, they can sense Armok's presence within you.

They FEAR you.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 04:32:36 pm »

Oh. Too bad.

You can't worship Armok in-game because the player IS ARMOK. You know, the unseen force that controls the construction of Dwarven Fortresses and demands blood sacrifices, creating a collective consciousness among the Dwarves? He just occasionally possesses some poor sap in a town somewhere and makes him go on a rampage, gouging out people's eyes for fun (i.e. Adventure Mode). The deities that you encounter in towns won't talk to you because, unlike the mortals, they can sense Armok's presence within you.

They FEAR you.

AWESOME! I AM ARMOK!
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »

It might be possible, if "Armok" is a possible name for a god the name generator can spit out (I am genuinely unsure if this is possible), it does, and you happen to hear of him.

Armok is from Slaves to Armok 1 when if you had both arms, it would say ARM_OK

No, I believe that "arm_ok" was the name of an internal variable in Dragslay.

AWESOME! I AM ARMOK!

Just in case you're unclear on this, he's making that up. Well, he's not making it up, but it's not true either; that's just one of the fan in-jokes going around.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 04:44:20 pm »

It might be possible, if "Armok" is a possible name for a god the name generator can spit out (I am genuinely unsure if this is possible), it does, and you happen to hear of him.

AWESOME! I AM ARMOK!

Just in case you're unclear on this, he's making that up. Well, he's not making it up, but it's not true either; that's just one of the fan in-jokes going around.

1. Nonetheless, it counted how many arms you had for inventory purpose.

2. Yes, I am fully aware that I am not actually Armok.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 10:06:50 am »

It actually makes sense that the player is armok, "slaves to armok, god of blood"
The poor sods you controll in the game are as close to slaves as you can get.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 02:34:14 pm »

It actually makes sense that the player is armok, "slaves to armok, god of blood"

That was the name of the game prior to this one; DF has it in the title as a sort of holdover, basically to make it clear to the Armok fans that he wasn't completely ditching the concepts in that game.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 03:57:00 pm »

AWESOME! I AM ARMOK!

That last line was... completely uneccesary.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »

No, it wasn't. Also, I've decided I am the physical embodiment of Armok. I demand blood sacrifices.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 04:46:37 pm »

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:36 pm »

I think it's too late for me, I'm already an "ardent worshipper of Tode Cherishedhouses the Flowery Business" ("consider hospitality!") If I do ever find Armok, he'd probably smite me in disgust. Then again, I might be redeemed by spreading Empire-wide bloody holy war in her name. Can you imagine the biggest Empire around worshiping such a pansy deity? I wonder if they're regretting it now;]

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 05:12:32 pm »

Since I am Armok's physical form, we (Me and Him) would be will to grant you penance if you agree to convert to Armok and make a blood sacrifice. (Remember, Armok loves goblin sacrifices!)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 05:15:09 pm »

What, on top of the blood already spilled? If you can't get enough blood sacrifices, then we'll get along well, because I can't either.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 05:20:28 pm »

Well, we are gods of BLOOD, so yes, we do enjoy blood sacrifices.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 11:04:56 pm »

Oh. Too bad.

They FEAR you.

Well, Its time to make the stone table to drag my unfortunite victems onto, After all I am the physical embodyment of Armok.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice
Pages: 1 [2] 3