Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mules  (Read 321 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mules
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:08:37 am »

I had the genius idea of having a limited meat industry using MULES!!!

Why?  Because I'm lazy and I want meat without having to deal with the annoyance of out-of-control breeding.  I want a limited meat industry here.

Question: does it matter whether you use horses or donkeys for the females?  What would be the best way of going about this?  Can caged males impregnate free-roaming females?

Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Mules
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 06:57:56 am »

It's a good idea, but there's one problem: Horses and donkeys won't actually interbreed. Top dwarven scientists still aren't sure what causes mules to spontaneously appear at the mountainhome, but the only way to get more mules is to import them, or wait for them to come with immigrants.

But if you want a meat industry it's fairly easy to control the population by sticking anything you don't want to breed in a cage. A single built cage can hold an unlimited number of creatures, and caged creatures don't breed (females that got pregnant before going in the cage can still give birth). Or you could just slaughter everything as soon as it matures except for your biggest male and two or three females.