Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An "Ignore Creature" option  (Read 1479 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
An "Ignore Creature" option
« on: September 04, 2010, 04:43:47 am »

An option while viewing a creature to make dwarfs ignore it unless it attacks them or destroys a building.The reason why I am suggesting this is so it stops "Urist McCoward cancels action:Build floodgate, interrupted by harmless butterfly" interruptions.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An "Ignore Creature" option
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:45 am »

Or even better, option to either ignore this creature or all creatures of this type.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:51:09 am »

Damn, I was going to post something like this.

I'd like an
  • rders option which can be set to "Ignore nothing/Ignore small animals/Ignore large animals/Ignore hostiles".

Ignore nothing would be as now.

Ignore small creatures would ignore creatures smaller than dwarves, but you'd get interrupted by larger or same-size creatures.

Ignore large creatures would mean you're only getting interrupted by invaders.

Ignore hostiles means completely blinkered dwarves that would hunt down EVERY. LAST. SOCK.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:29:42 am »

Both idea's are great :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:18:48 pm »

Unfortunately the suggestion your asking for is basically mind control.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:26:07 pm »

I think it should be based on whether or not the creature can actually reach them.  Case in point, I had a forgotten beast that had somehow gotten close enough to the fort to interrupt jobs, but at the same time was in a difficult-to-reach location (I think it was flying around part of the cavern that was walled off and ended up staying on a small ledge).  This wouldn't have been a huge problem if the beast wasn't in a spot right next to the stairways that led down to the alcohol, food, and well...had I not noticed the problem, all of them may have starved.  Runesmith took care of it in the end...

I could have fought it but it probably would have been impossible due to that same stairwell serving as the way up to the level I'd need to use to access it.  Bear in mind this is an extremely rare situation...in most other cases, you can draft a quick squad and take down the creatures.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:41:47 am »

So is forcing your dwarfs to burrows, making them pull levers and controlling them to their death isn't it?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 05:51:39 am »

How about a new personality attribute for Dwarves... Courage, the higher it is the less chance there is that the Dwarf in question will run away from a creature (dangerous or otherwise); It could also have other effects, like controlling how much damage a Dwarf will willing take before retreating and how much a Dwarf is willing to risk him/herself in dangerous terrain (flooding usually) to complete an assigned task.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:53:24 am by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 05:53:49 am »

Or why don't you had [NO_FEAR] to your dwarves?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:56:53 am »

Because then they all become terminators.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 06:12:46 am »

How about a [FEARFULNESS] tag that judges how scary something is?

A fearfulness of 1 will never interupt a dwarf
A fearfulness of 2 will only interupt a dwarf if it goes into a certain proximity with them
A fearfulness of 3 will make your dwarfs run the moment they see it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »

So is forcing your dwarfs to burrows, making them pull levers and controlling them to their death isn't it?

Those can at least be explained away.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 10:12:47 pm »

So can this. It's like the dwarves being given instructions not to run away from harmless creatures, but, say, flee if a wild horse appears.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 10:21:52 pm »

Or, you know, given instructions to not be retarded...

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »

Because then they all become terminators.

If they were terminators, they wouldn't be mauled to death by goats.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: [1] 2