Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-in hilarity  (Read 1315 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Cave-in hilarity
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:56:04 pm »

Adamantium cave-ins instadeath everything, despite how little the stuff weighs
Also, do cave-ins atomize the collapsing layer as well as killing everything underneath it?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-in hilarity
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:10:52 am »

*Adamantine

Rocks fall, everyone dies. I think certain soil layers get damaged, I dropped some ceiling into soil and it broke through it, revealing the tiles below.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:33:20 am »

*Adamantine

Rocks fall, everyone dies. I think certain soil layers get damaged, I dropped some ceiling into soil and it broke through it, revealing the tiles below.
So If I drop an adamantine floor on somone, will I be able to salvage the adamantium from it?
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:39:23 am »

*Adamantine

So If I drop an adamantine floor on somone, will I be able to salvage the adamantium from it?
I don't know if it works with metal stuff, but collapsing constructed rock/wood things deconstruct.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:23:52 am »

*Adamantine

It's really NOT worth it... basically dropping a whole layer of rock (ANY rock) will instakill anything, so why waste precious funmetal like that?

Magma_science

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Human wrestler!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:50:27 pm »

It's really NOT worth it... basically dropping a whole layer of rock (ANY rock) will instakill anything, so why waste precious funmetal like that?
Why not?

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 02:03:33 pm »

Why not?
Because mining raw adamantine is risky, and might result large quantums of Fun. It's the best metal in the game for anything but blunt weapons, so wasting that precious, treasured metal on some atom-smashing you can do anywhere else is a horrible waste.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:13:10 pm »

I don't think you guys understand.

Typically, each square of adamantine gives one unit of adamantine ore and leaves and an adamantine floor. If you were to channel out that floor, it would leave behind empty space. If you were to cave-in that floor, would it turn into more adamantine? If this is the case, you can double your yield like this.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »

This isn't wasteful, IT. IS. SCIENCE!!!!!

But no I do not beleive collapsing anything other than a construction will cause raw materials to come out.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:56:19 pm »

This isn't wasteful, IT. IS. !!!!!SCIENCE!!!!!

But no I do not beleive collapsing anything other than a construction will cause raw materials to come out.

Fixed. Especially since we're talking about HFS metal.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Magma_science

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Human wrestler!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 02:58:31 pm »

Why not?
Because mining raw adamantine is risky, and might result large quantums of Fun. It's the best metal in the game for anything but blunt weapons, so wasting that precious, treasured metal on some atom-smashing you can do anywhere else is a horrible waste.

If it's wasteful, inefficient, risky and stupid it's worth doing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »

Why not?

[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:100]

Solved your adamantine shortage.

EDIT: Why am I seeing more Homestuck avatars as of late?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 11:38:36 pm »

Why not?
Note: This pillar KILLED the majority of the HFS. Now I need to descend into hell to get back my pillar of adamantine.