Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What ESRB rating would you give Dwarf Fortress Fortress mode  (Read 11413 times)

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: What ESRB rating would you give Dwarf Fortress Fortress mode
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2010, 12:27:28 pm »

I just want to put in here, that online mods for games, can count towards the esrb rating. I reference Oblivion, which was a T, but got reevaluated to an M, because of an online fan made mod.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2010, 12:35:20 pm »

I just want to put in here, that online mods for games, can count towards the esrb rating. I reference Oblivion, which was a T, but got reevaluated to an M, because of an online fan made mod.

There's almost no way this is true. If it were, games could easily get re-evaluated to AO because some guy made a stupid sex mod.

Mods don't count. Content that is in the original game but made inaccessible except through mods can count. See: "Hot Coffee".

[edit]
And that's apparently exactly what the case was. Someone made a mod that unlocked particular content that was already in the game (a topless female texture). Also, the ESRB re-evaluated content accessible through the game itself, such as some of the violent content, which it apparently hadn't gone over very well before.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:38:03 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2010, 12:57:57 pm »

DF would get the highest rating due to the "killing children" aspect. And it wouldn't be sold in Wal-Mart or GameStop because of that.  And, unfortunately, some politician would probably attempt to use it as a stepping-stone for their careers, and it would be "made an example of" to all the other game developers and hobbyists.
I'd like to watch them show screenshots of the game on mass media.

"This following clip may be offensive. Viewer discretion is advised."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You sick bastard! That is tooo violent for TV >:(! I think I'm gonna be sick :-[
Oh noez! My delicate sensibility!  :(

On an unrelated note, what DID happen?  :P
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2010, 01:05:50 pm »

Judging by three pink ampersands at the middle building, the player has unleashed the HFS. But that leaves the question about WHERE SUCH A CRAPLOAD OF HUMANS CAME FROM?!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2010, 01:12:12 pm »

Judging by three pink ampersands at the middle building, the player has unleashed the HFS. But that leaves the question about WHERE SUCH A CRAPLOAD OF HUMANS CAME FROM?!
It looks like a Human Town to me :P
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »

It looks like a Human Town to me :P
Or IS it? Da da daaaaa
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

Obviously it's human town, but well, there's over 200 people there!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2010, 01:57:36 pm »

Search for recent threads titled "humans", it's a town some adventurer found with 1000+ humans in it. The save is in that thread for folks to have fun with. :)

Edit: I even suggested some contests to do with it.

Edit2: Linky: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64157.msg1494955#msg1494955
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:59:46 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:05 pm »

There's almost no way this is true. If it were, games could easily get re-evaluated to AO because some guy made a stupid sex mod.

Mods don't count. Content that is in the original game but made inaccessible except through mods can count. See: "Hot Coffee".

[edit]
And that's apparently exactly what the case was. Someone made a mod that unlocked particular content that was already in the game (a topless female texture). Also, the ESRB re-evaluated content accessible through the game itself, such as some of the violent content, which it apparently hadn't gone over very well before.

Hope this is right link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESRB_re-rating_of_The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »

Rated & for obvious reasons.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2010, 12:16:09 am »

[edit]

Hope this is right link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESRB_re-rating_of_The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion

Right, but I have no idea what you're trying to say by posting it. It agrees with me, and is where I got a lot of my information. Content introduced in mods has absolutely no bearing on ESRB rating; it wouldn't make sense otherwise.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]