Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Newbie Question, or Bug?  (Read 970 times)

Btwilley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid Newbie Question, or Bug?
« on: October 07, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »

In my current fort I didn't really pay attention to the settings. It's some type of stamp or marsh, and cold. I remember that.

The problem that I'm having is that there are no animals. Ever. Nothing has wandered across the map in the last 5 years. Also every time I try to import a critter they die in the cage on the way into the fort. All of the critters brought with immigrents work just fine though.

Any thoughts?

ekkud Egenid was supposedly killed by one of those "elephant" things the commoners have started dreaming up. I swear he killed himself just to piss me off with their lame fantasy.
I do wonder how he managed to break his own back though.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Newbie Question, or Bug?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »

What is the biome?

To determine this, back up your fort, abandon it (the fort, not the backup!), and go to "reclaim fort." The biome of the fort you are reclaiming will be mentioned here.
Then, restore the backup.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

The reason stuff dies immediately is that the temperature is too cold for them. You can either turn off temperature in the file /data/init/init.txt, or just get them inside as quickly as possible. The reason the ones that are brought with the immigrants survive is because they're following the immigrants, which head straight for the entrance. At least, I think that's what's going on.

What does the outside look like?

Btwilley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

Freezing
Temperate Freshwater Swamp

The strange thing though is not that animals die, it's that none have ever walked through at all.

Maybe we just need like mammoths modded in....

ekkud Egenid was supposedly killed by one of those "elephant" things the commoners have started dreaming up. I swear he killed himself just to piss me off with their lame fantasy.
I do wonder how he managed to break his own back though.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

It's a bug.  I've run across it a few times, and the best way to prevent it is simply abandoning as soon as you realize no animals are forth coming.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »

Yeah, I've had a cold freshwater marsh in one of my maps, I've never seen any creatures at all. I'm going to guess there's just simply nothing set to live in a cold or freezing freshwater marsh.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

Mashes and swamps in general have very few creatures set to live in them. I've only ever seen the occasional alligator or crocodile, and they might not show up at all in cold ones.

I believe there is a mod around somewhere on the forum or on the wiki that adds more, though I can't remember what it is called offhand.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »

I've had this problem before.
I created a world and there was no animals at any of my fortresses. Ever. Never knew why. I created a new world and it worked fine, so I simply deleted the former and continued playing.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »

Yeah, some generated worlds have various bugs. I had one with no inn or shops in any human town.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

I once had a world without human or elven caravans.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

That last one doesn't sound like a bug.  Are you sure all of the different civilisations were in communication range?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 10:27:00 pm »

Do you mean a fort without human or elven caravans?

Then that isn't a bug, that's a feature. Not all civs can reach everywhere in the world.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 12:36:00 am »

Actually, it was an inexplicable error that was possibly the result of something screwy when I changed computers.  It's in the past.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA