Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: how to entice someone into playing dwarf fortress  (Read 3642 times)

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
Re: how to entice someone into playing dwarf fortress
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 11:16:30 pm »

am am not younger than my profile suggests so your statement, in my understanding is a lie
i cant make a labyrinth i dont understand pressure plates

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:28 pm »

Oh ho ho, what is this? Whatever reason could you possibly having for going on the defensive so very quickly, my rather odd, though rather amusing friend?

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 11:19:49 pm »

well sir it is because i am always at the ready to defend the truth

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 11:20:08 pm »

Well, i originally thought...
Dears sir, you must have adequate planning! When my knife brought upon itself the duty of trimming my facial topiary, did it go about it without an idea of how the battle would be executed? No! It knew that the jungle that lies upon my upper lip was a ferocious, if quite civilized, beast, and it planned accordingly.
this is quite possibly the best thing i have read all day also who the hell lies on the internet i AM actually 16 as my profile suggests
And just to be sure, this is all in good nature, correct? I do not want to be upsetting somebody, well, at all really. My apologies if i am mistaken.

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 11:21:30 pm »

Well, i originally thought...
Dears sir, you must have adequate planning! When my knife brought upon itself the duty of trimming my facial topiary, did it go about it without an idea of how the battle would be executed? No! It knew that the jungle that lies upon my upper lip was a ferocious, if quite civilized, beast, and it planned accordingly.
this is quite possibly the best thing i have read all day also who the hell lies on the internet i AM actually 16 as my profile suggests
And just to be sure, this is all in good nature, correct? I do not want to be upsetting somebody, well, at all really. My apologies if i am mistaken.
it is sir and i am unoffended i enjoyed your question because it made me think

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 11:40:31 pm »

Let the Emperor purge this heretic for his crimes against grammar.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2010, 01:22:13 am »

Grey9 strikes the grammar in the upper body with his =steel war language=!

The grammar is thrown back by the force of the blow!

The grammar collides with an obstacle and explodes in a cloud of gore!

The grammar has been struck down.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2010, 01:22:54 am »

No! It knew that the jungle that lies upon my upper lip was a ferocious, if quite civilized, beast, and it planned accordingly.
Sigged. It just speaks to me.

Captain Fromunda

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hey guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 08:47:08 pm »

this may be a bit late but....your friend is obviously not cool enough to play DF. Some people just can't understand the majesty. Me personally, I couldn't understand DF until I made the solid commitment of an entire afternoon to it. This was after I stumbled upon Boatmurdered, of course. Being a fan of huge sandbox games, DF just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »

I'm still in favor of slapping him with man-meat, myself.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:48 pm »

Being not so cultured my good sir as can be seen by my skills in puctuation, i am foolish enough to try
If you lopped off being and replaced it with "I am" then you could replace that comma with a semicolon. Sentences like that are probably at odds with you thought processes. Might want to invest some time in skilling up your pinky fingers on keyboards seeing as we seem to be so hostile to all lowercase letter posts these days.

-

You could tell your mother that it is a game about friends who start families and then try to keep their children safe from goblins. Or sexy beards and the inevitability of magma baths.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:35 pm »

If you lopped off being and replaced it with "I am" then you could replace that comma with a semicolon. Sentences like that are probably at odds with you thought processes. Might want to invest some time in skilling up your pinky fingers on keyboards seeing as we seem to be so hostile to all lowercase letter posts these days.

Completely off topic, but I actually have a problem with using too many semicolons.  I blame it on taking a few years of German; they use semicolons to the point of excess.  Like, entire pages of text that are technically one sentence.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 10:41:54 pm »

so ive got a friend who obsesses over minecraft but will not play dwarf fortress how can i get him to have some fun

Solution is very simple. Let him read good old Boatmurdered SUCCESSion game http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/
And if anyone hasn't read that yet, you better do that as well.

Just a few flashbacks:
Quote from: StarkRavingMad
"Here, I've made an amulet of all the history I know. Look, it's an elephant slaughtering dwarves by the hundreds. You can really see the bones and gristle! If you check the back, there's a lovely rendering of a butterfly jamming the fortress doors open. Also, more elephants killing dwarves."
Quote from: Bremen
I ran out of coffins.
Then I ran out of designated graveyard space.
Most of you are spending your eternal rest in the garbage dump.
Quote from: Major Failure
"This was settled as a damn mining camp," I say, "and as of this fucking moment you now fall into two categories: miners and the cocksuckers who keep the miners alive. No fucking jewelers, no fucking mechanics and no fucking craftsdwarves. Do I make myself understood? I am going to sit down at that rusty, piece of shit magma forge and crank out copper picks, and you can use them to get some fucking mining done so we have the space to start a new town."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 11:34:53 pm »

Boatmurdered kicks exorbitant amounts of ass, so I'd definitely agree with the others on that.

Of course, if anything is sure to get someone interested in Dwarf Fortress, it's the Dwarf Fortress TV Tropes article! That's the first place I heard about it, and the reason for my lifelong addiction. TV Tropes is a Gateway Drug indeed...

The irony here is that a few people are bound to get addicted to TV Tropes because of this very post. Especially since I keep dropping all these pot holes in it.

Yeah, so anyway, try that.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Olreich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2010, 02:18:50 am »

I will not feed the trolls.
I will not feed the trolls.
I will not feed the... wait a second, why are there no trolls in Dwarf Fortress? High fantasy world my a**! I want trolls da**it, motherf***ing trolls!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5