Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: how to entice someone into playing dwarf fortress  (Read 3653 times)

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
Re: how to entice someone into playing dwarf fortress
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »

i dont think you guys understand how badly i want a companion to play dwarf fortress with who isnt asian
i cant make a labyrinth i dont understand pressure plates

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »

That is racist, and unacceptable!

Just have him sit down with you, and essentially walk him through making a fort, using some sort of graphics set. Either he'll like it or he wont. If he doesn't, give up.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 09:47:07 pm »

heres the deal i dont give up i showed him this

and he was all i want that third kind of fun but isnt there a shortcut to the last part i then proceeded to deal a hammerer style punishment on him i also have no problem with my asian friends except that they like to do forts by the book without hi-jinks and and always make sure i get my come-uppance when i pull hi-jinks

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 09:49:12 pm »

THAT. That, is amazing.

Just sit him down and teach him. It'll take four hours of both of your time, to get an infinite amount of fun.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 09:53:38 pm »

THAT. That, is amazing.

Just sit him down and teach him. It'll take four hours of both of your time, to get an infinite amount of fun.
carp your advice is very helpful even though it sounds like the start of either a romantic comedy (replace my friend with a girl) or a micheal cera style comedy like superbad on that note this thread has officialy become a thread for a title+tagline for each of those movies

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 10:14:49 pm »

You're going off on a tangent now. A very grammar deprived tangent. Seriously, what did punctuation ever do to you to make you detest it so much?

Urist McPoster cancels finish rant: Too insane

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:08 pm »

You're going off on a tangent now. A very grammar deprived tangent. Seriously, what did punctuation ever do to you to make you detest it so much?

Urist McPoster cancels finish rant: Too insane

Punctuation, my good sir; wasted my time.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:08 pm »

You still aren't using it properly. That is not how a semicolon is applied.

Back onto the main topic, lest I start a debate about the intricacies of the English language and their benefits and drawbacks in the context of a forum discussion.

You should probably just leave your friend be. Pestering him about it will probably just drive him further away from the game. Let him work it out by himself with only a minor "Hey, you should play this". And if he doesn't, well, it's just too bad.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:32 pm »

I say beat him up. A few knocks to the head should do the trick.

Then tie him to a chair and force him to play it.

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 10:25:31 pm »

I say beat him up. A few knocks to the head should do the trick.

Then tie him to a chair and force him to play it.
question is how would i tie him securely yet still leave his hands available to play may i be the first to suggest the hangmans noose or the monkey fist knots

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 10:27:50 pm »

Oh ho ho ho ho, oh dear, oh my, oh hilarity that rains from the sky!

I was just meandering along this path, here, as I saw that the gentlemen who initiated this rather interesting thread was not a very good typist. Then, and this is perhaps the most wonderful part, he attempts to give us our rightfully earned punishment by executing a display of such punctuational diversity that we could not help but admit our defeat. Sadly, he was unable to do so properly, and just as I was opening my mouth to tell him that he was not doing this well, another person says so in my stead!

Relating to what brought you here, I do agree with Mr. Gearheart. You cannot force someone to play a game, especially one such as Dwarf Fortress. However, you can subtly hint at the beauty that lies behind the difficulty.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 10:33:45 pm »

Oh ho ho ho ho, oh dear, oh my, oh hilarity that rains from the sky!

I was just meandering along this path, here, as I saw that the gentlemen who initiated this rather interesting thread was not a very good typist. Then, and this is perhaps the most wonderful part, he attempts to give us our rightfully earned punishment by executing a display of such punctuational diversity that we could not help but admit our defeat. Sadly, he was unable to do so properly, and just as I was opening my mouth to tell him that he was not doing this well, another person says so in my stead!

Relating to what brought you here, I do agree with Mr. Gearheart. You cannot force someone to play a game, especially one such as Dwarf Fortress. However, you can subtly hint at the beauty that lies behind the difficulty.

like in the image posted above acquired from encyclopedia dramatica my good sir?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 10:39:46 pm »

Wot? I am just a vurry sophisticated man, yus yus! I have no time for this "encyclopedia dramatica" of which you speak, nor am I privy to what goes on within it! If I must, I could go adventuring in the depths of India for it, but there might be tigers, yes?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:18 pm »

or you could adventure the depths of dwarf fortress and encounter... what TIGER MEN!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:48 pm »

The first step you should take is to direct said friend to the story of boatmurdered. I have no idea exactly how many people have probably been drawn into this game through that story, but I'd put money on it being in the thousands by this point.

It does an excellent job of portraying the humour and gameplay of Dwarf Fortress to the unenlightened masses without making their heads hurt.

If, after reading it, he still does not wish to play Dwarf Fortress, giving up would be wise. Some people just don't like some types of games, I'm afraid to say.

(As a quick sidenote, your responses are hilarious, Organum)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5