Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Always bet on the Duke!  (Read 4430 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Always bet on the Duke!
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 07:09:48 pm »

Gamespy put their two cents in. They say the game is one giant in-joke, to the point where Duke even cracks jokes about the slowness of the release within the game. Graphically, they say it's pretty much fine, which means only about 20% of people will bitch about the graphics.

I think it's pretty much assured at this point that it will do well enough to fund a sequel, whether or not the game warrants it. As Gamespy put it so succinctly "Gearbox doesn't buy IPs to make one game and then dump it." Name recognition alone will probably get the game above indie-dev revenue levels, and Gearbox is big enough to soak some of the cost of developing another one.

I don't see myself even pirating it. The only thing it really seems to have going for it is that it's Duke. But I'm not 15 anymore, and playing a game just to hear super macho catch phrases of the days of 'yore isn't a compelling enough reason for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 07:10:52 pm »

12 years of planing, 2 months of development.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 07:47:20 pm »

After Apogee (renamed to 3D realms at the time) was shut down, Duke Nukem was handed over to another developer. Not sure how you guys didn't notice. Anyway, my point is that developer probably started more or less from scratch. So about a year of development time so far I think.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2010, 11:16:50 pm »

After Apogee (renamed to 3D realms at the time) was shut down, Duke Nukem was handed over to another developer. Not sure how you guys didn't notice. Anyway, my point is that developer probably started more or less from scratch. So about a year of development time so far I think.
Not quite, the maps shown in the current trailer, and the trailer from 2 years ago look mostly the same. They may have modified the engine slightly, but honestly, I doubt they rewrote and redesigned it from scratch.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 11:24:45 pm »

Who is going for the realistic view, which consists of the fact the title was picked up by some studio who actualy makes games, and wanted to cash in with a generic FPS with duke's face over it, making use of the huge fan following and expectation gathered in the last 12 years to achieve its monies?

I sure am. And I know I'm right because even though I know it'll be nothing interesting or innovative, I'll still play it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 11:29:05 pm »

Well, we'll see how much the new guys keep of Apogee's work- and whether, after 12 years of stagnation(?), Apogee's work is actually good.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 11:29:56 pm »

And I know I'm right because even though I know it'll be nothing interesting or innovative, I'll still play it.

Personally, I don't think I'll bother.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2010, 02:40:13 am »

I think the "Forever" in it is a pun on how long they want us to wait  >:(
Did you come up with that joke yourself?
He must have, I have not heard anything involving that line in a humorous way for the past decade. In fact looking back I wonder how nobody ever made such an obvious joke.

And dammit, this thread always catches my attention despite me having nothing to grant to the conversation.

This post is one of the reasons I always bet on you.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]