Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Always bet on the Duke!  (Read 4437 times)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Always bet on the Duke!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 01:41:04 pm »

That's assuming it's not a 10 year long hoax. =p
Oh yeah, just like with SK Rougelike. Though much more elaborate. That would be biggest troll in history.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 03:17:32 pm »

I just watched the alleged demo. At the end it states it was made with maya. Not sure how people simply missed the credits at the end that even included the site and email of the guy who did it.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 03:28:10 pm »

I just watched the alleged demo. At the end it states it was made with maya. Not sure how people simply missed the credits at the end that even included the site and email of the guy who did it.

That is not the alleged demo. I was just watching the ustream, where PAX attendees were being walked out to play the game on PCs (although with 360 pads, as it's easier to setup and saves space)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 03:33:26 pm »

Oooh. I need to go find that one then.

And if it's going to use game pads, it sucks by default.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 03:34:52 pm »

Oooh. I need to go find that one then.

And if it's going to use game pads, it sucks by default.

It's mostly a convenience for PAX showfloor. But most games are playable with gamepads anymore, sadly.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 03:40:14 pm »

Yeah. It was just console-hate-mode active.

To be honest, for a duke nuken game, console-esque controls wouldn't make much of a difference. It's not like duke has ever been a complex game with lots of keys to press.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 03:42:57 pm »

What games AREN'T playable with gamepads, besides like...sims (of the flight/mech or the city variety)?

Well, strategy games I guess...hm.

Okay, how many FPSes aren't playable with gamepads?  Hint:  If you're a FPSRPG and you don't allow me to use the arrow keys to navigate your menus, then you suck.  If you can use arrow keys, you can certainly use a gamepad.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 03:52:04 pm »

We haven't seen this game yet so I'll save my judgement for it instead of saying 'it's gonna suck'. It can never live up to 30 years of development time but it could be fun on it's own :P

Twenty years dude.  Duke Nukem didn't come out in 1980.  But yeah, still a long-ass time.
Ok, the first game came out in 1991, the 3D game came out in 1996.  It was almost 15 years, so the original figure was 50% exaggerated.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 03:52:17 pm »

Why do I get the feeling that if DNF releases, regardless of how bad it might be, it's going to catapult the IP to levels of popularity it never really deserved, just for having survived against all odds? It's a game based on Aliens, tits and saying guy stuff.

I always remember DN as what a game IP would be like if written by teenagers. Something kind of sticks in my craw when I think about that and the millions of dollars of development that was spent on it. I think Yahtzee put it best. (paraphrasing) "How many decent games never even get a chance because all publishers care about is wasting titanic amounts of money on stupid IPs that should been let die their natural death a long time ago."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 03:54:07 pm »

To be honest, for a duke nuken game, console-esque controls wouldn't make much of a difference. It's not like duke has ever been a complex game with lots of keys to press.

Jetpack! Drop holoduke! Use medkit! MIGHTY FOOT! Strafeswitchweaponsjumpcrouchuseobjectswitchitemsuseitem
I left out the other special items.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 03:55:37 pm »

This game.

The first game I ever watched my dad play as a wee pup was Duke Nukem.

This has. The entirety of why I became a nerd. The legacy. Within it.

If it's bad, my life is a lie.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 04:02:24 pm »

Nono Sowelu, my thing with gamepads is not with being gamepad playable, it's when a PC game is forced to fit into a gamepad sort of control. eg. Limited keys, 4 powers at a time, Crazy shit menu keys that you cannot change (read games for windows live), radial menus, aim-help, and so on.

You know, the things pc games inherited from consoles when people started making multiplatform ports.

I'm all in for better and easier controls (SystemShock is a great example of something that would be better to play with more modern controls schemes) but not for limited controls.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 04:05:28 pm »

Even if the game play won't be that original, what make Duke Nukem likable is that it doesn't take itself serious.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 04:17:13 pm »

The thing with DN3D was that it was fun and challenging. It was basically doom without any seriousness and with half-naked chicks.

I'm not sure I would have the patience to play it nowadays, however.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 09:06:39 am »

The thing with DN3D was that it was fun and challenging. It was basically doom without any seriousness and with half-naked chicks.

I'm not sure I would have the patience to play it nowadays, however.

And much more interesting, realistic levels, and hugely improved freedom of movement, and some actual semblance of a plot, and much more interesting and unusual weapons and...
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4