Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Man Management  (Read 948 times)

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with Man Management
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:53:17 am »

Well I have got my Fortress to a massive size of 96 Dwarves......Not by choice.

I have drilled down into the Magma sea and have Furnances down there. Unfortunately my dwarves spend more time sitting around drinking beer and not enough time working. And advice on haulers and management would be appreciated.

gilesguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Man Management
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:21:32 am »

I usually have a generic workers class of mason/engineer/herbalist/smelter/hauler for the dwarves without millitary skills dwarves, and if you have access to goblinite, you should never run out of ore to smelt, once you get into seiges. Megaprojects are another way to get rid of idle dwarves, by either building it or "accidents"
Crafty human Bastards! We should kill all Elves!

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:35:24 am »

I have access to the bad ores unfortunately.

I have stuff for them to do but they dont go and do it. Build BINS till the come out my ears incase they need more space to put the stuff.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:54:24 am »

Double check to make sure they have hauling enabled, and that the goods aren't forbidden, if they're not doing work at all.

Scrippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:28:28 am »

Turn hauling off for your dedicated workers, and make small materials stockpiles around the workshops themselves. That should keep your dedicated dorfs smithing and give your lazies something to do.

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:56 am »

Trying to make smaller stockpile but the problem I am having is there is Mica ALL over the place and nearly no free space for the stock pile. THinking about making one outside to free up space.

No Iron ore but loads of Gabba and Mica.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:52:58 am »

Trying to make smaller stockpile but the problem I am having is there is Mica ALL over the place and nearly no free space for the stock pile. THinking about making one outside to free up space.

No Iron ore but loads of Gabba and Mica.

This may be of interest to you.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:00:23 am »

I've been digging garbage chutes into the magma sea and dumping loose stones down there.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:45:41 am »

Hot/scorching climate appears to me to make your dwarves need to drink more (a lot more, for scorching).  You might try putting a drink stockpile close to the work area so at least they don't have to walk as far.  Also you might put in a well as near as possible, since they take essentially no time to drink out of the well vs. doing keg stands for hours with booze.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:02:00 am »

I only have appropriate hauling labours enabled for my dorfs, and have a dedicated hauling caste made of peasants and anyone who I didn't need when they arrived.  Except doctors and miners, who are always stay with that job regardless if I need them or not.

My full caste system is:
Farmers
Booze Makers and Chefs
Engineers
Masons
Miners
Haulers
Smiths, divided into what type of smith
Crafters and Weavers
Woodworkers
Professional Vandals
Animal Managers
Doctors
Nobles and Administrators

A dorf cannot leave a caste without getting legendary in a non-caste skill.  For multiple legendaries, the more needed skill is used to determine caste.  Illegal aliens are put into whatever caste I need, regardless of skill excluding Master level or higher, in which skill is used.  Only hauling needed in the job is enabled.  It is a bleak and oppressive world my dorfs live in, with little choice.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 11:37:41 am »

Do you have 4 or 5 dwarves per caste?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 05:08:34 pm »

I only have appropriate hauling labours enabled for my dorfs, and have a dedicated hauling caste made of peasants and anyone who I didn't need when they arrived.  Except doctors and miners, who are always stay with that job regardless if I need them or not.

My full caste system is:
Farmers
Booze Makers and Chefs
Engineers
Masons
Miners
Haulers
Smiths, divided into what type of smith
Crafters and Weavers
Woodworkers
Professional Vandals
Animal Managers
Doctors
Nobles and Administrators

A dorf cannot leave a caste without getting legendary in a non-caste skill.  For multiple legendaries, the more needed skill is used to determine caste.  Illegal aliens are put into whatever caste I need, regardless of skill excluding Master level or higher, in which skill is used.  Only hauling needed in the job is enabled.  It is a bleak and oppressive world my dorfs live in, with little choice.

Meh, this looks awfully complicated... Myself, I have dedicated
- miners (which diversify in something else when they reach legendary)
- smiths (with only the appropriate labor enabled)
- doctors (see above)

The rest of the rabble are mason/carpenter/mechanic/furnace operator/wood burner/butcher/tanner/hauler + whatever profession they had when they migrated in. The workshops where quality is an issue are restricted to the skilled ones. I never have more than 15-20% of idle dwarves at any moment, and it's usually less.