Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Full Set" of Armor  (Read 21537 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Full Set" of Armor
« on: September 03, 2010, 04:19:28 am »

What exactly constitutes a "full set" of armor?  There are all these different options for the different items you can make, but some seem useless, and others mutually exclusive.

What's the difference between a Cap and a Helm?  I've heard that you can wear a Cap AND Helm, but that doesn't quite make sense.
You can wear chainmail as well as a breastplate for the body, but for the legs do grieves and leggings work together the same way?
What's the difference between low boots and high boots?  High boots sound better, and so I use those in my armor, but I feel like I'm missing something.
How about Bucklers and Shields; any tradeoffs there?

Currently I have my dwarves outfitted with the following bronze armor:
Helm
Breastplate
Chain Mail
Gauntlets
Shield
Grieves
High Boots

Am I missing anything here or is this a full set of armor?  Also, can I add in any leather items which I might not be able to make out of metal or might be synergistic with a set of metal armor?  Like will Leather Mittens work inside Bronze Gauntlets?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: "Full Set" of Armor
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:25:01 am »

I think you can wear Leather under mail under plate.

As for low/high boot, cap/helm and buckler/shield, they are basically the same thing, covering the same body part, but the former got less defense than the later.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:42:26 am »

well...

here's an masterfully crafted magma wiki article; it menaces with spikes of knowledge.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor

basically, each piece covers a certain part of the body (plus some extend to other parts) and has a size and a maximum size that can be worn under it

in theory, you can wear:

2 caps
1 helm
6 hoods
3 mail shirts
1 breastplate
4 cloaks
1 pair of mittens
1 pair of gauntlets
1 greaves or 1 leggings (greaves are better but heavier)
(also some combination of trousers or skirts or whatever)
1 pair of socks
1 pair of high boots or low boots (low boots weigh less, but don't cover as much)

and probably a shield

and that leaves out any equipment you can't normally manufacture in vanilla dwarf mode.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:22:14 am »

Are multiple coats of mail actually more effective than just the first one?  Also, do I need to make the caps out of leather in order for them to fit under my helms?

I've looked at that article, and though it probably does contain all the information I need...I couldn't really figure it out.  Which is what the forums are for!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 05:26:13 am »

I'll just mention a few points then:

- Cloaks. The one equipment slot that can protect your face. You need cloaks in a full armour set.
- Chain mail covers the arms, breast plates don't.
- Wearing too much armour means your soldiers will be useless slow unless they're very well trained in Armour User.
- A cap is a simple hemisphere that tightly fits your head and a helm has more size, decorations and all that.
- High boots are better, but sometimes you end up with a dwarf civ who don't know how to make them, only low boots.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:15:38 am »

The compromise I've been using has been:

leather cap, cloak, trousers, gloves
metal helm, mail shirt, gauntlets, high boots, greaves, breastplate
cloth socks

You need socks and gloves to make sure fingers and toes are covered, though sometimes it seems to keep my dwarves from wearing foot armor at all, which is very annoying.

PeterMcBeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:39:45 pm »

I have never been able to get my dwarves to wear the theoretical limit described in the wiki. I think your flasks and backpacks count as being worn on your upper body so that brings it down. Also the order your dwarves put stuff on matters.

Here is all the stuff I have been able to stack on my uber militia commander:

2x adamantine mail shirt
1x adamantine breastplate
1x adamantine cloak (I swear I got up to 3 cloaks on him once but now he starts taking off the breast plate before putting it on)

1x adamantine helm
6x adamantine hood
(I can never get caps correctly with everything else)

1x leather trousers (would be adamantine but every time I forge one some random dwarf claims ownership of it and throws it on the floor in their room, stupid bug)
1x leather greaves

2x adamantine gauntlet
2x adamantine mittens

2x cloth socks (once again should be adamantine but the stupid ownership)
2x adamantine high boots

Make sure you actually check your dwarves inventory to make sure he is wearing the stuff and hasnt just claimed it.  Also socks before shoes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:41:52 pm »

Can't you forge adamantine greaves?

Also, can somone draw this? please?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.