Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to safely "process" dangerous caged beasts + question about caged goblins  (Read 1075 times)

Kreny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello fellows,

I have a problem. Right now, some "Gigantic creature resembling a human almost unparalleled in size" entered my region and now it is caged in my fort entrance. And question is, how to safely butcher/kill/whatever it ? I can't kill it (by bolts) while it is in cage, right ?

And one question, if I put caged goblins in front of my fort entrance, will they frighten their friends ? I had about 10 caged goblins there and their fellows were not aware of my traps at all :)

Thanks for help

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make an arena, and feed it goblins =D... Assuming he can't fly, of course

And no, once a goblin is a in cage, for all intents and purposes, it no longer exists until you remove him from said cage
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Wasn't that beast immune to traps? usually one have to make special "cave-in-cage-trap" to capture titan or forgotten beast. If it's not immune, then drop it into pit with traps and wait while it's being sliced by serrated discs.
If it is immune - well, you'll have to make numerous cave-ins to shock the beast and make it vulnerable to traps.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kreny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if I put it into pit then isn't there a risk that it will destroy doors which are on the bottom of the pit ?
Can't I set it into fire somehow ? (I don't have magma)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if I put it into pit then isn't there a risk that it will destroy doors which are on the bottom of the pit ?
Can't I set it into fire somehow ? (I don't have magma)
Well, don't leave there any doors. Use raising bridge instead - they aren't destroyable. Or just patch it with constructed wall
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By the way, I feel that atom smasher WILL work on caged megabeast. Need to check, though...

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

chances are, the beast is too big to be smashed
judging from the description of GIGANTIC creature UNPARALLELED IN SIZE

And no, you can't destroy bridges that have a moat
but I think if you' don't have a moat then it can just walk up and destroy the raised bridge
I know dragons can do that, at least

Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

dig a pit 10 z-levels down. designate it as a pit/pond. assign the beast to the pit. your dwarves will (despite this being a hostile creature) lead it into the pit, where it will fall down and promptly explode in gore :P
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

chances are, the beast is too big to be smashed
judging from the description of GIGANTIC creature UNPARALLELED IN SIZE
You ain't smashing the beast itself, you're just smashing the CAGE that contains it. =) I have feeling that due to that annoying "pocket dimension" feature cage will be destroyed, with the side effect of beast's disappearance.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And no, you can't destroy bridges that have a moat
but I think if you' don't have a moat then it can just walk up and destroy the raised bridge
I know dragons can do that, at least

Really? I always thought that raised bridge can't be destroyed, like a wall. It just can't be raised with beast standing on it. Need to check it too...

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to safely "process" dangerous caged beasts + question about caged goblins
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 08:03:18 am »

At Beeskee's suggestion, I recently started throwing cages containing live critters into magma - the cages melt/burn, and the critters inside actually do die (they show "deceased" on the unit list).  I haven't smashed any with a bridge though, I'll try that too.  It is WAY less fiddly to just dispose of the entire cage rather than build it, link to lever/pit occupant, even though it makes the dwarf who built it unhappy when you destroy a masterwork cage.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to safely "process" dangerous caged beasts + question about caged goblins
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 08:04:00 am »

hmm, I'm not sure anymore... although I distincly recall a dragon destroying one of my bridges

Anyway, is there anyway of moving the dragon once he's been caged?
I tried just moving him from cage to cage, and I lost 3 dwarves doing it when he escaped
any suggestions?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 08:36:39 am »

Make a custom animal stockpile that only takes dragons, and set your main animal stockpile to block dragons; or build the cage somewhere, if that's what you want.

Jazzfunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:11 am »

Dump the cage, or build it somewhere.  When i need a caged beasty dead, I usually make a bridged death pit surrounded by walls and gate.  Build the cage inside, use levers to raise the gate and open the cage.  Then when the monster wanders onto the bridged pit, use a lever to drop him.  Make sure your pit is sufficiently deep enough, 11-20 z levels would probably work. Haven't tried it with building destroyers that could topple the gate, but there's probably a way to make that work.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:53:24 am »

You could use the good old support trick: build some wall supported only by a support, then release the megabeast near the support: it will destroy it, bringing cave-in death on him. Just do not build that over your legendary dining room.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: [1] 2