Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: one dwarf challenge  (Read 2894 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
one dwarf challenge
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:13:23 am »

Is it at all possible to play as normal with only one dwarf? apart from the whole "If s/he get's injured you're screwed" problem?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: one dwarf challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:18:43 am »

Sure. You just have to make sure not to start doing anything you think might have a chance of horrible death or injury to the dwarf. Which in DF means pretty much anything.

But with built walls and floors, most if not all dangers can be evaded. Even if you hit the caverns with your hermit.

Doing things will be slow of course, and you'll still have migrants showing up from time to time but if you have the route to your spot blocked it's not a problem.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:53:38 am »

The other six dwarves can just be left outside to die. Make an outside burrow/corral and assign them to that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:55:41 am by AngleWyrm »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:55:56 am »

Of course you need to make sure that the dwarf you pick as your hermit isn't a friend with everyone of the other dwarves. Having all of your friends die at the same time(or around the same time, right after one another) can prove... disastrous.

Alternatively.

Seven dwarves. Seven picks. Seven hermits.
Final destination.

Propoints if you start making little hermit forts all over to be eligible for moods.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:11:35 am »

Extra points if you can make every immigrant hermits too.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:28:24 am »

You can also do a two-man crew to get the same feeling, with the bonus of being able to take care of each other, and hopefully not be grudging.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:33:41 am »

Extra points if you can make every immigrant hermits too.
Yes, hermits in the pit of firey death happiness. Alternatively, I breach HFS with my old fort (seasonal backup happens to have left the last couple of tiles till breach not mined), adamantine floor the tube, and sacrifice the rest of my fort to build an adamantine hermitage. For one of the unskilled peasants I just obtained.
You can also do a two-man crew to get the same feeling, with the bonus of being able to take care of each other, and hopefully not be grudging.
not a good idea, especially if you have them of opposite sex. The riskiest thing in the entire fort is obtaining the lumber for a bed. Seriously.

Before I waste hours of IRL time, are adamantine doors/walls/other buildings/etc unbreakable?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:14:36 am by lolghurt »
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:33:51 am »

No, they aren't. Walls, floors, stairs, ramps and fortifications are indestructible, even if they are made of talc or glass. Buildings, doors, bridges and workshops are all destructible, regardless of what they are made of.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:51:21 am »

Buildings, doors, bridges and workshops are all destructible, regardless of what they are made of.

I seem to recall artifact doors (et cetera) were indestructible. Did this change?

I tried a dead-civ embark lately, and every single one of my starting seven had a grudge against at least one of the other dwarfs.   The expedition leader had three.  I guess being the last survivors of your race can wear on a dwarf's nerves after a while....  Made "repopulating the species" a bit tough.   I might try a dead-civ hermit challenge now for a change of pace. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:00:58 am »

Buildings, doors, bridges and workshops are all destructible, regardless of what they are made of.

I seem to recall artifact doors (et cetera) were indestructible. Did this change?
As far as I know, this was never true. All buildings are currently treated the same, regardless of quality or material. (Buildings being anything built with the (b) key that isn't under the (C)onstruction menu

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 11:07:09 am »

As far as I know, this was never true. All buildings are currently treated the same, regardless of quality or material. (Buildings being anything built with the (b) key that isn't under the (C)onstruction menu

'k.  Must've been one of those dwarven-urban-legends. 

I might test it next time I get a siege: just setup the entrance to route to a dog or something chained behind a locked artifact door or hatch.  But you're probably correct.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 12:44:35 am »

yay buggy embarks.
When I'm done with the construction, I'll post a screenshot of the hilarity of what spawned in the corner of the map.

Edit: Holy crap, one of the waves of migrants just auto-mayored my hermit
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:50:18 am by lolghurt »

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 01:10:06 am »

(I know this is completely off topic, but I feel really bad about making my own thread for a single question)
How does one achieve embarking with the last 7 dwarves of dwarvenkind?
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 01:15:40 am »

Adventure mode + MASS MURDER
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 01:30:47 am »

There's something enticing in the PerfectWorld docs:
Before we do a final export, there are some parameter fields that we want to look at so we can start you off with a bit of control. The number of caves in your world is a very important number. The default numbers from the MEDIUM_REGION should be pretty good numbers, but if you find that the world gen process is unusually short, you might turn the total number of caves down. Caves are home to terrible civilization destroying creatures who can easily get the upper hand and destroy all civilizations in the first few years of the age of myth. Turn these numbers way up and you’ll find that the world gen process will last only a few seconds! That is because very few historical figures will be born into the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3