Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: BYOT mafia: Night 2 - 13/19 alive - Delicious  (Read 53535 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: BYOT mafia: 19 players and 3 gamblers
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2010, 03:35:23 pm »

Eduren, is webadict being aggressive town or defensive scum?
Why must it be one or the other? Are aggressive scum and defensive town impossible?

To actually answer your question though, I believe that he is being aggressive towards Bayer, but as to whether he is town or scum has yet to be seen and could possibly be gleaned by how he continues his aggression.
There's more options than it's really feasible to list, so I asked about what would generally be the two end brackets, and assumed you'd say C: Other if that's what the answer was.

Which you did, but basically by stating the obvious and declaring you had no opinion of it.

Eduren, is webadict being aggressive town or defensive scum?
Eduren beat me to it. Why is it one or the other? That's a fallacy. You're forcing a dilemma on someone by giving them two options, as opposed to a range of valid options. Also, you're refusing to ask me the question, making an indirect attack at me, and you'd be using someone else to determine whether a bandwagon would suffice. Those are all scummy. See, this is a direct attack, scumwad.
It's not a fallacy if I give a range of valid options? What if the right answer isn't in said range? Why's it a dilemma- are they going to forget other options exist? Who said I wanted to ask you the question? How's asking what someone thinks of you an attack? Why's one random person's opinion going to tell me whether I can bandwagon you?

Awfully manic there, especially about yourself. What are you afraid I'll ask?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2010, 03:42:41 pm »

It's not a fallacy if I give a range of valid options? What if the right answer isn't in said range? Why's it a dilemma- are they going to forget other options exist? Who said I wanted to ask you the question? How's asking what someone thinks of you an attack? Why's one random person's opinion going to tell me whether I can bandwagon you?

Awfully manic there, especially about yourself. What are you afraid I'll ask?
Your question implied two sole options, hence implying a false dilemma. If you had given no options, it would have been less of a fallacy.

I'm afraid you'll ask pointless questions, get us nowhere, then turn on someone town.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2010, 03:49:56 pm »

That's not a question to ask Toaster, it's a fact I made.

So you're inventing facts.  Got it.

Nolor:  Bad choice.  It clouds your thinking.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »

And coming around the bend, it's...
Webadict!?

Vector, ironyowl?, Toonyman, Toaster

Org, eduren
ottofar,nolor

...SEPTUPLE-POST?! oh, good, it's gone.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2010, 04:28:02 pm »

voting on solifuge.

Go read some tutorials and come back when you know how to play.  Solifuge isn't even votable.

No, an exemplary answer is saying screw the question and firing back. You didn't test to see the point of the question, questioner, or even why you should answer. You just answered it, bringing minimal effort and scumhunting into the entire game.

Heck, I've got a new thing we should try. It's called nothing. Let's all do nothing. Oh, want to ask a question? It has to have explicitly no purpose or relevance to the game in question. Been asked a stupid question already? Why, it's your turn down at Unintelligence to chain letter your own brand of ignorance.

[...]

So, start nit-picking lines, because there's plenty for seconds and thirds.

His question wasn't dumb, Webadict.  Mine might have been dumb in your eyes, but I know precisely what he was doing.  I know why he voted me first out of all the players here, and I know that he's probably town.  I know what answer he's trying to get, and I know which traps he set in his question to catch the unwary.

So bug off, Webby.  I may not be roasting Rysith on an open fire, but I know what I'm doing.

@Vector: Is that really the question you're going to ask Spartan? Really? Why don't you try something relevant to the game at hand, that might work better.

Yes, that's the question I'm going to ask.  I'm trying to get something done here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2010, 04:33:13 pm »

And what might that be, oh great and all powerful Vector? You don't have to answer now, but please do at some point after Spartan answers.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2010, 04:34:22 pm »

And what might that be, oh great and all powerful Vector? You don't have to answer now, but please do at some point after Spartan answers.

I certainly will.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2010, 04:38:35 pm »

His question wasn't dumb, Webadict.  Mine might have been dumb in your eyes, but I know precisely what he was doing.  I know why he voted me first out of all the players here, and I know that he's probably town.  I know what answer he's trying to get, and I know which traps he set in his question to catch the unwary.

So bug off, Webby.  I may not be roasting Rysith on an open fire, but I know what I'm doing.
Oh, I'm sorry. Did you gain Clairvoyancy? My bad, I should've realized you knew what was happening. That means if I had three apples, I'd know what was happening too?

You do realize that your entire post here just proves that the entire thing is pointless, right? If you know exactly what to sidestep and how, then his questions ARE pointless, because they don't get a real reaction out of you.

The fact is... only the Mafia has to be wary of traps, now don't they? So, is that why you had to avoid being caught? Couldn't stand to be under investigation, so instead you purposefully worded your words carefully to evade the traps?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2010, 04:48:24 pm »

Oh, I'm sorry. Did you gain Clairvoyancy? My bad, I should've realized you knew what was happening. That means if I had three apples, I'd know what was happening too?

You do realize that your entire post here just proves that the entire thing is pointless, right? If you know exactly what to sidestep and how, then his questions ARE pointless, because they don't get a real reaction out of you.

The fact is... only the Mafia has to be wary of traps, now don't they? So, is that why you had to avoid being caught? Couldn't stand to be under investigation, so instead you purposefully worded your words carefully to evade the traps?

No, I didn't gain clairvoyancy.  I gained basic skills of observation, and the ability to extrapolate from an established pattern.  I know this question because Rysith has asked it of me before.  It's an elegantly-crafted Vector-specific trap, carefully hidden.  Don't call me paranoid, because it's true.

Everyone needs to be wary of traps.  How many times have townies accidentally fallen into traps and gotten completely reamed because of it?  Those deaths are pointless, and meaningless.  I constantly catch myself editing my posts, as town and as scum, to keep from saying something stupid.  Furthermore, if I search for traps in others' words as a townie, I have a better chance of

a. Building my own effective traps
b. Evading said traps next time I play scum.

No, I didn't word my response with any special sort of care.  I just answered naturally, checked for any accidental implications or unexplored possibilities, and sent the post off.

If you want to investigate me, then go for it.  I'm more than happy to go toe-to-toe with you again--in fact, I've missed it.  However, I'm not going to intentionally drop some sort of scummy trail just to lead you to me.  That would be pointless.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2010, 04:54:25 pm »

From a position of limited omniscience, Day 1 is a lot more informative on you guys' playstyles. Hehehe.

Gamblers: Who specifically would you like to see lynched today?

I'm hoping for a big return, so I picked the lowest odds. Figured I may as well start things off with a high-stakes bid... makes it more interesting, no? Besides, I can afford to, since I already know that I'm destined to win this competition.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2010, 04:58:36 pm »

No, I didn't gain clairvoyancy.  I gained basic skills of observation, and the ability to extrapolate from an established pattern.  I know this question because Rysith has asked it of me before.  It's an elegantly-crafted Vector-specific trap, carefully hidden.  Don't call me paranoid, because it's true.

Everyone needs to be wary of traps.  How many times have townies accidentally fallen into traps and gotten completely reamed because of it?  Those deaths are pointless, and meaningless.  I constantly catch myself editing my posts, as town and as scum, to keep from saying something stupid.  Furthermore, if I search for traps in others' words as a townie, I have a better chance of

a. Building my own effective traps
b. Evading said traps next time I play scum.

No, I didn't word my response with any special sort of care.  I just answered naturally, checked for any accidental implications or unexplored possibilities, and sent the post off.

If you want to investigate me, then go for it.  I'm more than happy to go toe-to-toe with you again--in fact, I've missed it.  However, I'm not going to intentionally drop some sort of scummy trail just to lead you to me.  That would be pointless.
So, you already knew how to sidestep that trap anyhow. Then, explain to me how this doesn't make sense:

That question was to determine if you were scum or town.
If you're scum, you already knew how to evade that trap.
If you're town, you wouldn't be caught in that trap.
If you knew how to evade that trap, it was pointless.

Combining this all together gets that the question is pointless.

I'm hoping for a big return, so I picked the lowest odds. Figured I may as well start things off with a high-stakes bid... makes it more interesting, no? Besides, I can afford to, since I already know that I'm destined to win this competition.
Solifuge picked town. Just so everyone knows.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2010, 05:04:44 pm »

So, you already knew how to sidestep that trap anyhow. Then, explain to me how this doesn't make sense:

That question was to determine if you were scum or town.
If you're scum, you already knew how to evade that trap.
If you're town, you wouldn't be caught in that trap.
If you knew how to evade that trap, it was pointless.

Combining this all together gets that the question is pointless.

I still see it as pointful, mostly because I can admit to myself that there may be more layers of the trap.  I'm expecting followup questions that will expand the trap based on micro-data, and I know that no matter what initial response I gave, there will be a continuation to pry at the cracks of my defenses.

My understanding of the first stage does not imply understanding of the later stages, which are flexible in nature and far, far more difficult to analyze to death.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2010, 05:05:59 pm »

Specifically? Probably a lurker. I'd like it to be interesting to watch.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »

I still see it as pointful, mostly because I can admit to myself that there may be more layers of the trap.  I'm expecting followup questions that will expand the trap based on micro-data, and I know that no matter what initial response I gave, there will be a continuation to pry at the cracks of my defenses.

My understanding of the first stage does not imply understanding of the later stages, which are flexible in nature and far, far more difficult to analyze to death.
Hmm...

Touche.

EXCEPT that all questions can be analyzed using both sides of an alignment, so much that there is no right or wrong answer to give: Only more or less scummy answers. All answers will inevitably be used to prove you scum no matter by which alignment they were given, and hence the entire questioning schematic could be seen as more pointless than informative.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2010, 05:15:28 pm »

And this is why Wuba is very stubborn penguin.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33