Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33

Author Topic: BYOT mafia: Night 2 - 13/19 alive - Delicious  (Read 53384 times)

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOT mafia: 19 players and 3 gamblers
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2010, 01:04:36 am »

Let's see.  He has no clue how to play mafia.  He knows absolutely nothing about the rules.  And you--young sir Nolor--think that you can focus on this guy and get scumtells out of him.
Yes, or at least encourage him figure out the rules and do something beyond voting randomly and acting as a liability.

Yeah, that's real useful.
Isn't finding scum the point of Mafia? I fail to see how attacking and educating a player is antithetical to this. I'd say it's useful.

Allow me to make this more clear: YOU ARE WASTING TIME AND PICKING ON EASY TARGETS. 
So we ignore the easy targets. Of course! That's some brilliant strategy right there.

YOU ARE DOING THE OPPOSITE OF SCUM-HUNTING.  STOP NOW.
We're using the same terminology, right? Scum-hunting is defined as searching for scum, uprooting them, shattering their facades and revealing the truth. It doesn't matter if my target is a Mafia mastermind or a complete newbie lacking all but the barest understanding of the rules. So long as I'm actively pursuing their alignment and inciting responses, I'm scum-hunting.

I'm town.  Therefore he isn't my scumbuddy.  BRRRRZT!  Sorry, you fail.
Oh, I'm sorry. You said you're town? Then it must be true. No one ever lies in mafia. This statement is completely meaningless.

What did you think I was going to say?  "Oh noes, my panties are in a twist because you hinted he might be my scumbuddy!  I must stop attacking Nolor posthaste, for otherwise my dastardly schemes shall be revealed to all, and I will never make it to the ball!"
Would've been a great reaction, but no. You reacted as expected, as both town and mafia would. What did I hope to gain? I don't know, I want to look back after the end of this game and say, "Hey look, I pinned a Vector/Dwarfguy2 scumteam as early as page <x>!"

Nope.  You sound overly defensive.  You sound scared.  You sound like someone trying to throw a little poke at the person who caught onto their plans.  An OMGUS of sorts, if you will.
My plans? What are these plans? Attacking a newbish player to avoid suspicion? I don't get it, are you suggesting we avoid newbish players altogether? I fail to see how bringing more information into the light could possibly harm town, and you've been trying to stifle my attempts by actively questioning me, so of course I'd question that. You're trying to make me back off for some reason, that's why you're pushing me, so I pushed you back.

So, you're trying to get the guy no one will listen to to talk, and now you're trying to call us out for attacking you?  I'm sorry, but no.  Webby's been up in everyone's gaskets, and I've been attacking a few people myself.  Neither of us has gone "hey, a little guy!  Let me jump on him.  Let me jump on him some more.  Oh, some big guys are wondering why I'm jumping on this kid.  Let me snarl at them!  That's a really good idea."
You're taking on targets appropriate to your level of experience. It's folly to expect me (who's played a stunning one game here) to chase after the spotlight. So what do I do? I don't actively impede Town, for one. I focus on those likely to go unnoticed by the bigger players and I draw them out of hiding. Or would you rather I mindlessly bandwagon with you? That I find a player I trust and follow their vote, a sheep tailing a shepherd to its own inevitable demise?

Oh, I'm sorry. Did you want me to focus on only those 16 others? I mean, what with me focusing on only those people, I'd have no time to focus on you, right?
No, I was just surprised that I was being simultaneously assaulted by both you and Vector, clearly the 'biggest' players in this game. Seems like a waste of Town's resources, really.

Besides... What exactly are you looking for? How would he act scummy or show his scum partners?
Maybe it's not him that'll act suspicious. Maybe his scumbuddies will jump to his rescue. Beyond that, this is a stupid question. I'm looking for scumtells. Be it active-lurking, bandwagoning, or just plain old avoiding my goddamned questions, I'm going to at least try to get something on him.

Why is us asking questions about what you're doing scummy? Why did you jump up there on my scumlist?
You're attacking me for scumhunting. Really? Do I need to explain this any further?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2010, 01:08:02 am »

Votecount, please?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2010, 01:17:52 am »

Oh, I'm sorry. Did you want me to focus on only those 16 others? I mean, what with me focusing on only those people, I'd have no time to focus on you, right?
No, I was just surprised that I was being simultaneously assaulted by both you and Vector, clearly the 'biggest' players in this game. Seems like a waste of Town's resources, really.
Good news, Vector! Nolor confirms we're Town, so we're square.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2010, 01:19:36 am »

I'm hoping he'll jump back in here and, I don't know, actually participate in the game. Maybe he'll actually try to get a read off of someone and ask questions? Maybe he'll just defend himself. I'm trying to elicit a reaction, however minute. He's obviously a new player. If he's scum and when he slips up, he'll probably reveal his teammates. To accomplish this end I'm going to get him to talk as much as possible. Even if he's town, activity never hurts and it's not like he's going to mislead anyone with faulty reads (no one's going to listen to him). Are there better targets? They may be. There may not be.

Why are you two concerned over who I'm attacking? There are 16 others you need to focus on and your fixation on my fixation with dwarfguy2 is perplexing and I daresay scummy.

Webadict is not fixated on you. Don't flatter yourself. So why are you being so defensive, huh?

And in any case, in what way is somebody fixating on you scummy?

I didn't realize that Archangel did imply having a post restriction. That was a mistake that I've already been corrected on.

Anyways, Archangel just confuses the fuck out of me. Archangel, why did you post in green originally and why did you roll with having to post in colors or else?
Now you're against Archangel?

So... you're not reading the thread and you just happened to defend him... You know... after not reading the GREEN TEXT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO MISS? Man, you either suck as scum, or you're a Jester. Either way, your lynch will be tomorrow. Congrats if you're a Jester. You win. Otherwise, you suck.

Yes. Now that I realize that Archangel did in fact lie about having a post restriction, I'm just as pissed off as the next guy. Of course, I have to actually ask Archangel about the lying since nobody else did. Look, I'll talk more about this once Archangel explains the lying. Here's a hint, though; I can't think of any explaination where Archangel doesn't come out looking scummy.

No, I'm reading the thread, just not quite as thoroughly as I would like. That's how I can miss details. Wait, what exactly makes you think I'm scum? I don't think you ever said. Or maybe you did, at this point I honestly don't know.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2010, 01:26:05 am »

Good news, Vector! Nolor confirms we're Town, so we're square.
Congratulations, you've read deeply enough to discover the subtext hidden in my message. Right?
Not quite. At this point, I'm assuming you're town (why? Because there's no compelling evidence that points to you being scum; beyond that,  if either of you are going to be lynched, it's going to be late-game when we have days of archives and more information available to us) and acting accordingly.

And in any case, in what way is somebody fixating on you scummy?
The reasons are what matters here. He attacked me for trying to incite a reaction in 'easy prey'. Clearly he thinks dwarfguy2 can't defend himself. Attacking someone for scumhunting is scummy, no matter how you look at it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2010, 01:31:51 am »

The reasons are what matters here. He attacked me for trying to incite a reaction in 'easy prey'. Clearly he thinks dwarfguy2 can't defend himself. Attacking someone for scumhunting is scummy, no matter how you look at it.

... Scumhunting, sweetheart.  Scumhunting.

You find someone who has done something scummy.

You eat them.

If you are only attacking easily edible individuals because they're nice for your soft and easily upsettable stomach--you're still DOING IT WRONG.  There's plenty of other beginners in this game.  There's plenty of other lurkers, other people to pick on... but you focus on the one person who has posted precisely once.  You ignore everyone else, and when called on it, you go:

"GAH!  You--you caught me!  But I'm a noob, and you're big and dragon-like!  Just... just go leave me alone!"

No.

It doesn't work that way.

More on your other stuff later.  I'm getting too tired to be very effective, but at least I could post this on autopilot.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2010, 01:32:22 am »

In Democracy it is your dongs that dongs
Archangel - 1 - Webadict
Vector - 0 -
Mr.Person - 1 - IronyOwl
Toaster - 0 -
Org - X
Lonewolf I - 0 -
Eduren - 0 -
ToonyMan - 1 - Toaster
maxicaxi - 1 - Ottofar (I think)
Zai - 1 - SirBayer
webadict - 2 - ToonyMan, Lonewolf I
Rysith - 0 -
Ottofar - 2 - Zai, Rysith
dwarfguy2 - 2 - Nolor, Archangel
Jokerman-EXE - 0 -
IronyOwl - 0 -
SniHjen - X
Nolor - 2 - Mr.Person, Vector
SirBayer - 1 - Eduren
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:34:12 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 05, 2010, 01:34:15 am »

I think just removing dead players from the vote count would be easier to read.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2010, 01:36:34 am »

Having them there helps me, though. :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2010, 01:55:24 am »

Having them there helps me, though. :I

Bah.

Couldn't you just put me and Org at the bottom of the list?

I'll never forgive you Org!
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2010, 07:50:29 am »

Unvote webadict

Archangel - Never lie when you're town, unless you're prepared to be killed when caught.

And what might that be, oh great and all powerful Vector? You don't have to answer now, but please do at some point after Spartan answers.
Are you even playing?  Do you even care about your attacks? Mr.Person, why are you such lazy scum?

I phrased it that way since asking Vector to reveal the meaning behind that particular question would make it pointless to ask. So I wanted to wait until after it was answered before the explanation came along. That's pretty much it.

Course I'm playing, I just don't have any targets at the moment since I'm still trawling the thread for things I have to reply to. Since I'm done with that AFAIK, I'm now going to go look for things to reply to.
Your answer to my initial question is acceptable.  As long as you don't start lurking, your answer to my second question is irrelevant.

ToonyMan - You random-voted wuba and haven't done anything with your vote since.  All but the following three posts of yours have been one or two lines with little substance.  Two of those three are summaries.  You're activelurking.  Why?

Spoiler: Toony's Big Posts (click to show/hide)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2010, 07:53:29 am »

I'm always active-lurking people say, town or scum.  I don't mean too.

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2010, 08:02:17 am »

Who do you find suspicious at the moment, and why aren't you voting them?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2010, 08:04:36 am »

Webadict, Eduren, Vector, Archangel, and Toaster.

I'm voting Webadict though.

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 05, 2010, 08:10:58 am »

So we have here.

Toaster is an overreacting scum bag who wants double explanations.
Archangel is an annoying person who makes up a post restriction and then goes on admitting it.
Webadict, Zai, and Mr.Person are making this situation way more melodramatic than it needs to be.

Eduren is still the same so far seeing as I don't remember him doing anything noteworthy.

And everything is orbiting around Archangel right now, sigh.  Archangel this is why you don't do things like this.  Up tight bitches get butt hurt.
Why Webadict and not Zai or Mr.Person?  How is Vector suspicious right now?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33