Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bleeding to death  (Read 3171 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bleeding to death
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:07:45 am »

Right, so I've got children, cats and dogs bleeding to death, with no obvious reason. It's been six years since any action of any sort, and the only thing I've seen to maybe cause this has been a tantruming axedwarf, but he started tantruming because his kid bled to death... for no reason. More annoying, the logs they show nothing!(sorry, EVE joke) There's no combat log to suggest damage... WTF is going on?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bleeding to death
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:27:38 am »

... must ... resist ... urge ... to make ... smartass ... remark ...

... Hemophiliac dwarves?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:31:04 am »

... must ... resist ... urge ... to make ... smartass ... remark ...

... Hemophiliac dwarves?

Just children and pets actually. Not a one dwarf died. Just children and pets...

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:34:01 am »

Perhaps some FB goo?
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:38:54 am »

You really shouldn't line the walls of your nursery and kennels with leftover FB dust. It's been known to cause spontaneous bleeding in dwarvish children laboratory animals.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:55:36 am »

Perhaps some FB goo?

I broke HFS on my last fort, so being boring this fort, haven't breached the caverns yet. Although I HAVE had one titan show his face, about two years before people started bleeding to death. I kind of forgot about him since he decided to jump into the brook as it froze. No mention of any goo.

A towering one-eyed hadrosaurid. It has four long straight horns and it has a regal bearing. Its green scales are large and close-set. Beware it's webs!

I can't find it's corpse anymore, so I guess it got butchered. Potential cause I guess, but health screen mentions nothing.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:57:48 am »

Do you have surface lava, or are you in a particularly hot area?  It could be that the temperature issues aren't as ironed out as we all hoped; does anyone have a water covering?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:00:59 am »

Do you have surface lava, or are you in a particularly hot area?  It could be that the temperature issues aren't as ironed out as we all hoped; does anyone have a water covering?

This is a possibility I haven't thought of. Yes, I have a volcano, and even more so, I just ran a new line of magma for my forges. It just happens to run through my main walk way, although separated by walls. My walkways go under and over the magma, would this cause injury, I didn't think it would?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 01:07:12 am »

I thought it was fixed, but I think a relative of the 'acid rain' bug involved dwarves covered in water coming within proximity of magma, the water superheating and melting all the fat out of the dwarf.  If things are still randomly bleeding to death, you could try turning temperature off and seeing if it stops.  Better still, if you have any backups before somebody bleeds to death you could turn temp off, load the old save, and see if history repeats itself.

EDIT: Checking the tracker, it looks like the temp bugs were supposed to be fixed in 31.05 but there were people still reporting similar things in 31.08.  I'd definitely try turning temp off.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:13:01 am by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:18:00 am »

I thought it was fixed, but I think a relative of the 'acid rain' bug involved dwarves covered in water coming within proximity of magma, the water superheating and melting all the fat out of the dwarf.  If things are still randomly bleeding to death, you could try turning temperature off and seeing if it stops.  Better still, if you have any backups before somebody bleeds to death you could turn temp off, load the old save, and see if history repeats itself.

Makes sense except it was only female cats, male dogs, and dwarven children. Over 10 deaths each, I can't see that being a coincidence. The deaths have stopped now, but I'll try an earlier save with temperature off. After sleep and work. I'm betting on it being a bug, since this whole fort has been a bit screwy. I have 10 diplomats all just hanging around, they've been there for years. One's a demon too, who hasn't destroyed anything. I have dwarves who've died without a death message, and without any reason. Despite embarking right next to goblins, I have yet to see any. I'm now on year two without a caravan stopping by, despite the fact they've showed for the past 8 years straight. The entire fort has just been really weird.

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 01:30:07 am »

It's forgotten Beast ichor syndrome that your dwarf have. It only affect small animals and children that step on it and sometime a few adults. They start getting dizzy and having excessive bleeding as their feet are rotting away. As the disease progresses the leg then arm start rotting as well till it reaches their neck and they suffocate to death. I've had this before in my fortress as it kill at least 20 of my children and cats and dogs.

The best way to prevent further deaths is to clean up the ichor since dwarves that step over the ichor will spread it more over the floors. I think you need to get dfhack and use the cleanmap program to get rid of all the ichor lying around on the floor. Otherwise look forward to more deaths cause there's really no better way to deal with Beast ichor.

You might also want to forbid any Forgotten Beast corpse in case they have ichor on them and the drawves will spread more ichor around if they come inot contact with it.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 03:04:44 am »

Makes sense except it was only female cats, male dogs, and dwarven children. .....

Well, if it were only female cats, female dogs and female dwarven children,
we could assume some kind of menstruation problem ;)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 03:11:52 am »

If I had to guess, the walls(with the magma on the other side) are hot enough to injure and kill unclothed creatures, in this case kids and pets. If some of the kids killed were clothed, then the mystery goes on!

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 09:12:14 am »

It's forgotten Beast ichor syndrome that your dwarf have. It only affect small animals and children that step on it and sometime a few adults. They start getting dizzy and having excessive bleeding as their feet are rotting away. As the disease progresses the leg then arm start rotting as well till it reaches their neck and they suffocate to death. I've had this before in my fortress as it kill at least 20 of my children and cats and dogs.

The best way to prevent further deaths is to clean up the ichor since dwarves that step over the ichor will spread it more over the floors. I think you need to get dfhack and use the cleanmap program to get rid of all the ichor lying around on the floor. Otherwise look forward to more deaths cause there's really no better way to deal with Beast ichor.

You might also want to forbid any Forgotten Beast corpse in case they have ichor on them and the drawves will spread more ichor around if they come inot contact with it.

Read up. Didn't breach the caverns, and the description of my only visiting titan is listed, no ichor. He also died without bloodshed, so cleanmap wasn't needed(although I use it often anyway).

So far, going back a save and trying a few different things, it seems to be related to the fact that I got impatient with how slow my magma was moving so I used DFLiquids to add some magma to where magma would eventually come to rest. If I don't do that, then my children don't die, but I'll be waiting on magma for the next few years. :-/ Guess I'll just deal with the extra need for graves.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 09:52:21 am »

If you can (maybe with an earlier save), check the status of one of the dying / about to die units (v-z for pets, v-z-Enter for dwarves).  What does it say?  That could help narrow down the cause of death - if they've got rotten body parts according to that screen (which often don't show up on the Wounds screen), then it's probably a contaminant they've got on them.  If they've got melting layers/parts, then it's probably a heat issue of one kind or another (as has been discussed above).

And it still could be that titan.  While I haven't dealt with many titans in 31.x, they seem to largely use the same systems as the Forgotten Beasts, in which case the titan's blood, ichor, extract, or other goo could easily be the cause of issues.  Utterly bloodless, goo-less FBs and titans can happen, but are very rare in my experience - usually they just have goo that you don't notice the effects of, or they're harmless in the first place.  You mentioned it died by freezing in water, so there could've been ichor left along the titan's path through the water to get to that point, for example.
Pages: [1] 2