Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: catapults doing nothing  (Read 1084 times)

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
catapults doing nothing
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:42:48 pm »

i now have three catapults pointed down a hallway in which i have trapped several goblins. the catapults have done no damage whatsoever to them and they have fired many shots now. do catapults suck this badly? or am i doing something wrong?
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: catapults doing nothing
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:15:53 am »

Yes they suck.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:58 am »

Catapults are a joke weapon put in to screw with new people.  I remember my first ever fort, I actually put them in elevated positions and expected them to rain death down on the loitering goblins.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:52:49 am »

How about Ballistas?  Are they worth it given how expensive their ammunition is?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:56:27 am »

Catapults are a relic of the old 2D era. They didn't get adapted into 3D properly. So yes, they suck and they REALLY suck if you don't have elite quality siege components and legendary siege operators.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:15 am »

So I won't be able to put my High Master Siege Operator to the fulfill the purpose he was set upon the earth to do?  (It's his only useful skill).
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:39:08 am »

Ballista are awesome if you can get the gobbos to line up in front of them. Just build a corridor and put your ballista behind fortifications at one end.

P.S. And ballista arrows only require one log, they aren't expensive... You do know that arrowheads are useless, do you?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 05:19:19 am »

I do now.  I also think I might have the perfect location for a ballista...my entrance is a long 3 tile wide path.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 05:28:07 am »

P.S. And ballista arrows only require one log, they aren't expensive... You do know that arrowheads are useless, do you?
Obsolete 40d knowledge. With the material system of DF2010, arrowheads change the material of the ballista shot. Do you really want to play with Elf weapon materials or do you want to do some damage?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:45:37 am »

So I won't be able to put my High Master Siege Operator to the fulfill the purpose he was set upon the earth to do?  (It's his only useful skill).

I think if you take another look you'll find that he's also a fully qualified and paid up member of the Master Hauliers guild...  ;D

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:16:16 am »

Catapults are an awesome way of moving stone, which just requires a pit in front of a wall to avoid the stone being destroyed... and probably a lot of fiddling with permissions to move the actually useful ones.

As a weapon, they are useless. Even ballistae are questionable - if you can set up a location where they do well, you could probably use traps to better effect.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 06:40:11 am »

I was always curious about jobs that need such massive stone moving...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 07:43:30 am »

I don't need a reason, I need an excuse! And while we're at it, give me catapult-driven public transportation.

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 02:15:25 pm »

Catapults are great for one thing and one thing only: training siege operators.

Build a 3x6 tunnel that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
CCC._|
CCC._|
CCC._|

Where C is the catapult, _ is a channeled-out line (do NOT remove the ramps below it, you want your dwarf to be able to go down and back up) and | is a wall, whether constructed or natural.

Set the catapult facing the wall, then set it on "fire at will". Your trainee siege operator will start firing rocks at the wall, which will then drop into the channeled moat. Since siege ammo falling down a Z-level or more is not destroyed, the rock will sit on the ground ready to be retrieved. Since it is now the closest rock to the catapult, the operator will go fetch it rather than go traipsing across the fortress looking for another rock. (Actually, due to some uninteresting details, he'll go fetch another rock ONCE, then cycle between two rocks in his training). Result: a siege operator who's spending ALL his time training his skill, and who'll hit Legendary in just a couple seasons. Then you can assign him to the fortress-defense ballistas.

For extra training time, use the square in front of the catapult for two 1x1 stockpiles (of food and booze, respectively) and build a bed on the third square. Then build a burrow around your catapult training hall and restrict your trainee to the burrow. Now he won't even have to go away for booze/food breaks!
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 02:25:50 pm »

actually, i was using about seven catapults to train them downstairs. but i figured that they would at least a little damage. it seems that the catapult has a "landing" zone of one block. anything on that block when the stone ends it's route get hurt. anything outside of it is fine, it goes right through them. it's not just line of sight, it seems that they have to be exactly the right distance away.

i'll be setting up ballista now.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway
Pages: [1] 2