Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: About to breach  (Read 1868 times)

thedude72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About to breach
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:30 pm »

Name says it all. I'm going to breach HFS in a little bit. I've got 3 squads of highly skilled warriors (Legendary in weapon skill for all of them in at least one squad.) 1 squad is in full blue stuff, the other 2 are in steel. Plus 6 rather useless crossbowmen.

I ask you all, what are my chances?

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
Re: About to breach
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:22:53 pm »

Negative four
Seriously, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE FUN
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:24:31 pm by Toast024 »
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:24:17 pm »

Negative four
and a half... point 3...
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »

Draft 10 more squads full of blue armor, and two extra squads of marksmen. Make them all legendary armor users, axedwarfs, shield users, dodgers, and fighters.

Then you'll increase your chances by about 10%.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:34:32 pm »

Which is then 6.57 percent.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 03:36:46 pm »

You guys aren't taking into account the aftershock. A lot of those clowns have Fun syndromes for you to play with.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »

Actually, that depends. How are you breaching?

If/when I finally choose to enter the HFS, I'm going to have 1 miner drill a 1-tile channel straight down into the center of the bluemetal tube. And above that shaft through which HFS shall come, I will have...

A bunch of alternating dirt and supports to cavein those clowns.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

thedude72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:12:26 pm »

Actually, that depends. How are you breaching?

If/when I finally choose to enter the HFS, I'm going to have 1 miner drill a 1-tile channel straight down into the center of the bluemetal tube. And above that shaft through which HFS shall come, I will have...

A bunch of alternating dirt and supports to cavein those clowns.

I had a 1 tile shaft straight down which led into my "kill room"

There were 3 shafts so the demons were't quick to come up. I took em out 1 and 2 at a time. I only lost 2 of my rookies, and a third is poisoned. Granted, I'm only halfway through the population, and there is a small clump coming up the shaft so much Fun is still to be had

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:14:30 pm »

If you are getting small groups, then you didn't breach the right tube. There is another tube somewhere on your map. Find it.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:15:54 pm »

I read somewhere that there's over 300 in the first wave.

FIND THAT OTHER TUBE. FOR !!SCIENCE!!
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 05:15:58 pm »

Indeed. You get a few hundred at first. Repel them, and you get a reasonably steady stream of 1 at a time for a bit, then after a while, you get to the point where they come few and far between.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:18:52 pm »

On the same note, i was thinking of getting my 150 dwarves together, arming them with a adamantine battle axe each, (legendary weapon smith)  and breaching place down below, and killing them all, how likely am i to die horribly?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 05:26:10 pm »

You have enough cotton candy lying around to make 150 battle axes EACH? If you are going to use that much cotton candy, you need to give them a year or two to let them train. Maybe shove them into a room with 10 training spears on upright spikes per square, and hook them up to a repeater for a few months for epic defense skills.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

thedude72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 05:53:04 pm »

I read somewhere that there's over 300 in the first wave.

FIND THAT OTHER TUBE. FOR !!SCIENCE!!

I dug to the other 2 tubes and no more came out

There was only about 50 in the first wave,but they're coming into the map by groups of 5 or 6. This should go down in history as the least Fun HFS breach in history

Total losses: 10
2 were useless civilians.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 06:02:02 pm »

You have enough cotton candy lying around to make 150 battle axes EACH? If you are going to use that much cotton candy, you need to give them a year or two to let them train. Maybe shove them into a room with 10 training spears on upright spikes per square, and hook them up to a repeater for a few months for epic defense skills.

Df Prospector indicates there are 1400 units of cotton candy available, my own seers *Cough*dfreveal*cough* have led me to believe that i can sensibly mine out at least 150 units in total, I suspect in reality they could probably all have a shield as well, it's just gonna take a a while to process it all, at 9 FPS, maybe i should move everyone into the wide open spaces, of the quarry.
Pages: [1] 2