Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Invincible Bronze Colossus  (Read 4058 times)

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Invincible Bronze Colossus
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 08:58:39 am »

Daggers have a rather impressing effectiveness against them. They will only hit once every 20 or so stabs, but you will quickly land a killing blow. Already killed 3 Colossi by just randomly slashing them with a bronze dagger. And for not being hit yourself: Lie down on the ground and just have a shield in your hand. This makes you nearly invincible.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 09:45:30 am »

Daggers have a rather impressing effectiveness against them. They will only hit once every 20 or so stabs, but you will quickly land a killing blow. Already killed 3 Colossi by just randomly slashing them with a bronze dagger. And for not being hit yourself: Lie down on the ground and just have a shield in your hand. This makes you nearly invincible.

One would think they could just step on you...
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: The Not So Invincible Bronze Colossus
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »

Meh, i just throw Steel spears at it, run around, pick spear up, and reapeat.
Also...

lure it onto ice.
keep it on ice 'till morning melts ice. (the hard part)
get out of water.
get away from water's edge.
wait for nightfall.

LET'S KICK SOME ICE
D:

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 02:05:43 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:23:50 pm by Bronimin »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:56 pm »

I usually use iron bolts, throw them at it and run away, works on pretty much anything too :P.

'The flying iron bolt strikes the Bronze Collosus in the head! chipping the head and chipping the soulgem!!

Soulgem? Aha! You are playing a mod!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 07:12:02 pm »

Yeah, in Genesis I gave them soulgems because I want epic dwarves to survive with traumas and lost friends, not all die a honorable death :D.

The funny fact is that when you are on the ground, the colossus has 2x attack vs. you and you have just 1/2.

You'd better stand up. Some people think that the fact that you always block with a high skill when on the ground means that it makes blocking easier... No, it means that you can't dodge and you HAVE to :). It's a perfect way to level shield using though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 07:27:30 pm »

The funnier fact is that dodging is so close to useless that standing up can be slightly more effective than just staying low only in the rare instance that you don't get bodyslammed right the hell back down. Even with Legendary5 Dodging, Colossus is gonna knock you down, and when he does, the stun reduces your speed even more.

With enough speed and stamina you can sustain shield use without concern about fatigue, or ever getting hit, so you can pretty much hit with your leisurely half-rate. If you do dodge at all, at least keep your back to an obstacle, so he'll slam into it and get a taste of his own stun. Or better yet, train Ambush to Legendary and rip him up at full speed without taking a hit.

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 11:57:31 pm »

Gravity is more effective: A one Z drop will kill or damage a colossus.  Once got lucky with a crossbow: he dodged it, and went off a cliff.  He was a torso and a head when I found him.
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 12:53:55 am »

Gravity is more effective: A one Z drop will kill or damage a colossus.  Once got lucky with a crossbow: he dodged it, and went off a cliff.  He was a torso and a head when I found him.

I learned this from DF's TVTropes page. It's listed under "Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 01:42:42 am »

I've sent one off a cliff with my toreador stunt, and it did wear him down quite a bit but not that much. Disabling him that quickly is sort of a waste of a good training dummy, though; there's no better enemy to max your skills quickly. He'll last longer slamming against trees and walls.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 01:51:19 am »

Killing him with his own weight might work in Fortress Mode, where you can dig shit for him to fall into, but you can't do that here so you have to be lucky enough for him to stand near a cliff.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 02:59:06 am »

Heh, that was luck -- I expected him to throw me off the cliff like he'd done so many times before. I was surprised when my dodge worked and he went over.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 01:45:09 pm »

Apparently some weapons need higher strength than every adventurer can get in order to drive the damage through. Weapons that will always work even with lower maximum strength are battle-axes, shortswords and scimitars. Daggers and whips appear to work, and will probably disable colossus somewhat, but have a very low chance of getting a kill.

The lower your strength, the higher quality you'll need. If you can't get basic steel (or better, by starting a fortress to manufacture it,) then basic iron and the slightly better masterworked bronze will both work.

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 03:51:09 am »

Whips aren't a good idea, really: You gotta be pretty dang legendary, with a dang fine whip, to even injure a Bronze colossus with one.  Go with something that can sever if you want to win in combat.
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 03:58:59 am »

You don't have to be legendary, you just can't expect something as light as adamantine to work  ;)

Bronze works fine, iron works best (ideally silver, but those don't occur in adventurer mode) both of them will break his limbs down to red so he'll be functionally helpless. But even legendary stats won't get a kill with it; I managed to decapitate one with an adventurer with mediocre strength, by such pure luck I doubt I'll ever see it happen again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3