Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Invincible Bronze Colossus  (Read 4063 times)

BurningLed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Invincible Bronze Colossus
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:40:29 am »

I have no idea how one is supposed to defeat these in adventure mode.

First attempt -- No allies, Legendary axedwarf/shield/dodge/thrower.  Hacked away at it almost until I died of thirst/sleeplessness, then was thrown at a tree and exploded into gore.

Second attempt -- Master hammerdwarf, legendary thrower, with 2 macedwarfs and a hammerdwarf ally.  Allies died quickly, and I pummeled it with the hammer until he broke my shield arm, at which point I got my dorfen self turned into a pile of gore.

Third attempt -- Legendary thrower/dodger, equipped with 50 or 60 granite stones from an abandoned fortress. Got punched in the chest after 10 of them were thrown, and exploded into gore.

I haven't tried since then, but it seems like It'd be easier taking on 5 dragons at once -- Those are easy to decapitate, at least.
IIRC, 'overkill' is not a concept that exists in the dwarven psyche.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
The Not So Invincible Bronze Colossus
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »

lure it onto ice.
keep it on ice 'till morning melts ice. (the hard part)
get out of water.
get away from water's edge.
wait for nightfall.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Invincible Bronze Colossus
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:16:35 pm »

Colossi can be decapitated in one hit, if you're lucky. If you're not that lucky yet not so unlucky as to be turned to gore, it'll still take some time, and I'd recommend at least Professional Shield Use before you face it. If you want to kill it quickly, then any bladed weapon better than bronze quality will do it. Shield Use should ramp up to Legendary+5 very quickly, and then he makes an easy training dummy you could exploit for skill training.

Blunt weapons will break him down slowly enough that you can switch between hammer and mace and max those out, and even switch to straight shield basing for misc object use. Piercing weapons of any quality and skill level will always be deflected, but if you're playing a dwarf you won't be able to use shield while training pike. Lashing weapons will very quickly disable his limbs to the point where you're no longer able to get skill exp from fighting him, but also removes any threat if you're trying to finish him off. You can train Striking if you sneak up on him, but be prepared to deploy shield quickly if he detects you; with Legendary+ Ambush you can still get a significant number of ranks before that happens.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:31:31 pm »

I had a swordsdwarf attack one once, he killed two of my four allies I brought with me and broke a thirds back so I retreated. I dived deep underground, got to legendary swordsdwarf, lost use of my entire right arm and earned all manner of never-healing wounds, killed my remaining allies, started drinking blood to sustain myself, reached a dark, dark place and found a masterwork adamantine shortsword, remembered I had unfinished business above ground and postponed my descent into the halls of death and met the colossus again. Now my attacks were doing damage, chipping him etc and eventually I took off his lower body while he was almost dead. I took the bronze colossus statue went to the mountainhome and beat the queen who gave me the quest to death with the lower back tooth of my dearest friend who had died fighting colossus (he had lost the tooth earlier while we were slaughtering elves, I had kept it with me as a souvenir) and left the masterwork bronze statue of a forgotten beast on her corpse.
Now I stand infront of a cave entrance, although the hydra that was defending it left its share of scars on my already broken body.

Eh, the moral of the story was you can kill bronze collosi, you just need to be hardcore enough.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:51:19 pm »

Meh, colossi are pussies. Now going down to hell for adamantine weapons, that's hardcore, and if you can do that, then that bronze statue should be of you.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:18:51 pm »

Try my killer move: Hit him 10-20 times, then choke him until he passes out, then pinch his head. Easy.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:12:16 am »

Um, I think you're explaining it from the perspective of the colossus...
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 03:04:24 am »

2 words

Fluffy Wambler.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:07:30 am »

Trick the colossus into pushing you into a murky pool. Climb out and wait for the pool to freeze over. Too bad the kill doesn't count in your kill list. :(
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:06:53 pm »

i also went to hell got adey sword with no injury but bronzy never died but he was just a head and torso but i killed the world thats something     

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 04:11:12 am »

i also went to hell got adey sword with no injury but bronzy never died but he was just a head and torso but i killed the world thats something   
You need atleast one crippling injury before a colossus will allow you to kill it.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 07:31:02 am »

Dodge is pretty worthless against this guy, even with Legendary Dodging, you'll only get out of the way 1 out of 20 times. It's still funny to make him bash obstacles, and you can make him bash himself into immobility, but you still need a weapon that can finish the job.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 05:21:18 pm »

2 words

Fluffy Wambler.

Fluffy Wambler should not work anymore. Before the game considered Fluffy Wambler's thinner then paper, with a very large amount of mass. That is why it was able to cut the colossus's head off. Toady said he fixed this issue, so i doubt Fluffy Wambler's can do it anymore
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: The Not So Invincible Bronze Colossus
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:21:35 pm »

lure it onto ice.
keep it on ice 'till morning melts ice. (the hard part)
get out of water.
get away from water's edge.
wait for nightfall.

LET'S KICK SOME ICE

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:40:13 am »

2 words

Fluffy Wambler.

Fluffy Wambler should not work anymore. Before the game considered Fluffy Wambler's thinner then paper, with a very large amount of mass. That is why it was able to cut the colossus's head off. Toady said he fixed this issue, so i doubt Fluffy Wambler's can do it anymore
dang they nerf the wambler that fast this means they are truly the king of the beasts!
shoot so is this the .12 edition or the 10 they finally fix that?
I want to know before I spend some hours tweaking a close range weapon that grants one that ability.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2 3