Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are some cool embarks that you found?  (Read 4506 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
What are some cool embarks that you found?
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:41:43 am »

A desert that SNOWS was my personal favorite.

Disclaimer: I have searched interesting embarks and your embarks and I haven't found a thread similar.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are some cool embarks that you found?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:46:59 am »

I dunno, if people are supposed to post their worlds and embarks, I think the worldgen cookbook thread would be relevent.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a clone as such though.

On topic: I always like seeing volcanoes in glaciers.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:56:12 am »

I played only 4 fortresses yet (one being save for tutorial), but so far a 4x4 embark with ~150 GCS silk and 400+ cave spider silk on first cavern floor is my favourite. I don't know if it is normal, it's ~10 GCS silk per embark tile only for first cavern.
Pity I lost region files due to computer crash.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:33:26 am »

I have once seen a volcano under a frozen ocean. However, I died pretty quickly and failed to see the effect of defreeze :(

Edit: And also I once seen an epic intersection of three rivers that left something akin to a peninsula in the middle that was connected to mainland just by 10-tile wide strip of land.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:43:03 am by Dariush »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:40:31 am »

A desert that SNOWS was my personal favorite.

Disclaimer: I have searched interesting embarks and your embarks and I haven't found a thread similar.

Snow in the same sector?  Fantastic!

The coolest place I found was in 40d and had an interesting network of rivers and waterfalls.  And carp.  I had a lot of fun with that map.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:47:32 am »

The snowing desert is pretty cool, yeah :)  I'm partial to great big river canyons with waterfalls, I found a couple and posted them in the cookbook thread.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:04:23 am »

The only problem with the snowing desert is that it snows very rarely but still impressive nonetheless.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:44:04 am »

Cold deserts are pretty nifty (as are cold desserts *rimshot*).  One of the more interesting sites I saw was back in 40d: a massive (100+ Z-level) mesa in the middle of an otherwise perfectly flat grassland.  Pity I can't remember where that one went...
Sanity is for the weak.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 12:06:12 pm »

in 40d I had 3 peaks that upon embark each collapsed into
1 a bottomless pit
2 a chasm (round variety)
3 a volcano.
killed fps while they all fell, but it was hilarious, and a great way to get free sky in the middle of what was otherwise flat prairie.

This version, the best I've found is my current - 3x3; two rivers, one many z levels above the other, but not pouring into it; 3 different biomes - desert, HEAVY WOOD forest, and rocky wasteland; down below, there are TWO magma lakes (upper left/lower right), and the low river in the desert is a huge red canyon. Sand, flux, obsidian, bituminous coal, iron... this site has everything.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:33:15 pm »

My best embark EVER was a place that had a mountain, volcano, forest, sinister desert, desert and river all in the SAME embark.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:47:51 pm by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 09:32:39 pm »

Dictionary.com defines a desert as-

des·ert
1    /ˈdɛzərt/ Show Spelled[dez-ert]
–noun
a region so arid because of little rainfall that it supports only sparse and widely spaced vegetation or no vegetation at all: The Sahara is a vast sandy desert.
any area in which few forms of life can exist because of lack of water, permanent frost, or absence of soil.
an area of the ocean in which it is believed no marine life exists.
(formerly) any unsettled area between the Mississippi and the Rocky Mountains thought to be unsuitable for human habitation.
any place lacking in something: The town was a cultural desert.

So it is, in fact, possible to have a desert which is could and snows. See definition 2- because of lack of water, permanent frost...

Antarctica, for example, has deserts in it which snow.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:03 pm »

Aye, technically Antarctica is a desert as well.

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »

The best embark I can thing of was a map with a river source and a volcano. I always wanted to do something that required both of them, but besides diverting the river into the volcano, i couldn't think of anything neat.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 11:00:51 pm »

The best embark I can thing of was a map with a river source and a volcano. I always wanted to do something that required both of them, but besides diverting the river into the volcano, i couldn't think of anything neat.

Obsidian trap?  :P
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 01:00:06 am »

Well, i have an interesting embark, not so sure about cool just yet until i can wall off a reservoir, essentially 2 inlets, 2 outlets, and a 1z higher pool and river, so its flooding the lower areas, and all freezes come winter, pics will show more than my feeble explanation.

Full map image top half is 1z higher;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And a close up of my formerly front entrance that's currently walled off until i sort out the problem;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem
Pages: [1] 2 3