Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steel Anvils  (Read 5854 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steel Anvils
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:03:19 am »

Are steel anvils at all superior to iron anvils?  My map has no flux stone, so should I just melt down all the steel anvils I liberated from the ambushed dwarven caravan to make weapons, or should I rebuild my magma forges with steel anvils in them?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steel Anvils
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:05:53 am »

They're more valuable. If this concerns you, use 'em. Otherwise melt 'em.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:08:43 am »

They cost 3 times as much, yes, but do they have any functional advantage?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:13:48 am »

No, there's no functional advantage to any material with regards to anvils. People have had bone anvils made from strange moods and those worked just as well as iron and steel did.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:18 am »

I never understood peoples fixation with steel over Iron
I mean, isn't the only difference between steel and iron that 2 steel requires a flux stone AND an iron bar and a pig iron bar to make?
or is it simply, they don't have the flux?
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:33:58 am »

I never understood peoples fixation with steel over Iron
I mean, isn't the only difference between steel and iron that 2 steel requires a flux stone AND an iron bar and a pig iron bar to make?
or is it simply, they don't have the flux?

Steel is better in weapons/armours.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:03:54 am »

well, yeah I know its super special awesome in terms of weapon/armour/value,
but I mean, why bother melting down the steel anvil?
why not simply keep it a steel anvil, unless that one flux required to turn an iron anvil to a steel one is that valuable...
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Alambique

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven science is underated.
    • View Profile
    • MY GUEST ROOM
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:17:22 am »

Steel and Iron anvils work exactly the same, one has no special bonuses over the other. So, you will be ok using the iron ones for the forges, and melting the steel anvils for weapon/armor production. 

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:26:57 pm »

well, yeah I know its super special awesome in terms of weapon/armour/value,
but I mean, why bother melting down the steel anvil?
why not simply keep it a steel anvil, unless that one flux required to turn an iron anvil to a steel one is that valuable...
If by "the flux is that valuable" you mean "my only source of flux is whatever is carried in by the dwarven supply caravan", then yeah it's pretty valuable.  Priceless in fact.  Iron on the other hand I have coming out of my ears.  A pretty strange medical condition I'll admit, but there you go.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:20 pm »

I think steel anvils are a vestigial remnant of the 2d versions, where I believe they were actually needed in order to build magma forges.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 04:25:44 pm »

I think steel anvils are a vestigial remnant of the 2d versions, where I believe they were actually needed in order to build magma forges.

Not true - in 23a, magma workshops needed steel bars (oddly, steel blocks wouldn't work) but magma forges worked fine with iron anvils. The only advantage of using steel was for higher value as trade goods in case you had a legendary metalsmith but not a legendary armorsmith (since platemail also had a base value of 100) - now that anvils have a base value of 10 (the same as normal furniture - statues are worth 25 and mechanisms 30), it's not really worth it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 04:55:31 pm »

Because steel is more dwarvenly. That is why.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:14 pm »

Hans Lemurson, melt the steel anvils down. You can always get more steel anvils from the next dwarf caravan. As long as you HAVE an iron anvil already, you are good to go.

And I've often had the same problem--- lots of iron, no flux anywhere. When you are there, steel anything (but usuable armor and weapons) is raw material for steel bars.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!