Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cage trap are awesome but....  (Read 1805 times)

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage trap are awesome but....
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:25:51 am »

How do I empty them?
Without any casualty?
Seriously now
I have been trying to empty this thing for hours
If not empty then how do I move the inside creature to the other cage?
I have tried doing the basic stuff but the thief escaped outta the trap

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cage trap are awesome but....
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:33:16 am »

If you do d-b-d and click the cage, then escape out of that and press 'k' and then select the cage and press 'd', it should mark all the items inside (equipment) for dumping without dumping the cage. The creature inside should be less dangerous unequipped.

Next, build the cage (unbuild it if necessary first) right next to where you want to dump them, which is I'm guessing a pit or arena or something like that. Mark the pit zone with 'i' if necessary. Only dump one creature at a time. That last part is very important.

If you want to dispose of them in magma, you can dump the whole cage if you don't mind losing the cage.

Moving creatures from one cage to another is tricky, best to be avoided. You can unbuild a cage that has a creature inside it, if you want to move the cage and creature around. If it's in an animal stockpile, you can build it with b-j, then press tab to see the detail list and look for "goblin cage" or whatever. :)

Edit: I don't know if a creature in an unbuilt cage can be properly pitted or not. I would imagine so.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:37:18 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:59:06 am »

I'm using flip bridge:
Code: [Select]
╔═══╗╔═══╗
║‼‼‼╠╝╔═╗║
║‼‼‼┼^║≈║┼
║‼‼‼╠╗╚═╝║
╚═══╝╚═══╝
From left to right:
Room with 9 cages, all cages linked to single lever
Door
Pressure plate, set to trigger on all non-citizens
Retractable bridge, linked to pressure plate, and a deep pit under it.
Door.

First you unlock all doors, install cages, link to lever. Then lock rightmost door and pull lever. Prisoners begin to wander there and trigger plate, which removes bridge. In some time almost of them drop to the pit.
The middle door is used to minimize the room space for last goblin, he gets only plate and a bridge to wander.

But now I'm bored with all that stuff. Tell me, if a cage with a creature is dumped to deep pit, will the creature receive damage?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:46 am »

Yeah the thing that's a pain in the ass is all the linking, it stops being funny after you've done it a couple of times.

Stuff in a cage is effectively in a pocket dimension, they aren't there to take any damage.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 04:19:31 am »

I went and took their weapons off so now what?
I want to dump them in a brook so that they drown
how do I do that?

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 04:27:44 am »

Create a pit zone and assign the creature to it. In my experience, wild animals and thieves tend to escape while hauling, but goblin soldiers don't.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 05:04:45 am »

How to assign the creature to it?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 05:34:52 am »

Yeah the thing that's a pain in the ass is all the linking, it stops being funny after you've done it a couple of times.

Stuff in a cage is effectively in a pocket dimension, they aren't there to take any damage.
Damn. And what about flooding placed cages or dumping cages to water pool?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:40:21 am »

Damn. And what about flooding placed cages or dumping cages to water pool?
As I recall, they don't drown because they're in a pocket dimension. Your dwarves will still starve mind, and impregnated (before they got caged) animals will still give birth, but otherwise they won't interact with the outside environment at all.

Pitting a creature was done from the 'i'zones menu as I recall. Just look around the menu and it'll prompt you. By the way, you HAVE channelled out that brook so they can actually fall into it right? Otherwise you'll be trying to drop them onto a shallow floor which you can walk across without even getting wet. In fact, since channeling out will still leave ramps for them to walk up, you'd then need to wall in that section so they can't escape. May as well make a reservoir (pump that brook) and drown them in there.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 05:44:14 am »

I've actually had caged animals I bought from the elves give birth while still in their original cage, so I kind of suspect they can get pregnant while locked up, unless they're randomly pregnant when you buy them (don't know).

and yeah caged stuff won't drown either (pity).

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 06:18:42 am »

If you want to dispose of them in magma, you can dump the whole cage if you don't mind losing the cage.

You know what, when I first read that I thought it was crazy because for whatever reason I think of cages as a really valuable commodity - but - gosh that makes way too much sense.  Fuckers are going in the magma from now on, it's just a log or a bit of sand.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 06:40:42 am »

Fuckers are going in the magma from now on, it's just a log or a bit of sand.
It's too simple. I drop ambushes to volcano without caging them, but punishing thieves who usually fill cages should be more spectacular!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:35:27 am »

Huh, they're actually dead on the unit list - this isn't how I had heard it worked.  I am completely sure that with BUILT cages that are submerged in water, the occupants won't drown, but I don't really know about loose cages.  Dumping them in magma definitely fries the contents though, I feel very gratified sending those bastard goblins STRAIGHT TO HELL!  The big clouds of smoke were a great bonus.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:15:15 am »

You know what, when I first read that I thought it was crazy because for whatever reason I think of cages as a really valuable commodity - but - gosh that makes way too much sense.  Fuckers are going in the magma from now on, it's just a log or a bit of sand.

I used to be worried about conserving materials like that too, but then I realized cages aren't hard to make. Admittedly if it was a masterwork cage or a metal cage, I'd find a way to dispose of them while saving the cage, but regular wooden and glass ones go down the magma hatch now. One lever, one linkup, infinite ability to dump things in magma. No chance of escape either.

It's over a "flow" tile too so everything gets destroyed. :)

Edit:  Soo.. pretty...

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:22:45 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 11:39:02 pm »

Hmm, it turns out there is a tiny problem with this - masterwork cages thrown in the oubliette will really piss off the guy that made them.  Oopsie.

"She has suffered the travesty of art defacement."  awwwww :(
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:41:29 pm by FleshForge »
Pages: [1] 2