Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't elves attack?  (Read 1163 times)

ellipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't elves attack?
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:11:13 am »

The elves just won't siege my fortress... I've seized trade goods for 8 years straight now, along with dumping the traders into the Pit of !!Happiness!! or using them as test subjects. I have cage traps all ready, I'm waiting for the elves to attack, and now I'm running low on test subjects to use for Dwarven Science. Why won't they attack?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:13:07 am by ellipsis »

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't elves attack?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:45:59 am »

Nobody knows.  I'm starting to come to the conclusion that elven sieges are merely anecdotal accounts unproven by science.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:02:02 am »

You still haven't cut down/fried/removed enough trees.
I suggest using dfhack to spawn an entire z-level of magma in midair, above the trees
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

ellipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:08:15 am »

Do tower-caps count? Most of the map is mountains or charred remnants from an accident involving a berserk dwarf and a Boatmurdered-style magma flooding system.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:37 am »

I suggest using dfhack to spawn an entire z-level of magma in midair, above the trees
That won't hurt the trees at all, sadly.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 03:10:33 am »

That won't hurt the trees at all, sadly.
no, it's not to kill the trees. It's to kill the elves and burn the saplings.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:00:59 am »

I've never had elves attack either, humans though?  They'll siege you if a caravan gets ambushed by goblins.

And when they send a liaison to make peace, just kill the liaison.

In my current fortress, either kobolds/goblins didn't survive world gen, or they can't reach me, but humans/dwarves can, so I've had human sieges for the past 5 or so years.

Ceaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:08:12 am »

Do tower-caps count? Most of the map is mountains or charred remnants from an accident involving a berserk dwarf and a Boatmurdered-style magma flooding system.
Yes, elves care just as strongly about the underground "trees" (and chopping them down will count towards any tree quota the elves have brainwashed you into accepting).

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:22:44 am »

I just tell the elf to go off him self every year when he asks about the trees. He smiles says good bye and comes back the next year asking the same ???  Might kill him this year  8)

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:27 am »

Elves attack? I thought those caravans were free shipments of goods to my fortress as a gesture of respect for us  ::)