Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smashing 18,000 Stone & FPS Question  (Read 1499 times)

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smashing 18,000 Stone & FPS Question
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:00 pm »

I'm building a massive above ground fort right now, and just from the stone dug out ABOVE ground I have 18,000 stone, with 6,000 in red [I assume this is constructions and stone used in floors, etc]

With such a huge amount of stone, I have read that every single stone gets checked for pathing calculations when doing building and such. If I start forbidding tons of stone or perhaps smashing it, can I reduce my FPS? If mass forbids are just as effective as smashing, then I'd like to find out.

Anyone happen to definitively be able to answer this?

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smashing 18,000 Stone & FPS Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:49:23 pm »

time for SCIENCE!
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:13:29 pm »

Megaprojects say yes, reducing item count by smashing stone helps. But, megaprojects also deal with 20 or more times that much stone. So... would that much stone help by removing it? I wouldn't think it would, but you're welcome to try science.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:40:24 pm »

I've always been under the impression that stone FPS issues are caused by calculating pathing to stones when building or crafting. That stone stockpiles and forbidding stone en masse reduces this lag. But I wanted to make sure that this was true as opposed to the only other method I can consider, which is smashing them to bits.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:52:08 am »

But why do you have a large amout of stone dug out if you are building above ground? Anway You could try to see what happens if you forbid all stone in a few movements if you are building above ground.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 12:56:44 am »

I've always been under the impression that stone FPS issues are caused by calculating pathing to stones when building or crafting. That stone stockpiles and forbidding stone en masse reduces this lag. But I wanted to make sure that this was true as opposed to the only other method I can consider, which is smashing them to bits.

Dorfs don't look for jobs, jobs looks for dorfs.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 02:13:58 pm »

But why do you have a large amout of stone dug out if you are building above ground? Anway You could try to see what happens if you forbid all stone in a few movements if you are building above ground.

Because I carved into a mountain, and I am dwarfy.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:23:23 pm »

The stones don't patch as far as I know, that would just be silly.
I know that when you check you stock page and have TONS of stone, it can take a long time to load the stone amount, slowing the game, but that's just in that menu. As far as I can tell the amount of rocks doesn't really matter unless you have really really silly amounts of it all.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:39:28 pm »

Stone doesn't use up FPS nearly as fast as long corridors all over the place do.

Forbid all your stone. Forbidden objects aren't checked for much of anything, so if your FPS increases noticeably, then the stone was the issue.

On the other hand, try walling/locking off all your empty mine levels or cavern entrances. That tends to make a very real difference. Honestly I think a lot of the FPS hit we see in DF2010 is simply because of the caverns. Each cavern you breach adds a HUGE amount of very complex pathing space to the world, which can be expensive when dwarves are trying to reach destinations that are far away from their current location.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:30 pm »

Actually, large numbers of stones can cause extra CPU drain due to being affected by temperature changes, which can cause very significant lag if they are outdoors and thus subjected to the weather (underground, everything is temperature 10015).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 03:10:36 pm »

Actually, large numbers of stones can cause extra CPU drain due to being affected by temperature changes, which can cause very significant lag if they are outdoors and thus subjected to the weather (underground, everything is temperature 10015).

Ill have to turn off temperature then. I know that they are probably undergoing this, being all above ground.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:41:54 pm »

Yeah, if something has to calculate against all those objects like temperature, then the cost could start to get a bit rough. Still - pathfinding is numero uno in most forts, liquid flow is another potential killer.

Things like object count and temperature are a bit more of a special case that seems to come up during mega-projects.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 06:20:43 pm »

I've always been under the impression that stone FPS issues are caused by calculating pathing to stones when building or crafting.

The only thing that is calculated is the direct distance from the job to the stone, which is a very easy calculation, and has a negligible effect on fps.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 06:36:27 pm »

Ill try disabling temperature, as it seems those calculations are probably having a lot more of an effect due to the variety of weather my embark gets.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 10:22:44 pm »

Stones do not look for jobs, jobs look for dwarves and stones.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."
Pages: [1] 2