Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Recommend me some Games!  (Read 5234 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me some Games!
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 11:14:12 am »

morrowind, Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and all of its expansions.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 11:19:52 am »

x2 on Morrowind, but you'll want to hunt down some of the fan patches and fixes at least. Possibly some of the other mods out there, but try it with just the fixes first. The Unofficial Patch is highly recommended; I won't play the game without it.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:44 pm »

If people are going to pimp Doom, then I'm sure going to pimp Rise of the Triad.  It had the most utterly insanely awesome guns in...well, I don't know if any FPS has exceeded them yet.  I hear that Serious Sam had some pretty crazy ones but I dunno.  Guns that shoot four randomly wandering + heat-seeking missiles... guns that shoot one missile that splits into two when you let go of the button, which then seek out enemies...  The most secret areas of any FPS I've seen, like, for serious.  So many different end-of-level bonuses that they're on par with modern achievements.  The Flamewall, which sweeps across the ground and is GREAT fun in Multiplayer.  God mode, which is a powerup that makes you invulnerable and lets you annihilate things...for fifteen seconds.  Dog mode, which lets you eat faces and make people explode by howling.  Also, the first real video game age-rating scheme was released just before they went gold, so they had an emergency meeting to figure out how to make sure their game wound up in the highest classification.  They added eyeballs to the gib effects.

It pre-dated Quake and maybe even Heretic.  But it's totally worth it.  Enormously long game, pretty challenging, surprisingly good and memorable music for being MIDI.  And, well...if you remember what Apogee used to mean for games, that alone should be enough to try it out...it's funny without being dumb.  Lightly campy.  Hell they even used live-action actors for their enemies, which is totally more amusing when one of the bosses is a guy in a motorized and heavily armored chair.  You just know that they took an armchair and taped paper to it.  Man, what a good game.  In terms of being the underappreciated but arguably better game, ROTT was to Doom what Unreal was to Quake.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 03:23:14 pm »

I would reccomend downloading emulators for various game systems (PS, N64, etc) and playing various games for those (ocarina of time is the classic example).

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 05:10:53 pm »

If people are going to pimp Doom, then I'm sure going to pimp Rise of the Triad.  It had the most utterly insanely awesome guns in...well, I don't know if any FPS has exceeded them yet.  I hear that Serious Sam had some pretty crazy ones but I dunno.  Guns that shoot four randomly wandering + heat-seeking missiles... guns that shoot one missile that splits into two when you let go of the button, which then seek out enemies...  The most secret areas of any FPS I've seen, like, for serious.  So many different end-of-level bonuses that they're on par with modern achievements.  The Flamewall, which sweeps across the ground and is GREAT fun in Multiplayer.  God mode, which is a powerup that makes you invulnerable and lets you annihilate things...for fifteen seconds.  Dog mode, which lets you eat faces and make people explode by howling.  Also, the first real video game age-rating scheme was released just before they went gold, so they had an emergency meeting to figure out how to make sure their game wound up in the highest classification.  They added eyeballs to the gib effects.

It pre-dated Quake and maybe even Heretic.  But it's totally worth it.  Enormously long game, pretty challenging, surprisingly good and memorable music for being MIDI.  And, well...if you remember what Apogee used to mean for games, that alone should be enough to try it out...it's funny without being dumb.  Lightly campy.  Hell they even used live-action actors for their enemies, which is totally more amusing when one of the bosses is a guy in a motorized and heavily armored chair.  You just know that they took an armchair and taped paper to it.  Man, what a good game.  In terms of being the underappreciated but arguably better game, ROTT was to Doom what Unreal was to Quake.

+1

For those of you who want to play it on a modern system without using Dosbox (and for other nicities, such as high-res textures, models, widescreen resolutions, etc...) try playing with WinRott or GLRott. Last I checked, the multiplayer in them worked fine, too. Or of course there's a bunch of Doom mods for it, such as The Return of the Triad (ZDoom forum / WadsInProgress / Youtube Videos ) which is still a WIP, but according to the authors it should be done in a couple of months.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »

I would reccomend downloading emulators for various game systems (PS, N64, etc) and playing various games for those (ocarina of time is the classic example).
PS1 and N64's games will probably take a very long time to download if you are downloading one (I assume you own the game if you are downloading it :D )

However consoles that are older than them will usually have games that are very small in megabytes.

And if you do download a PS1 emulator you will be better off to have an SCPH1001 bios as it is the recommended bios.You can get the memory card files out of EPSXE by minimising it while it is running and copying the files.

PS2 emulators and consoles older than that will chew your system apart if it isn't good enough.

And ROTT was originaly going to be a sequal to Wolfenstein 3D that's why some of the guards have swastikka's on their uniform.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:37:49 pm by Dwarf mc dwarf »

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 07:52:09 pm »

Did anyone mention Alien Swarm?
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 08:04:26 pm »

Did anyone mention Alien Swarm?
Yes.  Ctrl-F is your friend.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 08:19:38 pm »

I came across a few interesting games on kongregate recently, one about "programming" a robot to navigate a level with a limited total number of commands, and the other about creating a pseudo-binary logic device that would process strings of red and blue dots represented as robots being sent along a series of conveyor belts, logic gates (sends red one way, blue another, and other (including empty) forward, or green one way, yellow one way, and other/empty forward), and writers (which could write red, blue, green, or yellow dots to the end of the string). It's hard as hell if you don't binary logic, at least the later levels are (such as one about only sending it to the end if it has an equal number of blue and red dots, with no memory but what's in the string, which can only be modified by reading the first bit (removing it) and appending a new bit to the end).
Can anyone tell me the name of this???? It sounds very interesting and worth a look.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 12:22:39 pm »

Lightbot (and Lightbot 2.0 (which is has conditionals and recursion)) for the one with the programmed robot, and Manufactoria for the one about pseudo-binary logic.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 04:50:58 pm »

Day of the purple tentacle. funny, great point and click by um, I think the people who did grim fandango.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 02:56:04 am »

Just 'Day of the Tentacle' I think.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 08:25:52 am »

Dungeon crawl stone soup, it's quite fun and varied in comparison to some roguelikes.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 10:17:23 am »

Quest for Glory I and II.  However, I prefer the old graphics over the revised editions.  Fun times.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4