Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How big is bay12  (Read 4793 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
How big is bay12
« on: September 01, 2010, 03:57:19 pm »

After the bay12 forum got quoted on RPS for its coverage of a certain mythical RL I wondered how significant bay12 was on the wider internet.

So i wasted 15mins today looking at the size of various forums to see how big we are in comparison with others

Bay12: 18607 members 1039 max daily attendance

Tigsauce: 30404 m, 715mda

spacesim central: 920 m

Paradox forums: 223118m (33307 listed active)

Unknown worlds: 46710m, 3499mda

Temple of the Roguelike 652m

Chaos Forge 1607m

(you can add to this list if you like)

i tried to get some figures for RPS forums, battlenet (probs more members than humans on earth), and escapist but they didnt show em.

these are just the forums im either aware of or frequent, theres probs many others. But we seem pretty big given that we are centred round an eclectic ascii game.

Also our internet influence is about more than just numbers, but the kinds of discussions we have, i expect 10% of our population has a greater IQ than the whole of battlenet combined.

Im interested (just casually) in the role of forums like this as a force or influence on the internet. People come here to plug their games (either for testing, general interest or sale) and we sometimes get quoted on other blogs, so this community is more than just the DF fan base.

discuss:
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How big is bay12
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:06:28 pm »

That huge peak was when 31.00 got released, after that, its been around half that for the most people online, something like 400 to 600 at most.

Also, there are tons more lurkers and nonactive members here at bay12 than actual active members.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:11:08 pm »

Not sure what stats to use, but on another forum where I'm on the staff, in our heyday as an Everquest Rogue resource site, we had 100,000 registered members.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 04:23:05 pm »

yeh, forum membership isnt necessarily going to be the best measure of forum activity, especialyl on places like steam where its mandatory, but its a method of comparison.

also 100,000 is alot, like half paradox
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:25:58 pm »

And statics about here are still inconclusive, as the comunity has a vague split between the upper and lower halves of the forum.
Eh?
Eh!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:42:34 pm »

We do have a stats page. The one that stands out for me is the Posts Per Day stat, which is far more an indication of popularity and use than registered members (and certainly far more than being quoted / referenced by other websites, because you link to the content, irrespective of how big the community supporting it or popularity of it) We're just shy of 1650 new posts a day, and while I don't keep a record of these things, I think that's going up.

In the top five most popular boards, three are 'above the line' in the DF-related segment, so the board still like to talk about DF more than relationship advice and Mafia, so there's that.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 05:47:44 pm »

Who the hell is Jifodus? "Resident Lurker"? Mo' like President Lurker, amirite?

No? Maybe?

Yeah that dude has an insane amount of time logged, crazy stuff right there.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:49:32 pm »

On the stats page, cheeck the history section. Posts per day was 3k, dropped to 2k, and is rising back to 3k average over the past few months.

Even if you don't, the forum has recorded stats daily that you can view...
Eh?
Eh!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:08 pm »

Sure stomps AnywhereBB. We've got 913 members and only like, 4 active at any given moment, not counting IRC.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »

There are almost 397 pages of Escaped Lunatics (less than 8 posts).
That's 11908 'members.'
There are a total of 621 pages.
That's only around 6720 Bay Watchers.
Sorting by post, there are about 30 pages of people with 300+ posts.
That's just around 900 people.
Only about 10 pages of people with 1000+ posts.
Then, you have to factor in the divide.
What you get is a smaller number of more active people in the lower forums, with the large hordes of low post counts in the upper forums.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:25:06 pm »

I wouldn't really consider Bay12 to be that massive of a community, and I really wouldn't want it to be! I think the forum's got just the right amount of people online AND the right type of people. The reason we're not as massive as forums like SomethingAwful is because we appeal to the more mature audience, and I think mature people are less common on the internet than people who, bluntly, aren't.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:59 pm »

This community has a lot more quality than quantity in my honest opinion.

You guys are pretty awesome.

You will never tell anyone that I said this.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 12:03:36 am »

If you want the maturity of bay12, a sense of community, and a good sized forum, check out xkcd. 52500 members, 300 of which have over 1000 posts, and 600 have over 500 posts. (and some of the subforums don't contribute to postcount, so that's a lower bound).
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 02:18:21 am »

If you want the maturity of bay12, a sense of community, and a good sized forum, check out xkcd. 52500 members, 300 of which have over 1000 posts, and 600 have over 500 posts. (and some of the subforums don't contribute to postcount, so that's a lower bound).

Meh, I've never liked xkcd as much.  They don't do the same sort of taking funny things and running with it, in my experience, and there's not the same sort of well-known personalities thing.  Not as welcoming, either... well, anyway.  That's just me.

Maybe it will improve with time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 02:37:59 am »

I really like Bay12, it's the only community I've ever gotten in to. I've had alot of fun here over the time I've spent here, because this just seems to be a place that naturally attracts nice, intelligent people, and I think that's what makes Bay12 as good a community as it is.

I used to be a big GameFAQ's guy, but I just couldn't handle the general vibe and community. Plus, the forum system was a piece of shit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4