Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88403 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #555 on: February 21, 2011, 12:02:35 am »

Is there an official PvP mode now, or are you guys just making something up on your own?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:51 am »

Events and monster spawns are coded in XML files.  It's trivial to go in and remove the arena's spawns, and even set it up so the players get access to more powerful magicks as the fight goes on.

Other than that, yes, it's houserules.  The game doesn't say "Cfoofoo wins!" when Cfoofoo wins, and it doesn't revive everyone when the fight is over.
Shoes...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 21, 2011, 12:31:00 am »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 21, 2011, 12:31:34 am »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:09:43 pm by MC Dirty »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 21, 2011, 12:36:14 am »

Speaking of challenges... does anybody else have serious issues playing the Glade?

I've tried it three times in singleplayer; two of those times had me die when I spontaneously dropped through the floor. Both times, I was walking (as opposed to flying through the air after being hit), and randomly fell through the terrain.
It also randomly lags - I'll have incredible lag spikes of 5-10 seconds. Given that it's never happened during two Adventure runthroughs and a half-dozen matches on Havindr, and it happens once or twice per Glade round, I'd say it's a problem with the map.  >:(

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:48 am »

So far I haven't noticed any problems on the glade, but I've only played it five or six times, and my tactics consisted of shotgunning the enemies with arcane ice.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 21, 2011, 03:54:38 am »

Thanks for the links!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 21, 2011, 05:25:46 am »

I think I've found the solution to Yetis.

Fear.

It gives you the one thing Yetis refuse to: time to fucking do something other than run. With fear Yetis went from being omg horrible to merely dangerous.

Also......

Double Vortex caused our last game to drop to 2 FPS, and caused us both to fall through the world. On the last guys of Wave 20.

That spell is now twice as awesome.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:29 am »

I think I've found the solution to Yetis.

Fear.

It gives you the one thing Yetis refuse to: time to fucking do something other than run. With fear Yetis went from being omg horrible to merely dangerous.

I use a bubble shield, immediately reinforced to beyond maximum strength by shift+casting a circle of life+shield mines twice (or more), to put an impenetrable barrier between me and the Yetis. Then I kill 'em with steam or rain sword storms followed by lightning sword storms. (The lightning tends to be powerful enough to take down the shield around the time the first Yeti dies, if I don't re-reinforce it, too)

Note: This is not a good way to survive Thunderstorm. It wtfpwns bubble shields, even if they're reinforced constantly with repeat-casted life mines.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:03:25 am by Shadowlord »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 21, 2011, 06:37:36 am »

The best way to survive a thunderstorm is to constantly renew every type of shield that could protect you from it. Personal shields, lightning shields, bubble shields, anything that can take a hit for you without you dying should be conjured as fast as possible if you don't have one already.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 21, 2011, 08:08:17 am »

The best way to survive a thunderstorm is to constantly renew every type of shield that could protect you from it. Personal shields, lightning shields, bubble shields, anything that can take a hit for you without you dying should be conjured as fast as possible if you don't have one already.
Actually, a lightning shield should be enough since it completely protects you from every kind of lightning damage and holds for about 12 seconds. Looking at the beam times and since both calculations use ticks, it's probably 11.8 seconds. So, if you recast your lightning shield after about 10 seconds, you should be absolutely safe from lightning storm. But a self-shield isn't a bad idea since damage never goes through a shield, even if the damage is more than enough to break it. At least it seems like it, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:10:55 am by MC Dirty »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2011, 08:14:47 am »

Getting hit with a lightning bolt cancels out your lightning shield.

It does for me anyway.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2011, 08:16:50 am »

I've never had that happen, although it can be really hard to get a shield up since you're going to be getting wet.
Shoes...

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 21, 2011, 10:01:21 am »

I've never had that happen, although it can be really hard to get a shield up since you're going to be getting wet.
That's why you always, always press QE Space as quickly as possible whenever you see someone cast a Great Magick (the ones where they float in the air for a second and a circle appears around them). Also, SAFE (easy to remember) is exactly that. It pretty much covers all the elements the enemy spellcasters got in their beams. Lightning-Arcane-Fire resistance.
Also, is it just me or do you get massive knockback when your self-shield breaks? I'm generally only encountering that in Challenge Mode on multiplayer because the Staff of Life is pretty good at preventing that in Adventure Mode. The worst attacks (for you!) are really the water bombs from the warlocks, especially in the mindduel.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:11:45 am by MC Dirty »

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:22 am »

Righteous Rod of Runes: for surviving thunderstorms, accept no substitute!

No, but really, lightning shield usually works pretty well, the problem is just that you need a water shield up as well. Since the rain gets you wet you cannot recast your lightning shield, the water shield prevents this, but keeping two different shields up makes it easy to make mistakes and in a lightning storm mistakes usually makes you end up in small chunks all over the screen.  :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45