Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88432 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #495 on: February 12, 2011, 04:55:53 pm »

So I've seen a lot of people using QFSAAA to pwn pretty much everything, but that's 1 Steam, 1 Shock, and 3 Arcane. Why not use QFASSS? That's 1 Steam, 3 Shock, and 1 Arcane. Using it in AOE mode gives you another 100 damage, which can make a difference.

Also something I came up with (though others may have too) QFEAAA, it's a steam/shock storm (non-solid wall) and it's nice for area denial, though you can kill yourself so easily with it.

Are you sure they aren't using QFQFASA or the like? Most people think that's the most powerful beam or AOE spell. (They're almost correct. QFQFQFAS is stronger)

I occasionally use QERRAS on my sword or as an AOE (usually on my sword rather than as an AOE) - it's an exploding electric icewall - but normal AOEs never kill the caster whereas this can and does if you get knocked into it. It's safer as a sword attack since it makes a line away from you.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 14, 2011, 02:25:12 am »

This game is awesome. I have to run it in 800X600 resolution or it lags to hell, but it's still great. I'm on the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
having a ton of fun blasting the weird goblin mage things with the M60. It is kind of annoying when their beams cross, create a massive explosion and throw you off the island though... ::)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As for beam spells, ASR is pretty good, fast to conjure and freezes the enemy in place. Does respectable damage as an AOE and sword attack as well. I can never get the longer ones typed in time to actually hit anything.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 14, 2011, 03:34:18 am »

I used the War Wizard Staff throughout the whole game. The only staff that COULD have been better was the Aristostaff, but that's nearly impossible to pick up in time.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 14, 2011, 10:36:52 am »

The Aristo-staff looks nice on paper, but it's really annoying to use, since the 'resistance to all elements' includes life resistance, making it take an eternity to heal.

I like the Righteous Rod of Runes, from the dwarf priest-mage dudes, since it allows you to survive lightning storms with its lightning immunity aura. The Frost Staff is nice for similar reasons, it lets you spa blizzard constantly. Finally, when playing multiplayer arena, the Staff of the Troll King is amazing, since it makes all the monsters ignore one player who can then blast them with impunity.

For swords, I like the lightsaber Arcane Saber, for the incredible damage and the equally incredible cool factor. The Knife of Counter-striking gets the most-useful-piece-of-equipment award, though.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 14, 2011, 06:25:31 pm »

Downloaded the demo today, had a lot of fun, currently downloading the full version.
Also, what's this Q, F, S, A, E stuff? What does it stand for. I didn't exactly get far, being alone and stuff. Also, how do you cast grenades? I've done it once and I've seen some people cast heal grenades (which is extremely hilarious), but I have no idea how to do it.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #500 on: February 14, 2011, 06:26:53 pm »

Downloaded the demo today, had a lot of fun, currently downloading the full version.
Also, what's this Q, F, S, A, E stuff? What does it stand for. I didn't exactly get far, being alone and stuff. Also, how do you cast grenades? I've done it once and I've seen some people cast heal grenades (which is extremely hilarious), but I have no idea how to do it.
Q, F, S, A and E are exactly what they seem - the keys pressed to cast the spell. Grenades are probably earth + other elements.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 14, 2011, 08:01:52 pm »

You might be thinking of Arcane/heal + shield.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2011, 08:03:18 pm »

Also, what's this Q, F, S, A, E stuff? What does it stand for.

You must be using a controller?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 15, 2011, 12:15:58 am »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:09:58 pm by MC Dirty »

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #504 on: February 15, 2011, 01:03:01 am »

Tips for Grimnir:
1: Nullify his big spells or his ghosts
2: Get him wet and run to the bottom and hide behind some rocks
3: Lightning bolt him to death
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 15, 2011, 01:15:01 am »

Your self-shield will reflect the beams from Grimnir's ghost forms. However, the flame wave and lightning bolt will cancel out the shield. With time warp, you should be able to recast the shield every time it gets taken down. Then you can feel free to use whichever uber-damaging spell you want to rape him. The problem comes when the multiple ghost forms start crossing their beams and you get blown off the tiny platform out of no fault of your own.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 15, 2011, 02:32:17 am »

Just nullify the ghosts and any storms he creates, then steam lightning bolt his ass to death. I've tried hitting him with water beam and then a cold beam, but only in rare conditions (while creating ghosts / casting spells) does he appear to freeze, and even then he usually manages to finish the spell anyways despite appearing frozen.

The first time I did it he did seem to freeze and didn't cast anything, but on a re-play it didn't work at all - oh well!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 15, 2011, 01:24:05 pm »

Thanks for the tips!

Okay, so Shield+element on self gives you resistance to that element and shield on yourself without element is a reflection spell, I guess? Does it also reflect resistances that you cast on yourself? Because a fire resistance would be pretty handy. Of course, it won't work against the ghosts, but the fire wave is so annoying.
So, heal grenades far away from him, shield on yourself, haste, time warp, QFQFQFAS and nullify the fuck out of the ghosts, got it.

Will Nullify also break the beams that the ghosts cast on me?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 16, 2011, 10:02:58 am »

No need to get so complicated.

Time warp + get him wet + QFASA spam(spell, not the beam)

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:46 pm »

Will Nullify also break the beams that the ghosts cast on me?

Nullify will not only break the beams the ghosts cast, it will break the ghosts themselves.  ;)
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 45