Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88509 times)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #360 on: January 31, 2011, 05:38:03 pm »

Just got to Khan's castle, completed the outside area with the behemoth dudes. Currently stuck in the cutscene at the end of that level: the king, captain of the guard, and a small squad walk up from the bottom of the screen, and the game goes in to cutscene mode, and stays that way. Nothing happens.

Re: Lightning Shield: the elemental resist auras (Element + shield + M3) are very low-key compared to all other effects. Look for a translucent set of lines on the ground circling your dude. (For lightning, the lines will be purple.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:40:29 pm by mross »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 31, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »

Wow, I didn't know you can self-cast shields. Great to know!

P.S. It looks like I can't self-cast lightning+shield... How so? Also where is that elemental spell?

Ohhh... and if you have shields self cast on you (the personal forcefield) arrows will knock you back. I fought that out the hardway.

Also you did self cast Lightning + Shield... you just didn't notice.
I probably didn't notice :D.

Anyway I've found a staff with lightning immunity and a summon elemental spell. That part is now TOO easy. Hehe.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 31, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »

Lighting defense aura + rain + lighting everywhere.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 31, 2011, 06:02:13 pm »

The summon elemental spell is in erm...

You know the scene where you first meet the dwarf priests? In that room, on the upper left hand corner is a beholder and two other dwarves. They guard a door where you must cast fire on. The door will open and the spell is inside there.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 31, 2011, 06:10:07 pm »

Yeah, as I said I've found it. Still thank you :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 31, 2011, 06:27:04 pm »

Daww, I cannot win that place where an army of dwarves with beholders marches down the corridor. I always die when there's just a wizard and a few warriors are left. :(

Lightning shield.

All times.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 31, 2011, 06:46:56 pm »

I didn't know about elemental shields :). Now the game became much more easier.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:52 am »

It runs so much better now.

Just kept a 4 man game reasonably stable (no one dropped) through all 20 waves of Havindr Arena.  First time that's happened.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 02, 2011, 05:45:34 pm »

Is anyone still playing?
I picked this game up from Steam last night, and it's so much fun.

Though Q F A S A is way overpowered. Trolls die in seconds. The only bad part is that it doesn't work against druids, because you have to use lightning twice, and they cast rain a whole lot. Using lighting twice while wet is... not fun.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 02, 2011, 05:50:14 pm »

I'm still playing almost every night.  Enjoying it even more now that stability has improved greatly.  I play at odd hours, though... 3-6 am or so Indianapolis time.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 02, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »

I've been playing on and off every few days to test stability. Last night went pretty well, we only had 2 crashes, 2 failed Chapter 1 attempts and some de-sync funkiness over probably 3 hours. I've gotten at least 7 friends into the game now, and so it's kind of been night after night of "ok, here's what you do....."

As far as what magicks are OP....you quickly learn that a magick's performance in SP, against one monster, means almost nothing in the context of MP against a full room of guys. People that say "lol lightning shield/thunderstorm" aren't playing multiplayer.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 02, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »

I'm actually impressed with the game's ability to force you to improvise quickly and often.  Relying too much on a couple favorite element combinations isn't really a good idea.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2011, 06:00:02 pm »

We've also discovered a couple things about beam-reactions.

1. When beams explode, they explode in every elemental type that the beams were composed of. Even opposing elements. So if you shoot lightning/cold/arcane at a water/arcane beam, your enemies will get wet, frozen, then shocked for extra wet damage when the beams explode.

2. Beams shot into AOE effects can trigger reactions. We're not entirely sure what happened last night...but I was aoeing with lightning/cold/arcane, and someone shot a beam into the enemies as I was aoe-ing them, and we got a beam-explosion type of effect to occur.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2011, 06:12:24 pm »

I'm actually impressed with the game's ability to force you to improvise quickly and often.  Relying too much on a couple favorite element combinations isn't really a good idea.

Except for the most part you can just switch one element for another.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2011, 06:16:10 pm »

It requires you to do some quick thinking at times, especially when you get multiple types of enemies thrown at you.

For example, Rain is my nemesis. I use a lot of lightning by instinct, and when Rain goes out, I have to either switch elements or start planning a series of actions like Nullify, Dry self, slow the druids so they don't recast it, yadda yadda...

And when you have Yak men, or whatever, charging you into a corner and knocking you down, it's not just as simple as "change elements." Even moreso when the AI is actually thinking smart, and the aforementioned druids using Rain will then use cold sprays on you, since you're already wet, and freeze you solid.

There's a lot of split-second decision making and reaction in Magicka that keeps you fairly engrossed while playing. And the game is far, far, far, far, far, far easier on single player. It doesn't seem so at first, but when you've got friends all over the screen, not killing everyone becomes just as hard as killing your enemies quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 45