Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88511 times)

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2011, 05:59:34 pm »

Anyone ever figure out what AoE rock does?

Seems to just crack the ground and not do anything else.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »

I've seen it knocking enemies down.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:07 pm »

For example: Arcane + Fire = Arcane damage, if hit long enough will ignite. Each fire after that determines how long and how long it will take for them to ignite.

This doesn't do the game justice to someone who hasn't played it.

Like there is some very basic puzzle-solving with the elements (like making ice bridges because wizards can't swim).  Above all, the elemental negation systems hint at a ton of depth that I don't think we're fully appreciating yet.  If you get wet, you have to dry yourself off with fire or you'll be unable to use lightning without hurting yourself.  Get other people wet, and they take extra damage from your lightning.  There are multiple ways to get people wet, from making it actually rain, to mining the battlefield with rings of miniature rainclouds, to shooting wet-bombs, etc. 

If they actually implemented some well-designed PvP combat modes, it could be something truly incredible.  One of the best examples of easy-to-learn but difficult-to-master.  A fight between two experienced wizards who can fire off spells quickly and know how to read what an opponent is preparing to cast could be one of the greatest spectacles in online gaming.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2011, 06:04:27 pm »

I've seen it knocking enemies down.

Add another element (especially cold).  Not much damage, but you can keep most things stunlocked and just keep blasting away.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2011, 06:08:27 pm »

For example: Arcane + Fire = Arcane damage, if hit long enough will ignite. Each fire after that determines how long and how long it will take for them to ignite.

This doesn't do the game justice to someone who hasn't played it.

Like there is some very basic puzzle-solving with the elements (like making ice bridges because wizards can't swim).  Above all, the elemental negation systems hint at a ton of depth that I don't think we're fully appreciating yet.  If you get wet, you have to dry yourself off with fire or you'll be unable to use lightning without hurting yourself.  Get other people wet, and they take extra damage from your lightning.  There are multiple ways to get people wet, from making it actually rain, to mining the battlefield with rings of miniature rainclouds, to shooting wet-bombs, etc. 

If they actually implemented some well-designed PvP combat modes, it could be something truly incredible.  One of the best examples of easy-to-learn but difficult-to-master.  A fight between two experienced wizards who can fire off spells quickly and know how to read what an opponent is preparing to cast could be one of the greatest spectacles in online gaming.

Whoa.
And I disagree; the little nuances of the magic system that make each combination count just a little definitely does it justice. It shows that the game's system is, indeed, truly dynamic. I've been reading about bugs etc. so I think I'll pick it up in Steam once that's all been ironed out as well as once there's some new content etc. so it doesn't get boring too fast. Thanks for all of this.

I had always been sort of disappointed with the "Magic this is magic this and not magic that (and has no chance of leaning toward magic those)" systems most commonly used in regular RPGs and tabletop RPGs too. To be honest, seeing a company (and PI is not a bad company) produce/distribute any sort of game with a meaningful dynamic system such as this is simply great.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2011, 06:22:31 pm »

I think this game + DOTA/LOL/HON could well be the greatest game of all time.

I am having a lot of fun. Disappointed by the bugs and online instability, but still having fun. I like making enemy deaths look like accidents. My most basic set of actions is rock + ice to aoe slow, build a rock + fire wall, charge up a very powerful spell and blast them when they break through.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »

I think this game + DOTA/LOL/HON could well be the greatest game of all time.

I got really addicted to LoL for a few months, even though I hated it at the same time.  I tried to get a bunch of friends motivated to make a game with me in the same style but with more sensible gameplay.  I imagined a similar magic system (less freeform dynamic but similar interaction between elements type stuff), but nobody seemed to get it.  Now I can just point and exclaim "THIS!"
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2011, 07:19:55 pm »

It's interesting when "simple games" are done so well they make the gamer imagine all the future possibilities. If the magic were done only slightly less interestingly, or thorough (rain clouds? who honestly uses those? And yet, there they are, and they're viable), I wouldn't be as excited about what future games might come out of this. But the base game (not the netcode) is solid, more solid conceptually than a lot of games I've played recently. And by all accounts, the sales are showing they did something smart as well as solid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2011, 07:29:13 pm »

(rain clouds? who honestly uses those? And yet, there they are, and they're viable)

I've tried :P

Don't seem like the most efficient way to get people wet.  Though I didn't try making a wall of rainclouds, and then a wall of lightning right behind it.  Could be an effective combo against an advancing group.  Being at work is agonizing right now!  There's so many things I want to try!

Oh!  And put a row of cold landmines right behind the lightning wall, so that when they get through that, they're slowed and thrown back through the damage combo a second time.

Also, I'm not sure if rainclouds block fire attacks.  I've tried it, but only in situations where things were too chaotic to tell if it worked.  Of course, I hadn't thought to try elemental self-shields when I was playing lastnight.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2011, 07:33:10 pm »

Why does your keyboard have a bandwidth meter?
Why wouldn't it? The G15 is a great keyboard.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2011, 08:01:39 pm »

So far still crashing and disconnecting like crazy in multiplayer.  Guess got to wait some more for another patch.

Have beaten the game too, so just need to get some multiplayer action.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2011, 08:38:53 pm »

By the way, the best "circle shield" effect is steam + lightning + shield + (shift, if you like) right-click. Add in however many of each you like. Makes your opponents get wet AND electrocuted.

On the replayability etc: Honestly, guys, for £8, there is no way this game is not worth it. :p I don't even particularly care about having to replay from the start of the level whenever I quit because the game really is that much fun (except Chapter 10... damn scrappy level).

I would also love a deathmatch mode, even though I suspect it'd just be "LOL WINDBLAST" whilst your opponent is charging up a massive spell or something. :p

A rewards system for completing certain goals that ISN'T just "here's another achievement" would be a great way to extend the replayability of the game. Make it provide titles or nicer looking robes or something. Or something like DoomRL's challenge modes. "Hey, you don't have a personal shield! Enjoy getting skullfucked by mages!"

There are so many different ways they could expand the Magicka concept in terms of gameplay modes (puzzle mode with three other wizards, so you can watch your friends ruin your hard work etc).

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2011, 09:15:44 pm »

There are so many different ways they could expand the Magicka concept in terms of gameplay modes (puzzle mode with three other wizards, so you can watch your friends ruin your hard work etc).

I've been thinking about potential for an obstacle-course style puzzle-mode too.  Really, I've wanted to see a gameplay system like this in any game for as long as I can remember.  I'm really surprised it's taken this long for someone to pull it off, but really thankful they finally have.

I would also love a deathmatch mode, even though I suspect it'd just be "LOL WINDBLAST" whilst your opponent is charging up a massive spell or something. :p

Stand back up and blast them with ice, then charge up your massive spell :D

A rewards system for completing certain goals that ISN'T just "here's another achievement" would be a great way to extend the replayability of the game.

Agreed.  I like what they did with it for the time being, though.  They kind of made a mockery of the typical achievement system.  All of the achievements I've gotten were for nothing special, and seemed only thrown in for the sake of the joke (such as "RPG much?").  Seems ironically appropriate when the achievements in most games are a joke anyway :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2011, 12:12:14 am »

Oh god, I love this.
Using Time Warp and Lightning Bolting everything to death. Also using my M60 to mow down troops when possible.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2011, 01:07:32 am »

The challenges are actually pretty fun. By wave 14 or so, the shit gets insane.

Beholders, massive dudes with hammers, warlocks, and tons of the demon guys with the two handed swords. We spent like a solid 2 minutes running around the arena just trying to stay alive and heal. If they corner you, they litterally back you into and mound up 2 deep, knocking you down and into the wall, grabbing you and slashing. Basically the first time you get cornered, you're dead.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45