Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88487 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:18 pm »

You know that Steam+Lightning+Arcane beam spell everyone keeps talking about? Works perfect on your sword as well. Kills mostly everything in one hit.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2011, 04:49:19 pm »

Has anyone managed to successfully get online multiplayer working? I tried it last night with 2 friends and it worked a bit wrong. Namely:
-Whoever was the server sounded like an automaton on TeamSpeak (it lagged it up somehow).
Multiplayer uses a lot of upstream bandwidth for the server, something like 30-40kb/s per player. They need to fix that, not even TF2 that is a FPS uses that much.
Got the person with the highest up speed to host and it works wonderful! Though we were fortunate, since only he's got 1024kb/s while we're stuck with 50kb/s. Thanks for the tip!
No prob... I was kind of like :O when I looked at my bandwidth meter on my keyboard's LCD.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2011, 04:51:16 pm »

Why does your keyboard have a bandwidth meter?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2011, 04:52:58 pm »

Sounds like a good idea t'me. Lets you keep track of that junk while fullscreened.

Now I kinda' want one.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2011, 05:12:14 pm »

Fire is useful when you shield off an area, grease the whole thing, and light it all up.  Thermal underwear advised.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »

Fire is useful when you shield off an area, grease the whole thing, and light it all up.  Thermal underwear advised.

Lightning is MUCH more powerful if you create a field with it.

If you give yourself a lightning shield self (makes you immune to lightning) then create a Lightning Shield AOE... you can kill enemies just by walking away from them and seeing them walk through two layers of electricity.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »

So are there any more combinations of elements besides steam?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2011, 05:36:52 pm »

So are there any more combinations of elements besides steam?

Just two: Steam and Ice

Water + Cold = Ice
Water + Fire = Steam

Some of the most powerful spells use those if ONLY because it technically extends the spell length out. Such as Extanguate...

Fire + Water + Fire + Fire + Water + Fire + Fire + Water (8 Elements)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:38:52 pm by Neonivek »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »

So are we constrained to the named spells, or are there really literally thousands, as the devs have said? I'm curious about this  :P considering getting the game. (now that I have access to my bro's sweet gaming rig, which is more useful to him than me) Also, are there any "practice arenas" where you could just test out spells?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:43:43 pm by freeformschooler »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 26, 2011, 05:42:29 pm »

I love this game, but I'm slightly concerned.  The gameplay seems set up to burn itself out rather quickly.  Needs more challenge modes and/or some kind of competitive multiplayer mode.  I can see players in a week or so re-purposing the challenge arenas for informal deathmatch.  It would work, if inconveniently.  I desperately hope Arrowhead intends to do some expansion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 26, 2011, 05:46:55 pm »

So are we constrained to the named spells, or are there really literally thousands, as the devs have said? I'm curious about this  :P considering getting the game. (now that I have access to my bro's sweet gaming rig, which is more useful to him than me) Also, are there any "practice arenas" where you could just test out spells?

No, just like I said earlier (way way earlier in another thread) while there are many combinations the differences between them are minimal.

For example: Arcane + Fire = Arcane damage, if hit long enough will ignite. Each fire after that determines how long and how long it will take for them to ignite.

If you add lightning to that combo it does the exact same thing except it adds what Lightning does. (except more damage)

Certain elements change the damage ratio though.

There arn't as many true spells.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:49:44 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 26, 2011, 05:50:11 pm »

No, that was really marketing hype. The total # of unique combinations is more like 200. But with what they have, they've done an amazing job.

I love this game, but I'm slightly concerned.  The gameplay seems set up to burn itself out rather quickly.  Needs more challenge modes and/or some kind of competitive multiplayer mode.  I can see players in a week or so re-purposing the challenge arenas for informal deathmatch.  It would work, if inconveniently.  I desperately hope Arrowhead intends to do some expansion.

Agreed, reflecting on the game now, it's going to good for one, full, unbugged campaign playthrough and a couple arena matches. The arenas are fun, but not enough to make a whole night out of it.

Given how successful Magicka has been so far, I think we're a shoe-in for a DLC campaign at the very least. Personally, I'm already hoping for a Magicka 2, a full cost title where they get to expand on all the work they've already done.

PS-Apparently you can...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 26, 2011, 05:52:50 pm »

Thanks guys, I'll mull it over with my bro later on.
This game really reminds me of LostMagic (yes, the DS game, the gameplay was pretty lame but the magic system was not half bad) but less serious and more action-oriented.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 26, 2011, 05:54:10 pm »

There arn't as many true spells.

It's still a good number, and the real draw, anyway, is how fluid and freeform the spellcasting system is.  Also, how drastic the interaction of elements effects gameplay, so while there may not be thousands of spells, there are nearly that many strategies for using them... especially in multiplayer where you can have 4 people combining different combinations of spells.

I wouldn't call the "thousands of spells" thing deceptive advertising... just not very accurate wording.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »

Meh. It's hype-talk. Why say a precise number when you can fudge it, be wrong, convince someone there is a 1,000 and not be called a liar? Just one of my pet peeves with the industry.

What does it for me is the speed of the game and the level of finesse they give you in control. You know why some people still play tournament Street Fighter 2? Because the control system rewarded them as players. It rewarded their speed, their accuracy, their timing, all that jazz...

Magicka does the same thing. I realized this whilst flying through the air, spam healing myself trying to stay alive and cuing up a Warp Time to cast as soon as I stood up. For all the OP abilities and lack of limitations on anything, game really has a lot of subtleties to the controls that don't immediately present themselves. I love games like that, where the tactics are like layers of an onion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 45