Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88424 times)

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »

Hrm... my demo isn't working D:
It gets to about the fourth note of the song and then closes.
I'm fairly sure it's not a problem with my hardware, this computer is brand spanking new and Magicka doesn't require an incredibly high-end video card, but I'm stumped.

Obviously help would be appreciated, I really want to play this since I convinced three of my friends to buy it and play with me :I

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2011, 11:16:29 pm »

Anyone want to start compiling cool spells?

Arcane+Shield=Magic landmines

Lightning+Arcane=Wreck some shit

Arcane+Shield+Healing=Kickass healing landmines that pretty much instantly fill your healthbar.
I killed everyone with shield+stone+fire... Volcano spell. :D

And I have 2 things to say about the demo:

KALIMAAAHHH KAAAALIMAAHHH (Indiana reference)

And:

Yes it's a lens flare.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2011, 11:19:42 pm »

Has anyone figured out what the auras (Shield+Element cast on yourself, maybe Shield+Arcane+Element, I don't remember) do?  I noticed you spread them to units that touch them.
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:57 pm »

Something buggered up while installing the steam demo :-\

Giving it a re-install, but I'm guessing I'm waiting for the non-steam one to come out. Sad times.

E: Apparently my graphics card doesn't support whatever sort of Direct3D Magicka needs. Bummer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:46:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2011, 11:57:12 pm »

Frumple, DirectX threw an error at me when it was installing but the game ended up starting just fine. Maybe see if you can figure out what it need installed and do it manually? I definitely recommend trying, because this game would be pretty great as just an arena/sandbox and that's only one of the play modes.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2011, 12:02:55 am »

No, no, my graphics card doesn't support it. Nothing the software side can to do about it. Integrated piece of junk. I'll try again when there's a non-steam demo, whenever that comes about.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2011, 12:57:05 am »

Has anyone figured out what the auras (Shield+Element cast on yourself, maybe Shield+Arcane+Element, I don't remember) do?  I noticed you spread them to units that touch them.

Shield + element auras negate damage (or healing) of that element on you, from what I can tell. It get's really annoying when you accidentally life + shield yourself because you can't heal yourself until you replace the aura.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2011, 01:42:45 am »

You can then nullify the spells cast on you. I really love the shield + element combo spells.

Can't wait to see how these spells interact with other players spells tomorrow. Like how you can join beams and cast them at the same time, which you cannot do in single player. Should be fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2011, 02:01:00 am »

The demo is great fun, can't wait for tomorrow.

A few bugs in this game though. My game crashes at the cave in the woods every time I get to it. Seeing some performance degradation too. Managed to bug the game out when:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The aura as said protect you and people within the radius from the elements. But it means you can't use it to go into a crowd of guys and spam AOE.

I love how everything in this game is ridiculously OP, and there are no controls on it. You can annihilate everything on the screen with a frost/arcane AoE, followed by some lightning, just as easily as you can commit suicide with one stupid attack used on yourself. Add in friends, and the most challenging part of this game is going to be figuring out where to stand so you don't die.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2011, 02:12:20 am »

Damn, if I only had know they would release a demo.
I bought the game without hesitating.

Hope it was the right choice.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2011, 04:01:02 am »

I love how everything in this game is ridiculously OP, and there are no controls on it. You can annihilate everything on the screen with a frost/arcane AoE, followed by some lightning, just as easily as you can commit suicide with one stupid attack used on yourself. Add in friends, and the most challenging part of this game is going to be figuring out where to stand so you don't die.

To quote myself: "WOOPS I CAST THAT EXPLOSION SPELL ON MYSELF"

I can't wait 'til we join us a bunch of arcane spells.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2011, 04:24:27 am »

So I got sick of the crashes, reinstalled the demo, and turned shadows and decals down to medium. (My crash reports were pointing to "out of video memory" errors....and I have a 512 card and 4 gigs of ram.)

It ran fine all the way to the end. (And damn them for knowing their marketing!) So I dunno, problems solved I guess.

Anyone get around to imbuing their weapons? ;) To me that's just like the extra slice of cool in the awesome pie. There are a few different weapons/staves too, that impart benefits. All in all its a tidy little package.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:28:43 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2011, 04:37:59 am »

How do you imbue your weapons? I couldn't work it out. Shift+middle mouse click didn't do anything except kill me. :(

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2011, 04:43:55 am »

Cue your elements, then shift + left click to add it to the weapon. When you swing the weapon with shift left click again, it discharge a spell.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2011, 05:34:33 am »

Holy crap, sword attacks are powerful. 4 lightning and 1 arcane applied to your sword gives you an absolutely amazing weapon for despatching groups of enemies.

You can also make straight wall barriers using the sword.

Tip: Whilst charging / casting a spell, you can prepare another spell. It's extremely useful.

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed that goblins always ride you into your AoE effects? It's going to be crazy when your team mates are using them.

"GUYS THERE'S A GOBLIN ON MY BACK DON'T USE AN ELECTRIC SHI - Aww fuck I'm dead."

EDIT2: There's a "You have to burn the rope" reference on the very first boss. Insta-kill!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:06:17 am by Farseer »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45