Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88393 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 01:58:25 pm »

Steam has voice chat too, if anyone was wondering. I don't think the quality is quite as good as Skype, and there might be some delay too.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 03:05:50 pm »

Steam's voice chat breaks my audio post-processing effects. >.<

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »

So any reviews on it yet? Also when I looked yesterday Steam didn't have a price, has that info been released?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 03:31:22 pm »

Not sure if there have been reviews, but I saw something about rock paper shotgun playing it/possibly reviewing it. The price on GamersGate is $10, but I don't remember/have a link to an actual announcement.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 03:38:23 pm »

Steam's voice chat usually works absolutely fine for me, but I agree it's pretty horrible compared to the alternatives.

I've got skype, although depending on how big the game is it might take me a few hours to download on this godawful internets connection.

Can I be Red?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 03:42:33 pm »

Steam says the game is only 500 megs. How that's possible (magic!) I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:41:16 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 03:42:58 pm »

The game looks cool. I might join you guys if you still have a free spot :D
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2011, 03:45:35 pm »

I'd join if I buy it. We could run, like, two sessions. I don't have a mic, though.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2011, 03:46:23 pm »

I am thinking of buying it, seems a bit fun though I am concerned with difficulty.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2011, 03:48:48 pm »

I am thinking of buying it, seems a bit fun though I am concerned with difficulty.

I think, as long as one player is alive, he can revive the rest.
Should be manageable if you're not reckless.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2011, 03:50:17 pm »

I'm Euro btw... maybe we can set up low ping sessions :D
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2011, 03:54:36 pm »

I think, as long as one player is alive, he can revive the rest.
Should be manageable if you're not reckless.

Ohh I meant too easy, not too hard.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2011, 04:15:03 pm »

Two-player co-op has been described as "lethally chaotic." I can imagine 4 is much worse.

I feel, having played Alien Swarm, I am sort of prepared for this game. What no one is prepared for is testing spell combos, or miskeying and launching the wrong attack.

On the playability front, I'm reading that this game had serious netcode issues in a prior build. The retail version is also NOT being shipped atm because some problems remain unresolved.

I found this (unlinked) statement about the game, supposedly from a dev:

So here's the deal. The Steam version of the game is ready and shipped (steam will activate it on the 25th or 26th).

The non-steam version is not ready yet, we still have a few network issues to resolve.

I won't get into the technical stuff too much but the steam version uses steamworks (game browser , LAN, and direct IP) and the non-steam has another solution for online play (which supports LAN and direct IP).

We decided we didn't want to release the non-steam unless it was as stable as the steam version). We don't think it's fair to you guys to start selling a game unless the online play works fine.

So we offered our partners a choice, wait for the non-steam version (no ETA atm) or take the steam version. Most opted for the latter since that'd mean they'd can be a part of the release.

We'll get back to you as soon as we can with more info. But this week is steam week if you want to play Magicka.

I know this will piss some people off, I'd be pissed too. But I know that a lot more people would be pissed if there was no release at all.

Regards,

So, for Steam users, I would expect some problems. The fact it uses Steamworks for its MP is not a guarantee of smooth sailing. There may still be slowdowns, problems communicating through Steamworks, ect....They claim the Steamworks version is the "most stable", but not that it is "completely stable." I.e, the reason for releasing the Steam version first, in my mind, is because of the ease of patching that will doubtlessly occur in the next few days.

So I would strap in for some netcode funkiness.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:16:54 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45