Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: dwarves won't give water  (Read 2778 times)

Nikinyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves won't give water
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 07:59:00 am »

That bug is getting quite annoying... Dwarves in my jail (and wounded ones as well) aren't being fed or given water. I have already lost a champion, legendary carpenter, legendary clothier and several other people to starvation and dehydration due to neglect. I have plenty of dwarves with none other labors but health care, but they just stand with No job...  :confused: Very depressing
Dwarf Fortress - The universe where Elves look like Elephants.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 08:55:00 am »

It was probably related to not having a well. When mine went dry for a short time, they constantly cancelled give water stating the well was dry, yet they had no problem going to the last pond that didn't dry up to drink for themselves. Didn't have it designated as a water source. Also for some reason, they never gave him food when they couldn't find water.

Nikinyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

I have lots of wells and buckets, so it is not the case... idlers actually fed one of starving criminals, but it took them lots of time.
Dwarf Fortress - The universe where Elves look like Elephants.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 11:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ein Syndication:
<STRONG>It was probably related to not having a well. When mine went dry for a short time, they constantly cancelled give water stating the well was dry, yet they had no problem going to the last pond that didn't dry up to drink for themselves. Didn't have it designated as a water source. Also for some reason, they never gave him food when they couldn't find water.</STRONG>

I've heard that dwarves won't fetch water unless said water is designated as a water source.  Otherwise they'll just drink from it.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

I have the same problem. Well room, designated as water source. Brook, designated as water source. Ponds, designated as water source. Buckets. Every dwarf has health care. Nobody does it. I even forced a dwarf to just health care, and she STILL wouldn't aid my injured dwarves. I've got one just about to die, and another right behind him, as well as two other injuries. I can't bring myself to play my fortress right now because of this. :/

To make matters worse, I've got tons of jobs currently going on, tying up pretty much everyone. First aid needs to be much higher priority.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 04:06:00 am »

Does your fort have salt water?

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

I'd like to resuscitate this bug (ha).  I've got a dwarf, a wrestling champion, with only a single yellow injury to a leg, and they will not feed him or bring him water.  There is another dwarf in the same fort with an arm injury to whom they are bringing water and food.

Relevant information:

1. I have five untasked buckets.
2. I have an unfrozen river right outside designated as a water source.
3. The injured dwarf who is not being treated has only a single yellow injury to his leg -- no nervous damage.  (on the other hand, the dwarf they ARE treating has a single yellow injury to his arm, AND brown injury to his upper spine!)
4. The untreated and treated dwarves are both resting in beds.  The treated dwarf is resting in his room, and the untreated dwarf is resting in the single bed in the barracks.
5. I have two dwarves -- one is the mayor, the other a random non-noble dwarf -- assigned to zero tasks except health care.  They stand around with "No Job", except when they bring food and water to the treated dwarf.  They ignore the untreated champion.

I have the save file saved, although he is dehydrated and hungry at this point he'll probably survive a little while longer.  If you would like to look at it, Toady, I can either e-mail it to you, or figure out how to work RapidShare, if necessary.

(edit) IMPORTANT NOTE: Deconstructing the bed upon which the untreated dwarf rested immediately caused the medic dwarves to attend to him.  Perhaps a problem with a barracks bed?

-Dkarrde

[ December 25, 2007: Message edited by: Dkarrde ]

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »

I can confirm the existence of this bug in 33f (haven't played 33g).  I had a dwarf go through an entire jail term without having water brought to him.  It wasn't a very long jail term (26 days?) so he survived, but he was dehydrated and miserable at the end of it.  Buckets available, fresh water everywhere, etc., etc., etc.  The job simply wasn't being created -- if it had been created and cancelled, I would have noticed.

Perhaps related to this, my jailed dwarf wasn't using the bed that was directly under him, so he was tired for the length of his jail term too.  Is that supposed to happen?

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

Sure, I can take a look at the save.

toadyone@bay12games.com or somewhere downloadable
region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z
any new objects that were added to the raw folder

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2]