Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: dwarves won't give water  (Read 2779 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
dwarves won't give water
« on: December 02, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

I'm currently playing 33d, clean install, world generated in 33d.  I have an injured dehydrated dwarf lying in bed and none of the other dwarves will give him water.  The "give water" job doesn't even appear in the job menu.  I have five buckets, plenty of ponds and a brook within easy walking distance, the dwarves can reach both the injured dwarf, the buckets and the water source, and they all have Health Care enabled.  The only thing I can think of that might explain this is that I haven't built a well yet.  But even so, the dwarves should be able to take a bucket to the nearest pond/brook, fill it and give it to the injured dwarf but they don't.

Edit: They aren't giving him food either.

[ December 02, 2007: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Micozeman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves won't give water
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

I got the same case here after a battle : fellow dwarves, rather than rescue a heroic marksdwarf, choosed to clean all the battlfield, even the beak dog corps...
The wounded can't move with his right and left feet badly hurt and no one help him. Right now he just starve in a middle of a slope (with waterskin and backpack full of provisions)
It seem they were not trained by the U.S. Army.    ;)

[ December 03, 2007: Message edited by: Micozeman ]

[ December 03, 2007: Message edited by: Micozeman ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

Do you have a save where this is going on?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

Are you sure that your dwarves have the first aid job (or whatever it's called)? If not, they won't come to the rescue of a fallen dwarf.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Micozeman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

quote:
Are you sure that your dwarves have the first aid job (or whatever it's called)?

It's "Health Care" I think and it's always "on" on each dwarf so you must to put it "off" by yourself one by one if you don't want them help their fellows, thing I haven't done here.
I emailed a file to the chief already. Let's wait and see what he will find on it!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 08:45:00 am »

I've had this happen before too. It started working again when I designated an area as a water source.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:05:00 am »

*Just* lost an elite wrestler to thirst.  I went so far as to assign dwarfs to nothing but health care.

:(

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 09:06:00 am »

Oh and I did not have an area dedicated as water, but I had a well which they used fine for filling in ponds and the like.

Fallonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

If the dwarf has an injury that will never heal, like brain or spine damage, the dwarves will just ignore him because he will eventually die and never be cured.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

My dude had a healing leg injury.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fallonius:
<STRONG>If the dwarf has an injury that will never heal, like brain or spine damage, the dwarves will just ignore him because he will eventually die and never be cured.</STRONG>

You sure? Such clinical cruelty seems uncharacteristic...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>
You sure? Such clinical cruelty seems uncharacteristic...</STRONG>

It's not true for some previous versions, I've seen them feed and water basically brain dead dwarfs in the past.

No clue if it's true now, tho, since I can't get them to bring water to a guy who's got a bum leg that's HEALING.  ARGH!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

That fort got destroyed and I didn't keep the save.  The only thing I can think of is that I didn't have a water area designated.  Next time I get it to happen, I'll be sure to post a save.

Edit: spelling

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Glazius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

It does eventually happen. The job seems to generate only sporadically and even then if the dwarves are doing anything else it isn't likely to be picked up.

I wish military dwarves could still give health care. I mean, taking care of your own platoon at least, right?

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

I'm not sure whether it's a bug or a feature, but dwarves will get thirsty, hungry, and depressed after being bedridden for a long time, irrespective of whether people are caring for them.  I see it as DF's way of saying "Sorry dude, you just aren't gonna make it."  On the other hand, I've seen Very Tough and tougher dwarves stabilize and recover from even red injuries, after a period of years.  The others get the hungry-thirsty-miserable disease after maybe a year of health care, and eventually either die of thirst, or go crazy.
Pages: [1] 2