Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snatchers and ambushes  (Read 1015 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Snatchers and ambushes
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:54:36 am »

I keep getting snatchers,there's just been 4 in a row. I had 2 ambushes at once 2 seasons ago and was forced to lock up the fort. Is there anything I can do? My military is basically 4 dorfs in a mix of iron and bronze stuff, that last ambush took out 3 of my military dorfs aswell.
E: Oh good lord.. another ambush..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:58:18 am by Cheese »

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snatchers and ambushes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:58:29 am »

Mass produce large serrated disks and mechanisms for traps, cage traps are good too.

Nothing beats a good military though.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:59:09 am »

Trap the entrances. 1-tile-wide corridors full of cage traps will stop almost ANY invading force, to the point of boredom...

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:21:55 am »

Sure, but the problem after that is (as you say) avoiding boredom, especially dealing with all the micromanagement of traps :)  How about building a nice mass-invasion-dropper or drowner? 

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:22:23 am »

This is what I do, I just have a mix of stonefall and cages. I was going to redesign it but I hardly got a chance :/
E: Oh wow, my only weapon trap just went off.. The goblin is in 2 pieces.. 2 PIECES  :D
And weapon traps reset themselves over time, right?
E: Feck.. another ambush, 7 goblin lashers.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:31:53 am by Cheese »

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:39:35 am »

Channel a moat around your entrance, with one opening. It creates a chokepoint for ambushers, and lets you narrow your defenses to specific path. If you really need the security, stretch the moat so that it reaches the map edge. This is considered an exploit by some.

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:51:29 am »

I've found chained(or roped if you prefer) kittens detect stealthed goblins nicely.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:55:15 am »

This is what I do, I just have a mix of stonefall and cages. I was going to redesign it but I hardly got a chance :/
E: Oh wow, my only weapon trap just went off.. The goblin is in 2 pieces.. 2 PIECES  :D
And weapon traps reset themselves over time, right?
E: Feck.. another ambush, 7 goblin lashers.

I think the best I got was a guy in 8 pieces.

We should have a competition for who can chop a goblin into the most pieces...

The winner gets a adamantine masterwork serrated disk.

The loser gets stuck with cleaning all the traps.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:28:45 pm »

I have a moat, but the hallway is 3 wide all the way down. It has fortifications on the side for my marksdwarves that the invaders seem to love hugging, but they still go to the other side sometimes. I have a war-dog chained at the end. It's just annoying how everytime they attack one of my dorfs is trapped outside because he ran away from the entrance rather than to and I have to set everyone to my underground burrow. Once I can get a tree farm or something underground my problems will be solved :D
E: This is getting ridiculous now; three ambushes in a row, two appeared right on the bridge..

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:36:34 pm »

Raise it an fling 'em. Then drop it and smash 'em.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 02:03:44 pm »

You need alert systems further out from your fort. Try chaining a kitten far away from your fort. You can also place said kitten at the center of a large wall spiral, causing the gobbos to path to the kitten through the spiral, and filling the path with traps. Best of all, if you use weapon traps, and the path is long enough, survivors will need to walk back out through reset weapon traps.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:52:49 pm »

Yeah I also tie up a couple of animals on the border, you tend to have them coming out of your ears anyway.