Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coming back to DF - Couple of questions.  (Read 447 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coming back to DF - Couple of questions.
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:59:10 pm »

Hello everyone.
I haven't played DF in about a year and just decided to come back to the newest version. I got two questions.

On the bay12games website, on the download page, there's two options to download "SDL" and "Legacy". I went with "Legacy" and it works, but what's the difference between them?

I heard that in this version dwarfs have more body parts for more detailed damage. Examining the dwarfs in game, they seem to have the same parts as they did in the older version. Am I missing something or was I lied to?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coming back to DF - Couple of questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:05:18 pm »

SDL is more current and as stable as Legacy. I don't know exactly what the difference is.

And the dwarves do have more body parts. check combat reports or their injury screen once they're injured. It only shows a few when they're healthy.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:36:38 pm »

Well, the dwarves have the same actual body parts, but now they have tissues and stuff for more detailed combat. You won't see anything new on the injuries screen, but when they're injured you'll notice this in the combat reports and in their description (which has a lot more other stuff in it now, most of it's just for flavor though).

Remember back toward the end of 40d when we had all those versions like 40d9 and 40d16 and whatnot? The SDL version has all the graphical and keybinding updates from that. Might run a bit faster.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:09:32 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems like SDL is better, so I guess I gotta restart my fort. Dangit!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »

no you don't. just move the save file.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.