Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The 'Post pictures of your current fort and compare with each other' thread  (Read 975 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

The title says it all. just please put them in a spoiler or something...
anyway, heres the specs on my fort so far.
Spoiler: Second Spring (click to show/hide)
i have hit the 1st cavern layer and have all it's structures and entrances dangling mid air. it is nearly untouched except for some mining operation. i have a volcano and a brook so i can easily make my silver war-hammers and copper weapons at best. migrants are luckily slow arriving, and food is going really well on the early planting operation. many dwarves are multiskilled on the fact that the migrants are slow coming. i also have a good amount of animals, as well as a couple of modded in 'Blaziken', 'Swampert', and 'Sceptile'. I have one dead thief in my stockpile. All is well.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile

I'd like to see some of these structures hanging in mid air. If you're going to make silver weapons, I suggest maces and hammers, since silver is very heavy but does not hold an edge well. (Unless you're playing 40d)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here is a picture of the current stats of Townbrush;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You might be wondering why the wealth of Townbrush seems abnormaly high in relation to the number of Dwarves. Well, there is a very simply explanation for that.

Yeah we're not doing to well.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

to Carpman: hmm, they are not hanging from the air,  but rather from the ceiling.
at Kraken: oh dang what happened?

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile

In year 7 at the moment, and just taking things slow with this one (Obviously :p) Had 3 sieges, 2 giants, 2 titans, 2 FB's (Only cracked the caverns a year ago) and an Ettin so far, but concentrated on the aesthetic side of things more than anything else (Also just noticed how many farmers I have....holy shit...)
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

at Kraken: oh dang what happened?

A lot of things happened. Embarking on a terrifying ocean means you're going to encounter a lot of zombie fish. And these zombie fish will fight your dwarves. And when you build your forts over the ocean, the zombies are going to crawl into it and murder Dwarves while they're eating/drinking/sleeping.

But that's not what brought Townbrush to ruin. The zombies are merely opportunists, moving in when the Fortress is in a state of disarray. I can attribute three main events to the fall of Townbrush; the attack of Shuturn, the attack of Eslo, and "The Sugar of Executing".

Shuturn the Occult Owner was an Ogre that attacked Townbrush in its early years, and became one of the greatest enemies of the Fortress. A series of unfortunate events, mainly due to a lack of military strength, allowed him to slaughter over 15 Dwarves. Most engravings depict him salughtering Dwarves with his favored tool of destruction, and octorpre skin backpack. He was the first major threat to Townbrush, grinding all work to a halt and spreading chaos through the fort.

Eslo Murkflies was a Forgotten Beast that attacked Townbrush many years after Shuturn. His destruction wasn't as noticeable. In truth, he only killed a handful of Dwarves and never left the Abyss to threaten the fort. But in doing so he paved the road for the downfall of Townbrush. Eslo had an [UNDIRECTED_DUST] attack. He would expel a huge cloud of dust. For some reason, the physcis involving dust are screwed up. The dust knocks everything it touches across the room, including Eslo himself. My miltiary couldn't fight such a threat. My 3 best soldier perished from colliding with obstacles. Only after heavily wounding himself was Eslo slain. These 3 soldiers were the glue holding the military of Townbrush together. Because of their death, the military suffered a steady stream of casualties agains the undead. This is what ultimately lead to the greatest disaster in Townbrush history.

"The Sugar of Executing" is the name given to a massacre caused by a Darnen ambush. The Darnen are a modded race, capable of flight, meaning they can bypass walls and traps. They can wield wepaons up to steel, but they have poor armor, meaning they're easy to kill provided the Dwarf fighting can dodge. None of my Dwarves could. Eslo had killed the best soldiers, the ones that had pushed the Darnen back in the past. The Darnen slaughtered the military, and then proceeded to rampage across the Fortress. Nothing could be done to stop them. In truth, I'm not sure why they left. I believe the trade caravan's guards may have seriously wounded them, so they fled. I'll never know for sure though. This attack drove Townbrush into true chaos. A great tantrum started, one that would last for almost a year. Dwarves killed each other in cold blood. Mothers went insane, and their babies died as a result. What little work that was accomplished only served to keep the Fortress from falling apart. I thought Townbrush would never piece itself back together.

A few months after the tantrum, and the Fortress is still in disarray. However, I am starting to make some progress, even if the undead are ruining most of it. Anyways, that's the history of the Townbrush. Here's the short version; a combined force of Ogres, Forgotten Beasts, Darnen, and undead fish pulled Townbrush into chaos.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

hmmm, did you try to stick a cat on a chain and wait until the FB exploded (literslly) out of joy of cuteness?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hmmm, did you try to stick a cat on a chain and wait until the FB exploded (literslly) out of joy of cuteness?

Actually, I wonder what the effect of being hit by dust whilst chained would be. I imagine the creature's body would simply rip in two. Anyways, I didn't know what dust did at the time, so I didn't perceive Eslo as a threat. Which is why I sent my military marching to their death. Though I probably should have just stationed them near the entrance to the Abyss and waited for the beast to come. Fighting near cliffs, against any foe, is dangerous. I actually lost some soliders to zombie crundles when they dodged them, only to drop several Z levels to their clumsy, painful death.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

Actually, I wonder what the effect of being hit by dust whilst chained would be. I imagine the creature's body would simply rip in two. Anyways, I didn't know what dust did at the time, so I didn't perceive Eslo as a threat. Which is why I sent my military marching to their death. Though I probably should have just stationed them near the entrance to the Abyss and waited for the beast to come. Fighting near cliffs, against any foe, is dangerous. I actually lost some soliders to zombie crundles when they dodged them, only to drop several Z levels to their clumsy, painful death.
I try to percieve the dust attacks as a cave-in happening on th FB's position, because that is exactly what it is (minus any atomsmashing or cavern collapse mesages). a cave in, without anything caving in.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The restraint would be destroyed.

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I forget what year it is currently on but it has been a while since I have 19 legendary soldiers which all they mostly do is train and clean up the occasional goblin failed siege.(also. damn I have a lot of animals. I caged up almost all my animals(except for dogs) so i never realized how much I actually had X.x)

Most of my defense consist of my giant death maze with ballista batteries, animal bait, cage traps, weapon traps, and my dwarf atom smasher(the red bridge on the bottom left)
For everything else that could get through the maze(flying or building destroyer) I use my archer tower and walkways to kill them before they get too close to do anything.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:12:44 pm by Darkcrystal »

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Post pictures of your current fort and compare with each other' thread
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 05:07:45 am »

My defences and suprisingly effective with a well trained military (and the fact sieges happen a lot of the time when the traders are here):

The two bridges mark the start of the killbox (And can be easily closed off) that also acts as a bottleneck with 6 cage traps in (Feed the arena!!!) and 2 weapon traps full of goblinite. After a siege or ambush, it takes on a nice shade of red with body parts splattered everywhere during my 300-like battles (It rains a lot on this biome, so blood has a tendency to get washed away nicely).

Yep, my fort has a shitload of fortifications for my marksdwarves, mainly because goblins tend to like staring at my fort from across the river until winter. The main entrance is the building closest to the trade depot that I keep meaning to put a roof on, with another drawbridge to seal it off. This leads to my entrance corridor with another 8 cage traps. The buildings at the bottom are my armories for training the 3 active squads, whilst the building at the left hand side leads to my mines (So far these only go down to flux layers for steel production) that can also be sealed off in case of HFS or FB's, and has another entrance outside the fortress walls that is covered by a drawbridge of it's own. :)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:10:27 am by MadJax »
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!