Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How good is glass for traps?  (Read 8093 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How good is glass for traps?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 06:03:17 pm »

In my current fort I have a 3x10 field of weapon traps each with 10x serrated glass disks in them. Not a single animal or unarmored enemy has passed over them in 5 years without dying.

And anyone that does get past them is caught in the 3x10 field of green glass cage traps.

Which version of DF? And what are the qualities of the trap weapons and mechanisms?

I used to use green glass because it was usually the only trap weapon I could make in large volumes.  When I did testing in v31 though I had scores of traps only 'glancing off' and 'bruising' vs fur and skin.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 06:10:58 pm »

In my current fort I have a 3x10 field of weapon traps each with 10x serrated glass disks in them. Not a single animal or unarmored enemy has passed over them in 5 years without dying.

And anyone that does get past them is caught in the 3x10 field of green glass cage traps.

Which version of DF? And what are the qualities of the trap weapons and mechanisms?

I used to use green glass because it was usually the only trap weapon I could make in large volumes.  When I did testing in v31 though I had scores of traps only 'glancing off' and 'bruising' vs fur and skin.
The disks are almost universally ordinary quality, the mechanisms I have no idea. When designating 30 traps, I didn't look too closely at the mechanisms.

I can tell you that only one of my mechanics is as high as competent, and the other is dabbling.

And this is the newest version .12 or whatever.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 10:03:07 pm »

Glass weapons work fine against unarmored opponents or mounts.

Sounds like glass is then perfectly usable for the first row of traps,
to deprive the goblins of their mounts (and make their riders vulnerable to the more dangerous metal traps that come after them)
especially as with the newer sub-versions of DF 2010 it seems to become rather the norm than the exception, that goblin invaders arrive on mounts.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 09:02:30 am »

Careful though, if everything bounces off then you end up with a legendary goblin by the time it's gotten through all your traps.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 09:12:45 am »

Yeah I usually open an alternate path when sieges come. The glass traps are great as a constant source of food, and they slice and dice the goblin snatchers and kobolds who are trying to run off.

My alternate path is similar, but has steel serrated disks.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 10:04:36 am »

I have no native flux. :( The caravan brings me maybe 5 pieces if I max out the amount I request.

For whatever reason, my best forts are always missing something important.

It would be awesome if we could grind up flux into powder like we can with gypsum.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 10:07:39 am »

Glass trap components, like wooden ones, still make enemies dodge. I once built a winding 'cat walk' corridor where invaders who dodge sideways will fall down a pit onto some upright spikes (optionally linked to a lever so they can slowly finish the job too). Random weapons then force invaders to keep dodging and 6 out of 8 possible directions to dodge in lead to their doom.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 11:08:23 am »

That.. is a damn good idea. I wish I thought of it before digging out my current trap corridor. Which is still unused since I have invaders off, heh.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »

Glass trap components, like wooden ones, still make enemies dodge. I once built a winding 'cat walk' corridor where invaders who dodge sideways will fall down a pit onto some upright spikes (optionally linked to a lever so they can slowly finish the job too). Random weapons then force invaders to keep dodging and 6 out of 8 possible directions to dodge in lead to their doom.

That.. is a damn good idea. I wish I thought of it before digging out my current trap corridor. Which is still unused since I have invaders off, heh.

I second that. Very innovation, and an excellent use of an otherwise useless trap. Your idea is hereby:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 11:30:01 am »

Wait...  for the spike pit, would green glass or wood be okay to use for the spikes? I have plenty of wood and green glass, and a bit of iron but not enough to have both traps and equipment made out of it. I'd prefer to use the common materials when possible for the traps.

Edit: And would it be okay to use training weapons for the "dodge" traps?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:51:38 am by Beeskee »

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 12:48:30 am »

As already previously noted, glass traps in any form (except cage) suck. Even more than wood.
And sure, it's perfectly fine to use training weapons in your traps. Things in traps are basically just "flung" at the person triggering it anyways.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 01:24:17 am »

I wasn't sure if upright spikes in a multi-z pit worked differently.. I've already churned out a bunch of glass spikes (again, short on materials here) for the pit, I'll see how it goes. :)  I'll have real traps later on in case it doesn't work out.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 01:26:04 am »

The dodge/fall narrow trap path thing is brilliant, I say it is thus.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 01:30:42 am »

Spoiler: Image: My New Pit Trap (click to show/hide)

The walls of it *(on the two levels below) are engraved so invaders can die admiring my fort's artwork. :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:32:30 am by Beeskee »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 01:37:08 am »

It occurs to me that this is probably considerably more lethal and easier to loot if you build the traps with shitty components that are easier to dodge, with the catwalk many more z-levels up, and let the dodge/fall do the heavy lifting.  Maybe have some real traps at the end of the catwalk for stuff that flies though.

light bulb: this kind of thing would be very easy to build above ground too
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5