Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43

Author Topic: Wizard Duel 4 - Duel 7 - Game over! All Hail Criptfeind!  (Read 50984 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel 4 - Day 1 Assist Phase
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2010, 07:56:47 pm »

Gah.

Withdraw assist.

I was quick on the draw because I saw the duelists and basically went "Well, I think it's clear that Solifuge is town and Org is scum, so I'll assist the former."

Can someone quickly tell me why I'd want to assist a stat with an element that doesn't correspond to it?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:09 pm »

Herp. I definitely see a Soli/Vec team. Vector is usually smarter about her choices, instead of rushing.
Trying to make sure your scum bud doesn't die, Vector?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:03 pm »

Mephansteras, is there a time set for the end of the assist phase?  The rules say 48 hours, but there's a weekend.

Derp.
Derp.

You're *really* not helping your case...

Can someone quickly tell me why I'd want to assist a stat with an element that doesn't correspond to it?

That's actually an interesting question...

Mephansteras, there an odd point in the rules:
Quote from: The rules
Observing mages effect the combat by casting an assist spell on one of the mages. The assist is one of the following:
Attack boost (+1 to mage's attack score)
Defense boost (+1 to mage's defense score)
Healing (-1 to all damage the mage receives)
Speed boost (+1 to the mage's initiative)

When making an assist:
Using Fire grants a +1 to Attack actions
Using Earth grants a +1 to Defense actions
Using Water grants a +1 to Healing actions
Using Air grants a +1 to Speed boost actions

Does that mean that a an Attack boost with Water would be +1 each to Attack and Healing?

Herp. I definitely see a Soli/Vec team. Vector is usually smarter about her choices, instead of rushing.

To be quite honest, I just about did the same thing.  I haven't assisted Solifuge yet because I have to head out in about 5 minutes and I'd like a clarification on the previous point.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2010, 08:01:56 pm »

Also, if you don't see the point of me saying my affinity, you really should be thinking harder.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »

Wow! Like it matters, I mean, really? Whatever.

But it does. If you're going to claim you need to do so accurately. Otherwise you look careless in an attempt to pass off a role you don't have.

Why in the world would you reveal your affinity?  Your role, sure.  But why your affinity?

WIFOM for the duel.

If you want to give a boost that matches someone's affinity, or if you want to give only a +1 bonus. Or even if you want to give a +1/2 bonus, which rounds down to zero.

There are reasons. It looks odd though, so people will probably want to know what's up if you do it.

Mephansteras, there an odd point in the rules:
. . .
Does that mean that a an Attack boost with Water would be +1 each to Attack and Healing?

It hasn't been that way in the past but it's still probably a good idea to clear that up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2010, 08:04:58 pm »

Because your scummy self is so likely to be helped by the town, because I'd be worried about a "guard" chewing up my theoretical cabal buddy, and because I'm THAT TRANSPARENT?

(Hint: all of the above are false.)

No, man.  I just happen to be online, now, and wanted to take care of things sooner rather than later.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2010, 08:05:58 pm »

Why in the world would you reveal your affinity?  Your role, sure.  But why your affinity?

WIFOM for the duel.

From Org?  I quote honestly didn't think of that.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2010, 08:08:46 pm »

An Attack assist with Water would be a +1 to attack. If the Wizard you're assisting has Water affinity it would be doubled to a +2, and if they have a Fire affinity it would be halved and round down to 0.

Generally, an assist is best with the Element that corresponds to the type of assist (Fire for attack) but you may not be sure enough of the wizard to want to give them that much of an advantage. Or, if you know their Element somehow, you can use a different element to give a greater boost. For example, a Water wizard who is Attack assisted with Fire only gets +1 (1 for the assist, +1 for Fire, *.5 for cross-affinity), so they're actually better off with a Water assist.

The set-up phase will go until I have all of the actions, or ~5pm Pacific Monday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2010, 08:09:40 pm »

Yeah. Vector. You are looking really bad. BMX or whenever, I was only angrier because I posted more since I didn't have homework. So ha! This is what helpful, TOWN Org is like.

Yeah. I am smart enough to use Wifom for the duel. It really wasn't that difficult of a plan to come up with.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15:58 pm »

No, man.  I just happen to be online, now, and wanted to take care of things sooner rather than later.

There's absolutely no reason to be quick about it, though. There's plenty of time for the people in the ring to make their case, and for other people to make their case for them, and to continue scum hunting.

You were pretty damn quick out the gate to assist Solifuge. So lots of people are going to wonder whether you're out to help you're scum buddy. People like me.

Because your scummy self is so likely to be helped by the town....

You're being extraordinarily presumptuous and I don't like it. Why are you assuming that nobody would go out of their way to help Org? That's not something you're counting on are you?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2010, 08:20:43 pm »

Yeah. Vector. You are looking really bad. BMX or whenever, I was only angrier because I posted more since I didn't have homework. So ha! This is what helpful, TOWN Org is like.

Yeah. I am smart enough to use Wifom for the duel. It really wasn't that difficult of a plan to come up with.

Looking really bad?  Show me, and we'll talk.

Because your scummy self is so likely to be helped by the town....

You're being extraordinarily presumptuous and I don't like it. Why are you assuming that nobody would go out of their way to help Org? That's not something you're counting on are you?

I didn't say no one would help him.  I simply don't think that the town is going to go out of its way to help Org, and I'm not seeing a single assist turning the tables that hard.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:23 pm »

You are comparing Toony and I, through meta. What? We are different players. That would be like comparing Pandarscenic and I.
And the other point you made was that it was not the verbose, town Org from BMX. Somewhat wrong, as in BMX, no one listened to a word I said, which pissed me off as I was the only one making any sense.

Now, for you. You are being irrational and rash with your decisions, assuming Solifuge of being town even though Soli was being silly and defensive, and to me it doesn't seem like normal Solifuge. Solifuge then went ooc about the kitten.

Also Leafsnail. Lurks, posting shit reasons. He said I am pretending to be helpful. Derp herp. Yeah. Okay. Some games, I do not act like this, posting three word sentences. Yet, in such games I have referenced in earlier posts, this is quite false. Such as now. Yeah.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2010, 08:31:37 pm »

You are comparing Toony and I, through meta.

[...]

And the other point you made was that it was not the verbose, town Org from BMX. Somewhat wrong, as in BMX, no one listened to a word I said, which pissed me off as I was the only one making any sense.

No, I'm not comparing you and Toony.  I'm saying that you seem unusually rational, and that whenever I think Toony is unusually mature, he's usually scum.  This is more a meta observation on my own thought processes in relationship to the game than a direct comparison between the two of you.

As far as BMIX goes, I simply don't feel you're acting like you usually do as a cornered townie.  Might be an error of judgment on my part, but it's what I've got.

Now, for you. You are being irrational and rash with your decisions, assuming Solifuge of being town even though Soli was being silly and defensive, and to me it doesn't seem like normal Solifuge. Solifuge then went ooc about the kitten.

I got a read on him.  He reads town to me, and as a townie, he's generally far more useful than you are.  As such, I felt like assisting him over you.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »

Now you are buddying. Its day one. Not many posts, and you are already thinking that Solifuge is really town.
Hahaha.

No. Its a comparison. Really.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2010, 08:35:12 pm »

I don't like this. I'm very much tempted to assist the hell out of Org right now because of this.

I didn't say no one would help him.  I simply don't think that the town is going to go out of its way to help Org, and I'm not seeing a single assist turning the tables that hard.

You don't address the problem of you being presumptuous. Further absent is any mention of Org's alignment.

Apparently to you the reason to assist Solifuge is because you think no one is going to help Org, which really tips me off about what the actual purpose of your vote on Org was. Not that you think he was scum but that you think he'll be easy to eliminate in a duel.

And I'll even bet that you and Solifuge's little verbal skirmish was just a cover to distance yourself.

I am hella tempted to assist Org right now.

No, I'm not comparing you and Toony.  I'm saying that you seem unusually rational, and that whenever I think Toony is unusually mature, he's usually scum.  This is more a meta observation on my own thought processes in relationship to the game than a direct comparison between the two of you.

As far as BMIX goes, I simply don't feel you're acting like you usually do as a cornered townie.  Might be an error of judgment on my part, but it's what I've got.

Meta arguments suck. Screw you and Solifuge for trying them.

Assist Org with Water Healing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43