Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43

Author Topic: Wizard Duel 4 - Duel 7 - Game over! All Hail Criptfeind!  (Read 50910 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel 4 - Duel 7 - Game over! All Hail Criptfeind!
« Reply #615 on: October 19, 2010, 08:38:05 pm »

Yeah. I know Org. You are the man.

Well it seems the last couple pages are 'OMG cable suks!'

Daw.  Congrats Cript!

Hey, we were being evil!  Joker and I were trying to get Cript in the ring so we could assist then NK Leafsnail and have the last duel be the two of us.  Alas, Leaf voted me and there was no way out of the ring.

Thanks man, I knew telling you guys the wrong affinity would come in handy.

You guys were sorta obvious with your betrayal. >_> Need to work on that.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 19, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »

Grats on the win, Cript! Also, it's nice to see my last-ditch gambit at least got to you guys to worry and bicker a bit (Cabal Chat 160-178). After Meph told Joker and I that Cabal couldn't use their kill on one another (which would, in my opinion, add an interesting twist), my plans for survival were quashed. Too bad I didn't get time to teach Jokerman the fine art of Lying Through Your Teeth, since the bluff came across as pretty obvious... there's still certainly potential there! :3

Overall, I think I played a pretty poor game until the chips were down... one of the reasons I wasn't upset by being in the Arena (aside from keeping myself alive) was that it provided an incentive to keep me from lurking, and to get me involved in the game. I'd also like to blame that on my ability to survive for as long as I did. Getting yourself in the Arena is an effective strategy for personal survival, but it's selfish in that it hurts the Tower's chances to nail scum in the Arena.

Well it seems the last couple pages are 'OMG cable suks!'
I didn't feel that we were being sore loosers in MedChat; I was honestly a bit disappointed by the way you three handled the end-game. I was hoping for more duplicity, more wheeling and dealing, and more betrayal. You had means at your disposal and ignored them, leaving the end-game largely up to chance, and banking on your CabalBuddies trusting the false affinities you gave one another. You could have been actively trying to earn victory for yourselves instead... it just made it a rather bland finish, is all.

Also, the gloating was a bit annoying. It wasn't merely a masterful ploy by the Cabal that won the game, but also a rather bad job on the Tower's part (myself included), and a Mafia Game in which it's notoriously difficult to Scumhunt due to the unique vote/lynch mechanic. I tried to be a good sport about the gloating in public, and kept my critiques private, since your victory was deserved.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 19, 2010, 10:07:39 pm »

I suppose the gloating may have been overdone, but are you referring to the last several days in which I keep saying how you guys can not win?

Because that was because I could feel my cabal mates making plane to betray me and I was desperate to reassure them them that if they did not attack one another we would win.

I also see how you could be annoyed by the conservative play, but I think near the end there was a lot of tension and I think anyone who made any sorta move to betray one another would be disposed of very quickly. Thus I did not dare to ask joker if we want to kill toaster at the end.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 19, 2010, 10:15:28 pm »

It's hard to say the cabal is overbalanced when not one got in the ring before there was no way we couldn't, but I still would say it should be tweaked a bit more toward town.  If the forum could support it, I'd say make it 14 players with 3 cabal.  Otherwise, maybe 10/2?
I'm still thinking it's more an issue of not being able to learn much from the outcome of duels than it is raw power within said duels. A bigger tower:cabal ratio could work, but it's sort of just saying "You guys suck, so have a greater chance of being lucky."

I guess it's nice to see Cabal were at least making a vague effort at betraying each other, but it still seems like a feeble last-minute attempt. I guess the best comparison is how much plotting you put into taking down Tower versus how much you spent figuring out how to deal with your teammates.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 19, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »

I guess it's nice to see Cabal were at least making a vague effort at betraying each other, but it still seems like a feeble last-minute attempt. I guess the best comparison is how much plotting you put into taking down Tower versus how much you spent figuring out how to deal with your teammates.

:/

Jokerman and toaster still won. The throne is secondary.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 19, 2010, 10:28:19 pm »

I also see how you could be annoyed by the conservative play, but I think near the end there was a lot of tension and I think anyone who made any sorta move to betray one another would be disposed of very quickly. Thus I did not dare to ask joker if we want to kill toaster at the end.

Once the Cabal win the game it's up to them to make the game interesting for all the tower wizards they just knocked out.

Conservative play sucks. Playing incredibly risky is so much more entertaining for everybody. You may lose, but at least you lost big and still felt like a villainous mastermind in the process.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 19, 2010, 10:30:58 pm »

I like winning thank you.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #622 on: October 19, 2010, 10:41:33 pm »

Shush you.
I was raging because, quite unfortunately, town did not play to its usual styles, nor took the time to actually look again.
Or something.

Mmmk pot.  So far as I can remember, there was quite a lot of herping and derping and not a lot of useful coming from your general direction.  That being why you got sent into the ring and that's why I assisted Solifuge (a month ago... :-\).
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 19, 2010, 10:48:08 pm »

But that is org's style.

He is not a hypocrite, but he really did not help the town here.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #624 on: October 19, 2010, 10:49:08 pm »

But that is org's style.

He is not a hypocrite, but he really did not help the town here.

Can you point me at a game where he did?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 19, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »

Huh?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #626 on: October 19, 2010, 10:52:30 pm »

Where he did help the town?

I'm guessing there has to be at least one, he's played a lot of games.  I just can't think of one.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 19, 2010, 10:53:35 pm »

Oh well.

That, I only said that it is his style to not help the town, and he stuck to it.

I think I said it weird the first time then.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 19, 2010, 11:18:38 pm »

To each their own. I have fun taking stupid risks, going out on limbs, and trying unlikely gambits on the off chance that they work.

Speaking of gambits, now that the game is over, I had a question. While I was in the arena during Duel 1, butting heads with JTF and Vector, and trying to sway assists in my favor, I attempted to leave some breadcrumbs for people considering assisting me:

Anyway, if I live, you'll just have a bit of fire from me to contend with. If I die, you'll be looking at a storm of suspicion. So for your sake, you best hope I survive, hint hint.

I was speaking nonsense and using awkward phrasing, in hopes that I could leave a veiled hint about my Affinity, to people assisting me. I figured it would be too obscure though; basically, I was saying that, though I'd implied Fire as my affinity, if I died, my role-flip would show my affinity as Air... thus if you see this, please assist me with Wind Speed, since it'll help the most. I was hoping that the awkward phrasing would get some scrutiny from the Tower, which might turn up the clue there, while the Cabal would gloss over it, as they don't have to scour over posts for scumtells. I didn't imagine it'd work, but wanted to try it anyway just in case. I was also nervous that I was going to lose the Duel on Day 1, which would have made me rather bummed.

I didn't see any sign that anyone picked up on it, except perhaps Vector's changed Assist:
Assist Solifuge with Fire.
... Yeah, that's it.  Sorry, Jim, but your attempts to sling mud all over me are not going to keep me doing from what seems right.

Assist Solifuge's speed with Wind.

It could just be a coincidence, but it did change from Fire to Wind... and I was curious. Did it actually work for anyone, or was I being stupidly cryptic?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:33 pm »

Stupidly cryptic ^_^;;

I just saw a threat, and swapped because I was more sure about your being town and had read something elsewhere about speed being the most important value when it came to game-winning.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43