Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Catti [a standalone, installable race]  (Read 1894 times)

Nix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Catti [a standalone, installable race]
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:03:31 am »

Hey guys!

As some of you might know, I started spriting DF graphics a little while back hoping people would pick them up and mod something out of them. Well, I've since invested a decent amount of time into researching the modding system and gave it a good effort. This is my result.

A primitive, forest-dwelling civilization, the Catti are exactly what they sound like: catpeople. They breed like, well, cats, and have a decentralized leadership system with a shaman and chief in each village. Their leadership on a civlization level is a high chief and a high shaman (known as a bonetalker or bonedancer, depending on the gender of the Cattus who holds it).

Their military currently consists of spearmen, swordsmen, blowgunners and axemen (who use a specialized "hatchet"). They do occasionally steal from other civilizations (meaning they'll begin hostile to you) - I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to change that. They use wooden armour and metal weapons. I've tried to bar high-tech metalworking from them, but I still need to work out a few kinks at this point.

There are still a lot of things I want to tweak, but I'd still appreciate any critique. And since I'm going to be out of town for a couple days, why not release the alpha and go from there?

So give it a shot, and leave any comments and observations here. Hopefully they work in Fortress mode OK. Have fun:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3028
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:02:58 pm by Nix »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: The Catti [a standalone, installable race]
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:39 am »

Hell yeah!!! I love the concept but I must add that I was very wmused because I had imagined a race like this when I was only 11(I am now 14). I wish to test this out but can they be acsii? I preffer ascii.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:09 am »

They should be completely compatible with graphics off. They have to be, really.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:15:09 pm »

SCOOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:57 pm »

I'm picturing a group of cats wearing armor and cleaning behind their ears.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:52:29 am »

What is the catti.txt for? It looks like a bunchof centances. how will the cati use these?

Nix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:58 pm »

What is the catti.txt for? It looks like a bunchof centances. how will the cati use these?

I'm guessing you're referring to the speech file. It goes into the "speech" folder that's found in "data". It's used in Adventurer mode when you're talking to a megabeast. When they brag about other entities they've killed, they'll sometimes use race-specific taunts. I figured the Catti warranted a few of their own :-)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:43:07 pm by Nix »

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 03:42:12 pm »

This is pretty sweet. Posting to keep an eye on it. Someone else did a race of fox-like creatures that would come trade in the winter, I'm still trying to find it again.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Nix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 04:01:31 pm »

This is pretty sweet. Posting to keep an eye on it. Someone else did a race of fox-like creatures that would come trade in the winter, I'm still trying to find it again.

Those are the Vamarii. They're a part of the Civilization Forge mod. Check it out :-)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 04:15:19 pm »

Cool, thanks. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:20 pm »

I have just downloaded this, and will try it out in my new world. :)
Diggy diggy hole.

Nix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 03:28:31 pm »

Fooled around with the leadership structure a little bit and added in two new positions: the bonetalker/bonedancer (who is their spiritual leader: like a high shaman) and the high chief (who is the civilization leader). You can see them both in the updated graphics below. Both ascend from their more localized equivalents.

Because of their tendency towards thievery, it seems you cannot trade with the Catti in fortress mode - they start off hostile (exporting "terror" ;-D). If you're bent on having them as trading buddies, you may need to either remove that tag in their raws or add item thievery to your dwarves.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:37:10 pm by Nix »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »

Can I butcher them and export Catti-tallow biscuits back to them?

Nix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 11:43:00 pm »

Only if you were to also edit your dwarves to butcher sapients. So no, not as-is :-P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:47:11 pm »

Only if you were to also edit your dwarves to butcher sapients. So no, not as-is :-P
Oh I do, in every game I play.

Excellent, I shall be adding these immediately.