Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: DF Mythbusters 2010  (Read 8671 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
DF Mythbusters 2010
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:25:39 am »

I've been noticing a need for MythBusting threads to make a reappearance. I may not be the best one to restart this, because I don't usually get forts to the point where I can easily test myths, but I am hoping this might inspire me.

I know that the very nature of DF can create odd myths about what will work/fail. Let's test them FOR SCIENCE!
At any rate, two myths to debunk:

1. Building Destroyers can't destroy "Up" (meaning: they can't destroy floor grates/magma buildings above them)
- should be easy to test with some FBs.

2. Magma at The Top Of The Sky, meeting Water at The Top Of The Sky will form natural rock that is "attached" to the heavens. (constructions attached to this need not be connected to the ground?)
 -a 2-part myth, I am having a little difficulty getting magma up to the top z level, let alone getting it to meet up with water, this is a mini-megaproject for me currently.

Anyone have any other myths that need testing?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Mythbusters 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 06:37:58 am »

A possible corollary of 2, which is probably easier to test, would be that constructions attached to the sky also anchor to it.  Unless the game doesn't let you put walls on the highest z-level; I've never actually tried to do this.

Also, you could possibly use DFHack to make it a bit easier to get magma up high.  Though it seems to not be letting me spawn the magma all the way up at the top z-level.  Or actually anywhere above one z-level off the ground.  Huh.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:39:59 am »

Unless the game doesn't let you put walls on the highest z-level
the game doesn't let you put walls on the highest z-level - my conjecture is that this is because they would "stick to the sky".

I have a fort that has a magma pipe, this should be relatively easy to get a few units of magma up high enough.

EDIT: and no sooner do I type this, then I get a season-change crash. *sigh*
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:40:56 am »

Try making flying walls in the arena. You can mix lava and water there, after all.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:01:02 am »

I just tested mixing water & magma at the top Z-level of the arena, and the resulting rough-hewn rock walls stay in place. I'll leave testing this in Fortress mode to DF players more experienced than me, but this is tentative support for myth #2 being real.

Edit: There was nothing under the walls to support them, and nothing around them. The only place they could have been getting support from was the Top Of The Sky.
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:00 am »

That's actually pretty cool. Make an unseigable fortress which hangs from the sky, then place fortifications near the bottom and watch as your sky castle annihilates goblins and orcs.

Halykan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:04:20 am »

I just tested mixing water & magma at the top Z-level of the arena, and the resulting rough-hewn rock walls stay in place. I'll leave testing this in Fortress mode to DF players more experienced than me, but this is tentative support for myth #2 being real.

Edit: There was nothing under the walls to support them, and nothing around them. The only place they could have been getting support from was the Top Of The Sky.

I think the only thing to do now is find some intrepid Proficient Architect/Mechanics and make a cast-obsidian Dwarven Space Elevator.

I wonder if there's any Hidden Fun Stuff on the Moon.
If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
clicky

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:21:39 am »

1. Building Destroyers can't destroy "Up" (meaning: they can't destroy floor grates/magma buildings above them)
- should be easy to test with some FBs.
Flying destroyers, I think, can. Although, I don't know if a hatch can be destroyed if there's an up stair below it regardless.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:30:49 am »

I tested in arena as well. Walls safely hang at the highest z-level and can support walls UNDER them, but if I try to attach a wall adjacent to a wall that is not hanging on sky, but on wall that is hanging on sky, it will cave-in. Goodbye, flying forts  :'( (Yes, I know this result can be achieved by turning cave-ins off)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 12:13:50 pm »

I tested in arena as well. Walls safely hang at the highest z-level and can support walls UNDER them, but if I try to attach a wall adjacent to a wall that is not hanging on sky, but on wall that is hanging on sky, it will cave-in. Goodbye, flying forts  :'( (Yes, I know this result can be achieved by turning cave-ins off)

I'm curious if any combination of construction can be made to be supported- say, if you build a support below the flying obsidian and built a floor under that, or if you cast the entire fort out of obsidian.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:33:04 pm »

Anyway, how are you going to get magma and water on top level? You'll have to place floors on top level, which can't be placed... (or can they?...) And even if you succeed, you'll already have a pumpstack in the heavens which can be used for basing fort off! :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 12:43:19 pm »

You can build walls on the level one level below the top level, then build pumps on top of those walls.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 01:12:12 pm »

Hm, this should be quick and easy to test using dfhack.

-runs off to gen a world-

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 01:39:07 pm »

Yep this works. I spawned magma and water on top of walls constructed just below the upper level and they created an obsidian wall. When I deconstructed the walls below it, it stayed up.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 01:46:41 pm »

screen shot plz
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5