Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cloth/thread dyeing consumes multiple dye units  (Read 857 times)

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloth/thread dyeing consumes multiple dye units
« on: November 17, 2006, 04:40:00 am »

Pretty self explanatory.  If there's a stack of dye plants [4], they'll be milled into a, er, bunch of dye [4], which the dwarf will haul to the dye workshop (dyeria?), and then there will be an empty bag.

Eventually, it would be cool to use multiple unit of dye mixed with others to make custom colors, so you don't need one plant/color, but until that's implemented, I think they should a) be using 1 dye/cloth or b) display some refleciton of how much dye in the color.  That is, one unit of dye might make light turquoise, and 5 dark turquoise.  The only hesitation with that is the current color system; there's potential for cloth being colors like dark pale pink, which makes no sense.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Cloth/thread dyeing consumes multiple dye units
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »

Okay, I'll set up a report for the bug side of this.

As far as the coloration goes -- rather than just tacking on adjectives, it could have the dye seek another color in the raws that matches the rgb values.  There are issues with this as well though, but it'll potentially allow mixing of dyes (and paint, etc) later on.  I'll just have to handle the worst grammar problems as they arise once a mixing/dilution system is in place.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth/thread dyeing consumes multiple dye units
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »

Thinking about suggesting that.  As a perfectionist, I want to be able to satisfy every whim, which means having every color available, which right now means having 89 dye plants.  Yes, I counted.  And implemented.  I think I'm up to 49 now, indoor and outdoor, and it's working really well.  It would be lovely to be able to mix them, though.  

Also, I think dwarves should be able to color engravings, statues, etc.  Greeks did it.  Then again, dwarves probably appreciate raw stone.  Meh.  Whatever.