Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: What do you want to see in the next version of DF?  (Read 10825 times)

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to see in the next version of DF?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2010, 02:24:42 am »

First?  Bugfixes.  I'm not sure what bugs there are, but if people are talking about bugs in this thread that aren't vermin their cats hunt down, clearly, there's an issue somewhere I've yet to run into.

Second?  Lightning.  If a siege of goblins in iron armor is sitting on the map during the middle of a thunderstorm, there should be some fried goblins.

Third?  Variation in the lava tube.  I can only build up near the top of the volcano, and I thiiiiink the smith's none to pleased about it.

Fourth?  Blizzards.  When a snow storm comes, there should be a chance it gets so bad that you start losing dwarves/humans/elves/goblins in the snow.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2010, 07:08:48 pm »

From the less-is-more school of thought, here's what I'd like to see happen.

* The ability to define what direction things are built in; not just for wall/floor/etc. constructions, but also for when you're setting up workshops

Something like "BCW then W again and dwarfs build that wall segment from the north"
~~~~
Bugfixes should take priority imo.
After that, FPS boosting tweaks (if possible) and hauling changes, multigrasp, dorfs using pack animals for stone hauling etc.
Improved AI. Its really annoying when you play the game, have fun, and all of sudden you loose a caravan, UristmcArmorer or anyone because they run in the open rather than try to run back inside.
Aside from that, making tardes not run away like assholes when that one ass/mule/horse dies from a lucky goblin shot. Who runs away for few dozen miles from goblins, when there is a dwarf fort with traps and berserkers just around that magmy megaproject??
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:10:27 pm by Z1000000m »

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2010, 07:37:46 pm »

Trading that isn't totally uninteresting.

Only weeks into playing the game I figured out that the trade agreements were absolutely pointless. The human and dwarven caravans bring some of pretty much everything regardless, so requesting stuff is kinda moot. And when you DO need to request stuff: (say you have no steel and need to import it) you can max out your request for steel bars and have the next caravan bring you a healthy helping of three or so bars. The effects of the agreement are so subtle they make virtually no difference. I should be able to request them to bring 5k dwarfpounds of steel if that's what I need. It could be at an extreme markup, and that be great with me, because that leads into the next point:

Invaders drop so much crap, virtually no fort needs to produce any goods whatsoever. All the different economies are pointless. I dump half the crap from invaders and still end up giving away thousands of dwarfbucks in socks and crap to caravans just to get it off my map.

Right now elves are the only traders that bring any interesting goods period. Exotic animals are the only things that are likely scarce amongst the caravans.

Ideally you could put in requests for specific creatures. You might have to wait years for them to finally catch one and bring it, and the asking price could be something like 10k, but it would be so much more gratifying than any current trade.

For getting steel bars through imports though, I find you're best bet is to max out all three iron ores, iron bars, pig iron bars, steel bars, all the available flux stones, both coal stones, processed coal and charcoal and expect to do some processing yourself.  All that stuff weighs so much you won't see much of anything else on a caravan.  I'll add the caveat though that I haven't done that in 0.31.* yet, and when I did it in 0.28.*, especially 40d, I had to up the trade capacity of wagons to get enough to keep work going for more than a season (the one in particular I was building a city out of brass another was a citadel of iron... bonus points to any who get the second reference, the first is too easy ;D).

Since I'm posting in this thread anyway: 
I'm personally in the bugfix, cleanup and optimize before adding more crowd.

Even then it's still not satisfactory.

But really, I think that polishing trade would provide more reward for the least amount of effort than any other pending additions/tweaks to the game (not including bugfixes and optimization).

The good thing about optimizing trade would be that it would bring out maximum use of other features that are already implemented.

Think about the economies: right now they're just kinda "extra." Rarely, if ever, do you actually have to rely on an economy; you can invest into one if you feel like it. Case in point: last caravan I gave away over 50k of items that were just laying on my map from invaders.

Making it possible to request resources from caravans in large amounts (for a high markup) would make many more sites suitable for a fort. No sand? No iron? No tree? No stone? Rely on trade, and need an economy to support it.

As a result, the different economies would have value; you would have to use what your site has to let your fort grow. Forts would be more unique; they would have to really adapt to their surroundings. More, barren sites would be usable.

As far as I know, the things needed to do this are already implemented, the values just need to be tweaked so that it actually makes a difference. Implementing trade agreements with the other races can't be too hard. The result would be a much more fulfilling experience.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:40:07 pm by Zebra2 »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2010, 11:12:27 am »

@up

actually, I think that implementing fluid and expanded economy system basing on which cities have accese to what resources are availible for them, and that economy laws that say that the more products you sell of the same type, the less valuable they become is brilliant, but I honestly doubt that it will be (if it will be that is) implemented anytime soon.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2010, 02:21:00 pm »

1) Blood that dries up and goes away.
2) Dwarves who drop their rotten clothes on the ground and pick up new clothes.
3) A fix for the "you don't get a baron unless you wait for the caravan to leave before talking to the liason" bug.
4) Some balancing of material types with regards to weapons and armor.
5) Much much improved FPS.

I don't care about adventure mode, I just want dwarf mode to be better.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 06:38:00 pm »

Some of these posts make me nervous.  Starting to get the feeling that Square Enix is infiltrating the suggestion-type threads.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2010, 08:17:12 pm »

I can't wait until there is mass migration and "retire fortress". I am also looking forward to a more entertaining adventure mode.

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2010, 08:51:57 pm »

I think they are automatically cleaning the fish, now. Which is good. I want to set up limits on animals like kittens so over that limit they are automatically slaughtered. Killing kittens and cleaning fish used to get to be a drag in the older version.

Dwarfnorris101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2010, 09:08:11 pm »

FIX DUNGEON MASTER

Snappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2010, 11:12:38 am »

In no particular order:

1) Exclusion burrows (so you can forbid areas without having to designate ALL OTHER AREAS)
2) Zoom-to-creature from the new military screen (so you can find out what the HELL the slackers are doing without cross-referencing the (u)nit screen.
3) Assigning tombs to dead dwarves/view stats of the dead
4) "x has been struck down"... death announcements for enemies.
5) Trade agreement sliders with greater effect. Maybe even have the default be in the middle so you can discourage them from bringing goods you don't want (bads?).

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2010, 12:39:34 pm »

I'm all in agreement on the natural disasters thing, nothing shouts DF like a fortress flood, even if it was caused by the gods and not you.

I'd also like even more customization in the raws, but that's a minor concern.  There are some bugs I want fixed.

And to the guy complaining about the user interface: Fuck off, deal with it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2010, 04:22:51 pm »

Making it possible to request resources from caravans in large amounts (for a high markup)

Yeah, no more of this namby-pamby 212% price.  I want to offer 1000% price for the stuff I want (in addition to the 'value added' system I think I already mentioned).  Tweaking that slider so that the far right is 1000%, or at least 500%, would be nice to hold me over.

(Not listing things they can't provide wouldn't be bad either...)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:17 pm »

OH! Another thing, added uses for power besides fucking pumps. Like seriously, it's kinda weird that I'm not allowed to use machinery to make a repeater

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:59 pm »

Making it possible to request resources from caravans in large amounts (for a high markup)
Really need this. "Bring me all the x you can carry or GTFO".

More control over worldgen.

Improved FPS of course.

Sending caravans of your own.

Balanced/fixed farming.

Sx2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2010, 02:27:14 pm »

variations of rain! seasonal heavy rain that causes a flow of water down the side of the mountain that could be used to power waterwheels to power pumps and stuff.

i mean, weather and geography could affect the positioning of the fortress now! imagine a dry summer where the meadows are green, then a bloody wet season where floods happen and a wrong entrance to ur fortress could mean fun for your dwarves or the trade caravan.

and probably snow melting that causes flash floods and avalanches. or earthquakes that causes cave ins on areas of ur fortress that isnt made out of stone, and even change the landscape! HURRICANES! FOREST FIRES! ERUPTIONS! 2012!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7