Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any problems with my skycity idea?  (Read 2398 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any problems with my skycity idea?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 05:04:40 am »

I have heard a rumour that if you create obsidian at the Top Of The Sky then it can attach itself to heaven, and be supported without contact with the ground.

...this may or may not be true, since I have never managed to get magma and water up that high, let alond get them into contact, considering that you can't build walls on the top level.

Walls shouldn't be required.

2 pump stacks, facing each other over a 1 tile floored gap, should produce the keystone for the experiment.

Then you deconstruct the connecting pumps & floor tiles to see if it falls. (Yeah, I've never got that high either).

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 12:32:09 am »

How effective are exploding booze barrels now as weapons? Can I launch aerial attacks on the whatever the hell infinite spawn below by dropping booze barrels out of my fort followed by magma?

I know I COULD drop just the magma, but why do that when I can drown my enemies in flaming booze, too.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 12:42:02 am »

How effective are exploding booze barrels now as weapons? Can I launch aerial attacks on the whatever the hell infinite spawn below by dropping booze barrels out of my fort followed by magma?

I know I COULD drop just the magma, but why do that when I can drown my enemies in flaming booze, too.

I'm honestly not sure if this is dwarfy or sacrilege.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 05:40:42 am »

I have heard a rumour that if you create obsidian at the Top Of The Sky then it can attach itself to heaven, and be supported without contact with the ground.

...this may or may not be true, since I have never managed to get magma and water up that high, let alond get them into contact, considering that you can't build walls on the top level.

This has been tested over in the Mythbusters 2010 thread and found to be "true, but useless". Any walls at the Top Of The Sky will be supported by the "sky ceiling" but will be unable to provide support to anything. So all you can do with this method is a single layer of obsidian walls at the top Z-level; try to build ANYTHING else up there, and instant cave-in.

A single ground-based pillar is still necessary.
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

Whisp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:09 am »

I have heard that if, at that altitude, a hammerdworf hits a Kolbold hard enough, it can go into orbit and every few seasons you will see said Kobold fly over head.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:02:56 am by Whisp »

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 07:03:25 am »

I have heard that if, at that altitude, a hammerdworf hits a Kolbold hard enough, it can go into orbit and every few seasons you will see said Kobold fly over head.
That'd only work if the hammerdorf has 5000 strength and the hammer is made of slade.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 07:39:06 am »

This has been tested over in the Mythbusters 2010 thread and found to be "true, but useless". Any walls at the Top Of The Sky will be supported by the "sky ceiling" but will be unable to provide support to anything. So all you can do with this method is a single layer of obsidian walls at the top Z-level; try to build ANYTHING else up there, and instant cave-in.

A single ground-based pillar is still necessary.
I wonder if you attach magma-made walls below it if those will act differently than constructed walls....

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 11:30:04 am »

Well, in the arena at least, if the keystone has obsidian cast under it it will stay up. I have to wonder what happens when you visit this fort in adventure mode. Will if collapse upon entering the site or once you can see it's held up by nothing?
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 11:33:14 am »

Well, in the arena at least, if the keystone has obsidian cast under it it will stay up. I have to wonder what happens when you visit this fort in adventure mode. Will if collapse upon entering the site or once you can see it's held up by nothing?

It will probably collapse, just like glacier forts too close to the edge of the glacier. (temp is figured differently in Adventure mode, and you can "bring" warm weather with you - I am guessing you-the-adventurer can "bring" more sky with you)

This brings to mind wonderful ideas for adventurer-traps. Imagine having the sky fall on an adventurer when they (T)ravel in!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 02:18:47 pm »

It's true, but the tile you have up there doesn't give support itself, so you can't build sky-anchored constructions, sadly.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 06:51:07 pm »

Coincidentally, I had built such a city recently -- a massive city supported by a single stair column.  I hadn't planned some things well, and I was having a problem with goblin crossbowmen on a nearby hill being able to pick off my guys, so I decided to pull the plug -- deconstruct the column, go get a sandwich, and then see the city crash to the ground.

And indeed, after a lengthy break, the city was reduced to a massive plume of dust and a mountain of rubble.  Eleven dwarves survived the collapse, barely clinging to life with broken bodies and crushed spirits.  The Mayor was among these.

"Hear ye, hear ye," rasped the Mayor in the strongest voice he could muster, lying in a pile of his own broken limbs at the ruined base of the spire.  "Until further notice, the export of floodgates is prohibited!"
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 08:25:47 am »

can adamantine constructions be broken, or are they an exception?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 10:16:07 am »

can adamantine constructions be broken, or are they an exception?
Constructions can't be broken whatever they're made of.

Buildings can, but I'm not sure if the material makes any difference.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: 1 [2]